The World

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

genesis
Wizard

Invention

#21 Post by genesis » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:43 pm

Oh, and if you're going to become a scientist and want to start "researching stuff", e.g. blackpowder or something like that, ask a wizard (or preferably Abharsair) whether it's OK to invent blackpowder and what you have to do (that is, how many game hours reading books, tossing money into the project and so on) until your character really invents it.
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Abharsair
Site Admin

#22 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:11 pm

I really understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for detail concerning Geas' history, lore and legends, but we wizards can not supply you with the amount of information you want. It's not that we don't want to, it's just that we simply don't have the time to write all the stories. Well, at least not if you also want new areas, guilds, crafts, features, etc.

You want to know what zodiac signs can be seen in the night sky during winter? No idea, but you can write it if you want, send it to us, and if it doesn't conflict with anything which is already known, we'll make it a part of the offical world.

Personally I'm a proponent of leaving it to the players to make up the details of the world, and I see no harm in having two or more conflicting versions of a story as long as no one claims to have the one and only true, wiz-sanctioned one if it's not. However, if there is a demand for more guidance and less freedom, I won't stand in its way. But as I said earlier, we simply can't provide you with things such as an empirical essay on the public sanitary facilities of the southwestern part of Elvandar City.

OK, so let me repeat again: if it's a basic question of significance (e.g. "Are there more gods than the seven known ones?") we can provide you with an answer if you ask us, and yes, there is probably some disagreement of what can be considered significant and what can't, but I'm afraid to tell you that you have to leave that decision to us. On the other hand, if you have an idea for some background, or a legend, or whatever else might fill a gap in history or common knowledge, ask us whether we think it could be beneficial for the game, if there is already something known about it, and then we'll most likely give you the opportunity to contribute your idea to the game.

What we do not need are vague ideas which aren't even put into useable text ("Hmm, what about ... uhm... pink dragons of thunder... no... doom! Yes! In Giat!"). What we also don't need are elaborate stories which completely contradict everything which is already known, because the author didn't bother to consult anyone beforehand ("And so Gwen created the orcs and the humans and put both races on a tropical island where they played Survivor until the end of time."). Things like that happened in the past, and the people who wrote/suggested the ideas then were offended because we didn't use the material. So please if you intend to contribute something, consult us before you actually spend time and work on writing such things.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

vurdijak
Hero

info request

#23 Post by vurdijak » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:05 am

i have surfed through much of Wiki, the Geas homepage, and even this forum, and the lore and legends that I have found so far has been limited.
I like the idea of the players contributing their share, and I want to help as well. It would be helpful if there were a place on the web, like wiki or the homepage, that had all known lore, legends, history etc compiled together so that I could read it and start writing stories that dont conflict with it. Of course then i would submit my stories to the wizzes for approval. if there is already something like this then please point me in the right direction