Sathonys guild

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Sathonys guild

#1 Post by ganandorf » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:56 pm

So Question now that kaspars has quit and Aragog has been completely removed from the game therefore leaving no dreadmaster in the sathonys guild, does that basically remove the guild from the game or what??
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#2 Post by luminier » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:59 pm

i think they wanted these questions directed to drake or abharsair
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:01 pm

ill try that too
Meow

anglachel
Site Admin

#4 Post by anglachel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:40 am

So far as i know it is planed to overwork the guild and then reopen it.
But only if there some player who want be hated from everyone and like to be hunted day and night. :twisted:

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 am

Too bad my current RP really does not leave room for such things...sometimes the lure of the dark side is strong(having a really dull day, for example...) And there is that other stuff...sigh.

Dreams of Delia the Arch-Heretic
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:40 am

man id kill for a darkie. iunno about a sathos but order member or otherwise for sure. ive never been a fan of all the miracle pizaz. im a cold mithril thru ur chest kinda guy.

hsparks
Journeyman

#7 Post by hsparks » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 am

Real men use iron.
"If there truly is an evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind."

jezz
Hero

Re: Sathonys guild

#8 Post by jezz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I think it makes sense now to remind this topic, from 2006.

viewtopic.php?t=323

I don't want this to sound like an attack, but rather as a doubt and maybe a sign that something has changed a lot since back then:

"To prevent that to happen we often use a thorough screening process for characters who want to submit themselves to the dark side, and that again makes evil characters quite lonely."

Edit:
I edited the post because I think it makes no sense now to bring back the point it addressed. I still can't discern between the wizs screening a char to avoid he/she only joins the evil side to be kewl, and an evil char screening a char to avoid he/she only joins to be kewl, spy on the guild or simply join because he wants to have one char in every GEAS guild.
Last edited by jezz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 pm

well theres screening processes and then theres what aragog apparently did. of course i don't have first hand experience just hearsay.

ganandorf
Overlord

#10 Post by ganandorf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I didnt think the screening process was that tough, and i was a hairs-width away from joining *i think*. It takes just as much time and dedication to join the sathonys guild as to join some other guilds (namely those harder to join like the rangers).
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 pm

jezz wrote:I still can't discern between the wizs screening a char to avoid he/she only joins the evil side to be kewl, and an evil char screening a char to avoid he/she only joins to be kewl, spy on the guild or simply join because he wants to have one char in every GEAS guild.
The first difference that comes to mind is that wizards have a pretty good birds-eye view of what players do in the game, and thus probably have a lot better idea of who cheats, spies, or just wants a char of every flavour than players, whom have a lot more limited view of things, which is often reliable on gossip which isn't always accurate or complete. Which means players have better chances of screening out a sincere player due to false suspicions, which is a potential fun-killer for both sides, and that isn't really a desirable effect that we're looking for in the mud, I think. Not to mention, for what it's worth, wizards have more authority over players than other players, especially on the matter of cheating or spying.

Drake
Wizard

#12 Post by Drake » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 pm

IC screening, tough or otherwise is not only perfectly fine, but very much desirable (at least for the tough type of screening), and that goes for all guilds, even secondary guilds which have player controlled joining.

If however OOC reasoning/knowledge is brought into this process, for example discovering a new applicant has an alt you don't like/is in a guild that is an enemy guild, that is when it does not become ok, even when its masked by using that OOC knowledge to find/make up any IC excuse nessecary to bring that OOC desire of not letting an applicant into your guild.

The tough IC selection process will in most cases take care of those fitting an 'undesirable' designation, because in almost every case I've ever watched, those undesirables usualy trip over their own feet and tongues so many times no one would need to go fabricating anything because the undesirable applicant is their own worst enemy. If people are made to work at getting where they want to be, you'll automatically weed out those who don't really want to be there, and those who are incapable of being there.

And lets face it, if a player is capable of roleplaying a character well enough to pass a tough and lengthy screening with flying colors, then you've almost cetainly gotten yourself a very good player who will be, along with their character, a very good addition to your guild.

Yes, geas is a game, but it is a roleplay game, an IC world for IC actions, seeing people act for OOC reasons is quite disheartening for me personally and I am sure other roleplayers would agree.

Drake
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

Blizt
Hero

#13 Post by Blizt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Hell, Blizt will do it.

1)He is a hated asshole.
2)He likes to torture people
3)sacrificing them would be even more fun
4)gives everyone else on the mud the chance to seek revenge for his former assanine antics!

If not, he will just hunt you all down anyways.
Torture you.
Eat your babies.
Then have a beer.

Not to mention, He would have very much fun doing so :D

stilgar
Champion

#14 Post by stilgar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 pm

:twisted:

So.. why open Sathos when you can have a crusader who does exactly the same (apart from sacrificing :wink: ), just the reasons differ?

:lol:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

luminier
Overlord

#15 Post by luminier » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:06 pm

naw it for those reasons he ain't a crusader lol