Theft or not?

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

matusalem
Master

Theft or not?

#1 Post by matusalem » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:44 pm

After defeating an enemy in stunmode, is it considered theft by game mechanics to take items off the incapacitated monster? Will it negatively affect karma?

Delia
Overlord

Re: Theft or not?

#2 Post by Delia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 am

I think the game mechanics will not treat that similarly to 'pick pocket'. One could have tons of questions though about what is the difference between picking a pocket and beating/killing someone and then taking their stuff :twisted:
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:17 am

well delia the difference is, one of these people have big muscles while the other does not.

but no it's not treated as pick pocketing.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

stilgar
Champion

#4 Post by stilgar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:45 pm

luminier wrote:well delia the difference is, one of these people have big muscles while the other does not.
I'd love the idea of a 3 meters high, hissing muscular thief :twisted:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

sun
Master

#5 Post by sun » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:54 am

matusalem wrote:After defeating an enemy in stunmode, is it considered theft by game mechanics to take items off the incapacitated monster? Will it negatively affect karma?
This is a good point.. It really should.

Zengo
Professional

#6 Post by Zengo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:07 am

Well, just use your good judgment here.

If you think it should count as pickpocketing, and you do not want to be a pickpocket.............do not do it.

If you do not care, and see no reason why you should not do it.....the go ahead. Just act accordingly to how your character would act.

ramandu
Professional

#7 Post by ramandu » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:04 pm

I think the point here is that looting is not coded.

This may be difficult to code, but the idea of an honorable warrior stripping an enemy and selling his/her stuff and collecting the coins off the dead is not c/w with roleplay. I am sure that there are IC reasons that one could justify the actions: i was destroying evil and am putting the left-over coins to good use rather than allowing them to be lost or used by evil, etc. However, killing just for the sake of looting should be roleplayed.

I guess my point is that geas is not scored and if your goal as a player is to amass fortune, you have an obligation to a build a character for whom such behavior is consistent. Conversly, if you have built a character who is going to punish thieves, they ought to have an awfully good rational to loot a corpse. (or at least the player ought to realize that they are intentionally creating a flawed and hypocritical character if they do so.)
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

sun
Master

#8 Post by sun » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:06 am

ramandu wrote:I think the point here is that looting is not coded.

This may be difficult to code, but the idea of an honorable warrior stripping an enemy and selling his/her stuff and collecting the coins off the dead is not c/w with roleplay. I am sure that there are IC reasons that one could justify the actions: i was destroying evil and am putting the left-over coins to good use rather than allowing them to be lost or used by evil, etc. However, killing just for the sake of looting should be roleplayed.

I guess my point is that geas is not scored and if your goal as a player is to amass fortune, you have an obligation to a build a character for whom such behavior is consistent. Conversly, if you have built a character who is going to punish thieves, they ought to have an awfully good rational to loot a corpse. (or at least the player ought to realize that they are intentionally creating a flawed and hypocritical character if they do so.)
Yep, I agree. And even when you try to justify picking stuff off of corpses, if you're really rigid and strictly goodie goodie you are still taking something that isn't yours, even if the guy who owned it was scum. It is of course maybe justifiable if you put it to good use or donate it, but there is not only advantages in such reasoning. If the coins go for your own fun and profit, It could be considered evil..