Throwing

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

gojin
Master

Throwing

#1 Post by gojin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:45 am

Sup,

I was certain I started a similar thread long ago but cant find it. This forum could use a search engine. If it already has one just mail me the dunce cap. Anyways,

Knowing how well other aspects of this game are coded I am assuming that the delay between throwing a huge battleaxe and a tiny throwing dagger are vastly different right? Goj doesnt throw a lot of huge battleaxes but he does throw alot of daggers and I find the delay between wield -> throw and throw -> any other action dreadfully slow. If its even worse for heavier weapons then I guess I have no complaint.

*misses the days when he could throw 5 consecutive throwing daggers without delay like an anime ninja*

*misses squishy bags... but that is another thread*

PO Goj

Edit: Found the search option, am wearing the dunce cap :oops:

anglachel
Site Admin

Re: Throwing

#2 Post by anglachel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:37 pm

The delay of a battleaxe is double so long as the delay for a simple dagger.

krelji
Hero

#3 Post by krelji » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Considering that a battleaxe is much heavier than a dagger I don't
think if the delay would be large enough. I think there should be a
huge difference between weapons that are being crafted for throwing
like throwing daggers, spears, etc and weapons that aren't designed
for throwing. Of course this would have to go on top of the delay that
is being caused by the weight of the thrown object.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Grindel
Veteran

#4 Post by Grindel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 am

Grindel does not use throwing daggers, but I always thought they were designed for rapid and repeated throwing, otherwise there would be no difference to normal weapons...

Watching a knife thrower shows that it is possible to throw at a rate of one knife per second.

Maybe a special sheath (neatly attaching to the waist or arm) containing a set of throwing daggers would enable this: Just like loading from a quiver speeds up archers, throwing a dagger from this special sheath could reduce the delay dramaticly.

Make the number of daggers a person can throw in a row before pausing depend on the throwing skill and the use of throwing daggers will get a lot more interesting.

gojin
Master

#5 Post by gojin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:01 am

Grindel spoke the exact words from my brain. Goj already walks around with a pair of throwing daggers sheathed on his arms and I wouldnt mind making real use of his throwing skill. Plus, and most importantly, it would be fun.

As it is now I still use the throwing daggers but really only for aesthetic value. Would be much more fun if they were a worthwhile tactic. Not meaning for them to be strong(shouldnt do more than making someone bleed for 1 sec before bleeding stops) but to be able to use them without weakening your fighting ability lots.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:35 am

I would not mind seeing throwing weapons becoming a viable fighting tactic. As it is now even throwing a short and light dagger with delaylimit set to "0" requires many seconds of waiting before another throw can be attempted and even then the results are negligible when a hit is scored. On top of this all, there is time lost from using other specials as well. I do not recall if the heavy thrown weapons did anything worthwhile, there aren't any criticals that can be caused atleast(?). Guess it is just some raw damage and bleeding. Need to try some barbarian moves and throw a heavy waraxe or two at a goblin head and see how it works out...
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm

personally id like to see this kinda 300 style. when i throw my 10 ft lance at someones head, i want some impaling msg.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

isengoo
Champion

#8 Post by isengoo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm

>exa arm-sheath
This is a small, light sheath which encircles the arm. The sheath itself seems to allow for daggers to be quickly removed; there are no clasps.
There are two throwing-daggers sheathed in the arm-sheath.
>throw dagger from sheath
You make a swift motion to grasp your throwing-dagger from the sheathe on your arm, and in a single movement you hurl it at your enemy.
Your throwing dagger hits the small stinking male goblin in the torso.
The small stinking male goblin starts to bleed.
The small stinking male goblin stops bleeding.
>

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 pm

^^^ umm awesome.

but some throwing crits (making throwing something like elbow or knee or leap attack) would be cool.

adanath
Champion

#10 Post by adanath » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Before remarking about how bad throwing is, it would be interesting to know the skills of the involved players. I do not through daggers often except for one of my alts and his throwing is relatively low. With Adanath I throw bearded axes and lances rather often, sometimes with rather devastating effects. It all depends on armours etc of others, weight of the weapon being thrown..and even if you look at the skill description for throwing you can see that daggers and spears obviously are better for the skill.

Adanath has a decent throwing skill and causes a decent bit of damage. A lot of that I would imagine has to do with how hard the item is thrown (strength), the type of item (spear seems to be the best), and what armours the opponent is wearing. When you throw and it doesn't stick in your opponent in my experience it isn't that solid of a hit.

luminier
Overlord

#11 Post by luminier » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:16 pm

everytime i manage to make it stick, it deals quite a bit of damage. but just knowing that it stuck in and not having some kind of green text makes me wish to see some improvement on the code in throwing. (ps i can try to make some msg's if you want me to)

gojin
Master

#12 Post by gojin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Before remarking about how bad throwing is, it would be interesting to know the skills of the involved players. I do not through daggers often except for one of my alts and his throwing is relatively low. With Adanath I throw bearded axes and lances rather often, sometimes with rather devastating effects. It all depends on armours etc of others, weight of the weapon being thrown
Gojin has rather good throwing skill. Am not so much concerned as to the damage of throwing weapons. I think the damage done by both tiny daggers and long spears is about what each should do. Am more concerned with the lengthy delay for the throwing daggers specifically.

Anglachel answered my question but I still wonder if the delay for throwing daggers could be lessened some.

PO Goj

Olrane
Champion

#13 Post by Olrane » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 pm

In answer to Adanath, Olrane also had a high throwing skill and I found that throwing daggers in combat was not viable - damage was really low and it took too long. In fact, it was usually detrimental because it would delay a more important attack like a tackle.

Delia
Overlord

#14 Post by Delia » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:18 pm

Last time I really used heavy throwing weapons were in the Legion - heavy pilums, they tended to cause nice bleeding. Like I said I haven't really experimented since apart from small items such as daggers. I agree that the main concern is the slowness of throwing those small daggers. I could not see how making them faster would make things out of hand as even with throwing 100 I've managed not to cause any damage to birds and such.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

eirikeld
Professional

#15 Post by eirikeld » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:47 am

I also tried throwing, and have a decent skill in it. I have to agree with the others here, it is simply not worth it. The damage I also found to be agreeable, I am not convinced that it needs changing. The time, however, as others have said, is just horrendous. Many, many seconds to do little damage. Also, do not forget that there is a chance that the target will hold onto your weapon if it hits them. Yes, even huge weapons. [large war hammer "stuck" in a goblin?!?]

luminier
Overlord

#16 Post by luminier » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 am

eirikeld try fighting with a 10 ft lance in your chest, hows that for demoralizing. (hopes for cool crit descriptions for throwing)

adanath
Champion

#17 Post by adanath » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 pm

I manage to do decent damage with throwing, and to me it doesn't seem to take that long with how long it would take to prepare to throw an item somewhat accurately. I do not know if the delay is much better at a very high skill, but I would imagine so. More descriptions for throwing would be desirable, however as to the item getting stuck..that really is the desired result and tends to happen more the more skilled you get, for after all..that would be when it actually sunk in a decent bit.

gojin
Master

#18 Post by gojin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:26 am

Not sure how difficult it would be but adjusting the delay in throwing to be variable with the weight/length of the object being thrown would be sweet. I also wouldnt mind if the throwing daggers were made so one could not wield them/use them as a melee weapon.

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:38 pm

honestly i think just about everything needs a cool down... i mean i don't want someone running it at me throwing 7 daggers in my chest and have me near death... oh wait that would be cool.

tessa
Overlord

#20 Post by tessa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:40 pm

luminier wrote:honestly i think just about everything needs a cool down... i mean i don't want someone running it at me throwing 7 daggers in my chest and have me near death... oh wait that would be cool.
Admit it, being whooped by an elven chick assassin would be appealing to you.