Info/description for skills

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

chara
Wizard

#21 Post by chara » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 pm

*goes to work on her turn-player-into-frog skill*

Err, what I meant to say was, THANKS!! for the descs, and we'll check them and get them implemented asap :)

Devi
Hero

#22 Post by Devi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Edit:
INSTRUMENT
This indicates your general familiarity with musical instruments, and affects how well you play and tune them.

Could we add the syntax to the juggling skillfile? Some newbies seem to have trouble with it.

PLUCKING INSTR.
This indicates how well you play plucked instruments like the lyre and harp.

PERCUSSION INSTR.
This indicates how well you keep a beat on percussion instruments like the drum and castanets.

SIRILITH
This indicates how well you speak and understand the language of Elor. It is spoken exclusively by druids in the service of Evren.

INGELOAKASTIMIZILLIAN
This indicates how well you can remember excessively long names. A master in this skill can be introduced to a roomful of dragons without breaking a sweat.

Kortha
Master

#23 Post by Kortha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Yeah, I intended to put the tuning thing in instrument too, but I was doing about 6 things at once and forgot heh.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

Devi
Hero

#24 Post by Devi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 pm

What do the following skills do?

lore
hirogliphen (*boggles*)
kata

What exactly does horse combat do?

Kortha
Master

#25 Post by Kortha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:10 pm

hirogliphen is a font that's apparently extremely rare

lore I have no clue...the only place I ever get it is when going to Elor

kata, from what I understand, is a shao master only skill used for doing "practice forms" of the various shao moves...I have no idea what effects it has though

Someone told me once that the various lore skills enable you to leave less obvious tracks when travelling that type of terrain, but then what about flora and fauna lore? *boggles*

I'm not sure exactly what location sense does either, considering that in places like the swamp you use astronomy to find where north is. All I can think is maybe it affects exactly how messed up the exits appear to you when you first walk in.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#26 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:58 pm

"Kata" is a Shaolin skill. Maybe their guild wizard could write a skill description.

"Fauna" and "flora lore" got removed when we implemented the new skill system. You still got them? If so, it's a bug.

"Lore" is... uhm... no idea. I think Druids use it. If so, maybe Allalltar can tell us what it is. ;)

"Hirogliphen" is a very unsuccessful attemp to spell "hieroglyphs". At least that's my guess. But yeah, it's a font.

Actually, since we got some experts for the English language, what's the plural of hieroglyph? Some claim it's "hieroglyphs", others say it's "hieroglyphics".
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Devi
Hero

#27 Post by Devi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:23 pm

SIGN LANGUAGE
This indicates how well you speak and understand the wordless language of gestures.

HORSE COMBAT
This skill indicates your proficiency at fighting from the back of a mount.

They're not great, but they're better than nothing.
Note: Horse combat should be changed to mounted combat now that we have wolves. ;)

Kortha
Master

#28 Post by Kortha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 pm

A hieroglyph is a single character in a hieroglyphic writing system. Hieroglyphics refers to the writing system as a whole. Saying "hieroglyphs" is perfectly valid if saying something like "I found several hieroglyphs on this wall" but it doesn't refer to the whole writing system, just a few characters sitting around somewhere.

PS. That paragraph was damn hard to type. O.o

tessa
Overlord

#29 Post by tessa » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 pm

Right, hieroglyph and hieroglyphs refer to symbols, but hieroglyphic refers to the writing.

chara
Wizard

#30 Post by chara » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:31 pm

I believe I have now updated all of the skills for which you guys offered descriptions. Please check them and make sure they work, are free of typos, etc. If you come up with any new ones, let me know as well :)

Thanks very, very much to all of you who contributed!

Kortha
Master

#31 Post by Kortha » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:18 pm

You didn't put in the desc for teaching...is there something wrong with it, or did you just forget?

Edit: I forgot one.

THEOSOPHY
This skill allows you to identify miracles cast by other clerics.

yegerfin
Journeyman

#32 Post by yegerfin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Kortha wrote:RITUAL
This indicates your ability to perform various religious rituals, such as sacrificing corpses or giving your god's blessing. Only used by clerics.
Slight correction, it's not only used by clerics... There are some rituals that rise it and can be done by anyone...

Devi
Hero

#33 Post by Devi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:36 pm

Also forgot to put in plucking and percussion. :)

tessa
Overlord

#34 Post by tessa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:13 pm

PLUCKING INSTR.

This indicates your ability to handle instruments that work
with plucking, e.g. lyres. Be aware that you don't hit an enemy
with your instrument, it might break.

PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT

This indicates your ability to handle instruments that work
with percussion, e.g. drums. Be aware that you don't hit an enemy
with your instrument, it might break.

HIROGLIPHEN

The method of writing based on hieroglyphs, which can mean
both syllables or entire words. The use of this writing method is
unknown.

NOTE: If there is a purpose for hirogliphen, and I'm wrong, then fix that last sentence. ;P

LORE

This skill indicates how familiar you are with
various environments. With a good
lore skill, you are better able to orient
yourself, and less likely to lose your way.

NOTE: I'm not sure if that's right, but it's as good a guess as any. I recently found out that with an improved lore skill, I can navigate through a certain fog without getting lost. That has to mean something.

chara
Wizard

#35 Post by chara » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:47 pm

I did both percussion and plucking instrument. There must be a typo somewhere in the name. To be clear, can one of you who have the skill tell me exactly how it's named in your skill list?

Thanks a lot! :) And thanks for the new descs, too, I'll try to put them in tomorrow :)

Kortha
Master

#36 Post by Kortha » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:14 pm

percussion instr
plucking instr.

that's how they show up on mine anyway :)

chara
Wizard

#37 Post by chara » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:06 pm

OK, please test percussion and plucking instruments again, I think the thing with the weird names should be fixed now.

I fixed "teaching" which I'd mistakenly named "training."

I fixed ritual. Yegerfin, if you have any more information about the skill that you'd like me to add, I'll be happy to.

I added hirogliphen, but I'm holding off on "lore" for the moment, since I can't get a confirmation yet on what the skill actually does, and I don't want to give people inaccurate information.

If anyone notes any errors, has suggestions for changes, or has suggestions for information for new skill descriptions, please let me know!

Abharsair
Site Admin

#38 Post by Abharsair » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:26 pm

chara wrote:I added hirogliphen
I renamed both skill and the skill description to "hieroglyphics". But since you won't see the new name before a reboot occurs, you'll have to wait for the skill description as well.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Naga
Hero

#39 Post by Naga » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Thank you so much for correcting the name of "hirogliphen." You probably have no idea how much something like that gets under the skin of a pedantic bastard like myself, especially when I had to bring myself to type the word. In the not-too-distant past, I whined for about 45 minutes to a fellow player about how "hirogliphen" is essentially meaningless, as the Greek-derived prefix "hiero-" (from hieros, meaning holy) is so abhorrently rendered (I mean no offense to whoever coded "hiroglyphen"). Again, thank you so much.

stilgar
Champion

#40 Post by stilgar » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:26 pm

Naga wrote:Thank you so much for correcting the name of "hirogliphen." You probably have no idea how much something like that gets under the skin of a pedantic bastard like myself
Hmm.. I gues I'll travel to the US and marry you :wink: I wanted to do it anyways.. now you're doomed :twisted:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010