OOC chat

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

OOC chat

#1 Post by sun » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:01 am

I am getting kind of annoyed at all the spam you read in OOC chat.. so now I'll simply have my MUD client remove all the ooc talk lines. It sucks to do this, but it seems to me it is the only way. I personally think the OOC command should be removed now that we have a way to call people to the OOC area. If you really, really need to disturb the game, then it should be important enough to go there and call.

EDIT: Now this should be under "General".. but I misplaced it. Might be because of the topic match.. funny how association works.

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: OOC chat

#2 Post by Abharsair » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 am

Moved it to "General".
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

sun
Master

#3 Post by sun » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 am

Thank you.

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 am

I agree that the OOC spam can be annoying at times but sometimes the OOC function is quite crucial and waiting for the transportation to the OOC area coupled with whetever the person you want to talk to notices the OOC invitation(or cares) or not...

I during my newbie times I was quite the spammer, I think everyone was. To everyone's defense I should say that we as a mud population have started to kick the habit to a degree. People moving in from other muds have had different habits though and, of course, it shows here. If someone starts to use the OOC channel too much and/or if it simply disturbs you, tell them. I think no one should take that into him/herself too much.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:13 am

OOC should be reserved for in-game help, syntax help, or if you need to tell people you need to go afk quickly or need to log out or something.

If it's used for something else, such as casual chat or something not vital, wizards do have an option to disable OOC communication for those people for a time, if chatter is reported to them.

Also, there's no harm in telling chatters to take it to the OOC room or something. If they give you grief about it, I'm pretty sure the wizards would return the favour right back to them.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:00 pm

iunno it seems insulting to me if someone is chatting lots ooc to just tell them to stop talking ooc. i feel like im telling them to shut up.

usually i just end up saying, while i don't mind the ooc chatter, others might as well as the wizards of this game, so try to keep things IC. but even then i kinda feel mean. usually i make up for it by acting really happy IC though =P.

but i agree with tessa, it's pretty crucial
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ganandorf
Overlord

#7 Post by ganandorf » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:01 pm

One place that i can understand a lot of ooc talking is when joining a new guild or doing new things.
Some thigns ive noticed that are very difficult to do In game is learning the syntaxes for various things, and for example when no help files are available.
As well when something is thought to be a bug i find it easier to instead of asking a wizard and bothering them, just try to verify OOC with whoever is with me.

Other than that i dont really see why other ooc chatter is required.
Though when a character who has been gone for a long time logs on for a day i do ask them if they will be around more often or not. That may be something i should stop :P.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:27 pm

i know I have lots of times where I have to log out quickly and I dont have the luxury of using ic methods. I guess I could just log out without any communications... and sometimes I have to... but its doesnt seem right. Seems best to keep the ooc talk "available" though.