If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

#1 Post by sun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 pm

While I like the reputation system and how it affects people in the city, it seems to me that it is a bit too easy to end up being "a wretched being with a dark, twisted soul" without any real reason. The only thing I have one is to talk to people, but how am I supposed to know who is good and who is bad? My reputation drops below good all the time, and I obviously talk to the wrong people. But still, it's quite judgemental to think someone is bad just because he spend time in the same room. I mean, what if I actually barked at the bad guy? There's no way you can always say that spending time with a bad guy makes you also bad. At least there should be a simple way to see if someone who approaches you in the street is generally disliked. Like people booing at him or throwing eggs..

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Reputation

#2 Post by ganandorf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:45 pm

If you want soemthing like people booing and throwing egsg at that person that means you are within a city, within a city just ask any npc about the person and you can find out.
Meow

isengoo
Champion

#3 Post by isengoo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 pm

I agree with sun here. There is no real way to tell who is well liked and who is hated in towns, and going around asking NPCs about every single PC in the game so you know who to avoid every other day seems somewhat ridiculous.

ramandu
Professional

#4 Post by ramandu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

The elven guard will growl at enemies and as Delmon's earlier post points out, they will search and block too. The Arborean guards greet welcome friends. I like the idea that reputation is not too over the top . . . especially since many players would be beyond reproach by most sheltered, lowly, city-dwelling NPC's.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 pm

I've yet to have a drop in reputation from being in the same room as unliked people, unless I just wasn't there long enough, or they weren't hated enough.

Teaming with people is different, which isn't a big surprise. And if you team with just anyone, or, more specifically, with hated people, it makes sense if the common folk put you in the same category as the ones you hang out with.

triska
Veteran

#6 Post by triska » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

I found out the hard way about being in a team with someone with a considered bad reputation because he had inadvertently given plague one time to Volog.

It took a lot longer (several real days) and a heck of a lot of selling and coins to get my reputation back again.

I don't disagree with the reputation thing in principle but maybe the balance from losing to recovering could be a little more even.
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

sun
Master

#7 Post by sun » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:38 am

I think it is generally good, but I am just afraid that I get reputation drops from bypassing people or people whose name I do not know e.g. before you even introduced yourself, you have not got a chance to ask around about that person.

I mean, how long time is it before reputation starts to drop by being in the same room? And can reputation drop from people whose name you do not know yet?

As long as I have a fair chance to avoid it, I do not see the problem with it. The question is if I really have..

Abharsair
Site Admin

#8 Post by Abharsair » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm

The times it takes for reputation to drop by being merely in the same room with someone other is long enough to introduce, have a chat about the weather and even discuss things if one isn't particularly talkative. Additionally to that, newbies - even with an extremely bad reputation - don't affect anyone and aren't affected, so only moderately known people can ruin your reputation, and by then you should maybe find out who you hang out with. And lastly, in order to ruin your reputation if you got a decently good one, you would have to talk for hours to someone with bad reputation. And if your reputation is only neutral, your conversational partner would need an extremely bad reputation, and then it would still need hours to drag you really far down.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

sun
Master

#9 Post by sun » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense.