repair

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ramandu
Professional

repair

#1 Post by ramandu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 pm

The way repair exists for both armor, weapons, and clothing makes sense for the professionals, but not so much for those still learning. If I try to repair my own armor/cloths/weapons and am fairly unskilled, I will generally make the piece worse than when I started. If I try to repair again, I get the message that the item has recently been repaired and I cannot attempt until reboot.

But, it makes sense that after one attempt, I would be able to continue to work and try again (similar to sharpening). It stands to reason that I would continue to work until I got bored or destroyed the item beyond repair.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Grindel
Veteran

Re: repair

#2 Post by Grindel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:36 am

I once started training repair, but the prices for repairing are ridiculously low, my own armour could only be repaired once a year and most monsters drop perfect armours.

My take: The smiths should charge much, much more for repairing, but on the other hand one should be able to repair an item as long as one likes, or it breaks.
Even if repairing remains quite hard to learn, it would be more attractive to do so.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:27 am

I've taken some pains in order for Delia to learn repair to a degree. It is easier for someone who has layers of clothes/leathers on as they tend to get damaged easily.

But yes, I completely agree.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:40 am

Having repair skills work like sharpening = yay.

Having smiths charge more than just 1 bronze for what seems to be every item except guild items = yay.

isengoo
Champion

#5 Post by isengoo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

tessa wrote:Having repair skills work like sharpening = yay.

Having smiths charge more than just 1 bronze for what seems to be every item except guild items = yay.
Quotin' dis

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:30 am

I have to agree, it is definately way easier to skip knowing repair at all and have the smiths fix things, especially without making a dent in your wallet (or backpack for some).

only guild/custom items should really cost more though. to repair a run of the mill item should cost maybe a little more than what it costs now, but not much more, maybe 3 bronze.

as for guild customs, i think prices in the silver would be adequate. but for those of us with "guild smiths" those prices should be reduced for members, even when repairing guild armours.

even with a new update like this however, i would much rather have a smith repair my items becfause i don't feel like learning yet another skill. speaking of which.... where is that sharpening npc in the towns? that would be a godsend for some, this much I know.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ramandu
Professional

#7 Post by ramandu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Grindel wrote: . . . and most monsters drop perfect armours.
Which is bizzare. After being gored multiple times by a Tshahark with a 9 foot lance, and having the aforementioned lance smash and pierce through the armour on many occasions, the equipement on a fallen foe is in perfect condition.

I understand that the armours age slowly and needing to repair armours after every fight would be awfully annoying and sacrificing game play for realism, but if a piece of armour can only be repaired once a reboot, there needs to be a way to gain practice at the skill and mod armours should at least have a few flaws.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.