Specials and fatigue

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

Re: Specials and fatigue

#21 Post by sun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 am

Not blocking would be stupid, yes. But I hardly think it's the elf with a dagger who wants to be blocking. Are you talking about boxing or Geas? I think you kind of misunderstood what I said about aggressive touching, but anyone who has ever watched a fight on TV knows what I mean. Also, you might be extraordinarily strong, but in normal cases I think that a heavier guy uses relatively more energy to move his limbs around, even if he also has that much more muscles.

Staltos
Professional

#22 Post by Staltos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm

I was talking about a real life scenario. I personally spend most of my time preventing my opponent from hitting me, not trying to hit my opponent. And I don't think a good fighter will just wail around like it seems you are suggesting. A light fighter should spend their time dodging and avoiding getting hit, not throwing punches constantly. Also, um, strength training means that you get less muscle fatigue, meaning that you can go longer exerting yourself throwing punches than someone with less muscle mass.

Honestly, I don't think boxing is a good comparison to an armoured fighter against an unarmoured fighter. I think what makes comparing the two fighting styles even worse is the extreme interpretations people have, usually from movies. You have the two interpretations, one from movies with fencing, tons of stabs and parries and constant movement, and the other extreme of some barbarian with a two handed sword which has to be swung in a huge arc to be effective. Both interpretations are rediculous and there is really a lot more similarities between fighting in the early 12th century europe and fighting in the rennaisance than most think. It's the same western fighting style, just the latter is more evolved.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

sun
Master

#23 Post by sun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Staltos wrote:I was talking about a real life scenario. I personally spend most of my time preventing my opponent from hitting me, not trying to hit my opponent. And I don't think a good fighter will just wail around like it seems you are suggesting. A light fighter should spend their time dodging and avoiding getting hit, not throwing punches constantly. Also, um, strength training means that you get less muscle fatigue, meaning that you can go longer exerting yourself throwing punches than someone with less muscle mass.
I think you are dumbing it down a little here, I wasn't saying that a good fighter will just throw punches all the time without trying to dodge or anything. Of course if you really want to bend it and ignore the rest, you can. Anything is possible. When it comes to muscle strength, yes, both can train it. But if you ever compared a long-distance runner and a 100m runner (think tshahark), you'll notice that they have different builds for different tasks. The 100m runner has much bigger muscle mass and that's for explosiveness. Oxygen for those is much more demanding. Sure, you can train it, but he can never compete on the same level in marathon. Different bodies work for different tasks. Now I'm not an expert in boxing, but I'm quite sure that breathing works the same there.
Staltos wrote:Honestly, I don't think boxing is a good comparison to an armoured fighter against an unarmoured fighter. I think what makes comparing the two fighting styles even worse is the extreme interpretations people have, usually from movies. You have the two interpretations, one from movies with fencing, tons of stabs and parries and constant movement, and the other extreme of some barbarian with a two handed sword which has to be swung in a huge arc to be effective. Both interpretations are rediculous and there is really a lot more similarities between fighting in the early 12th century europe and fighting in the rennaisance than most think. It's the same western fighting style, just the latter is more evolved.
Yeah, perhaps. In this case it makes sense, and I do think we all can agree that the elf with wargloves isn't the guy who's supposed to be slow and heavy. But on the other hand, can movies also be a good idea of how it should be. Books work too. Or erm.. fantasy worlds.