Carrying Items

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

delem
Journeyman

Carrying Items

#1 Post by delem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:02 am

Woah, I haven't been on here for ages.

Anyways, I've always wondered how characters actually carry their items. By this I mean, you have your pockets in your jackets and trousers, you have those simple leather bags, backpacks, etc. But if your other items are not in any of these compartments, all the other items that you are currently carrying when you type "inventory", are you just walking around cradling all your items in you arms? Or is it implied you have some sort of container to put those items in?

If this isn't the case, and your just holding all you things in your arms (I really don't have a better way at describing this), what's then whats the difference, for example, having your weapons unwielded, but not in a sheathe or scabbard, and just freely in your inventory. If your weapon is not in a scabbard, or in your backpack, but you're just simply carrying it, wouldn't it be the same as walking around with wielded weapons?

So what I'm trying to get at is, you should have some sort of container to put all your things in rather than it saying "You are carrying ..." (or however it goes) when you type "inventory". But then again, I really haven't been on for ages and I definitely forget many things. So prove me wrong if you can. Or ask me to explain this in other words, because this is way too confusing.

Delia
Overlord

Re: Carrying Items

#2 Post by Delia » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:48 am

Carrying items in your inv vs. actually using the various containers is usually a stretch of imagination really. I would not be adverse to having most of the items in various bags and such, having once played a mud where the inventory was REALLY strict, you basically had only your hands if you didn't have any containers.

Then again Geas-style is rather good gameplay compromise. Having a stack of parchments you can imagine them tucked somewhere inside your robe, for example. It can go really funky though when you pick up 4x battleaxes, 2x battlearmours, 3x helmets, etc... It is always fun to visualize the proverbial porcupine.

Most players do utilize a bag or a backpack for their random knickknacks what I have seen and using containers helps with the volume carried.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:15 pm

heh i remember when i was being let in to arborea and i had to give all my weapons to delia... i think i had about 10 on me at the time? they were all sheathed though. i remember her porcupine comment well.

anyways basically it exists because it's conveinent.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Itenin
Journeyman

#4 Post by Itenin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Inventory is where suspension of disbelief comes into play. Better that than something like...

You are wielding a weapon with your right hand and left hand.
You are wearing a suit of armor, a wide leather belt (with one sheath attached to it), and a small leather backpack.
You do not carry anything.
>look
You are in a room. Its neat.
There are two obvious exits: north, south
a large heavy thing.
>get thing
You have only two hands!
>sheathe weapon in belt
You sheathe your weapon in a wide leather belt (with one sheath attached to it).
>get thing
You pick up a large heavy thing in both hands.
>put thing in backpack
It is too heavy.
>l in backpack
The backpack contains:
stuff
>get stuff from backpack
You have only two hands!
>sigh

isengoo
Champion

#5 Post by isengoo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 pm

I keep all my more 'permanent' stuff in a leather bag, and then the more 'temporary' stuff stays in my inventory for quick access. Probably an unnecessary distinction, but I have a habit of checking my inv, stats, skills, etc all the time and seeing all my crap in my inventory all the time would drive me crazier than I already clearly am.