Music

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

isengoo
Champion

Re: Music

#61 Post by isengoo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Only Dethklok as they are blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

matusalem
Master

#62 Post by matusalem » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Off subject, but not off topic: A recent observation...

What happened to the Irish musicians of my youth? Sinead O'Connor with hair... Shane MacGowan with teeth... what's next? Is Bono going to stop being a smug narcissist?

I tell you what; you kids and your modern rock-n-roll music. I just don't get it, and I'm only thirty! Most of the stuff I like falls under the category of "singer/songwriter" though not at all like Gordon Lightfoot or his ilk. For years, my favorite musicians has been Tom Waits. He started in the '70's as a sort of lounge music piano player. This was before the heavy drinking and chain smoking turned his voice into a pile of gravel and broken glass. His voice is now very unique, as is his style. As for lyrics, he makes Bob Dylan's lyrics read like a remedial grade-school poem. I cannot recommend him enough for those who haven't heard of him. He's been in a view movies too. If you've ever seen "Bram Stoker's Dracula," the one directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Keanu Reeves and Wynona Rider, Waits played Renfield, the crazy guy eating the bugs. He was also in a godawful picture recently called "Wristcutter: A Love Story." Ray Lamontagne is another excellent lyricist, though his voice is much softer; almost like a woman's. In fact, when I first heard his single "Trouble" in which a line goes, "I've been saved by a woman," I originally thought it was Tracy Chapman coming out of the closet. Nick Cave is another one. He started out in the '70's as well in a sort of heavy-punk-proto-goth band called "The Birthday Party." In the '80's he formed "The Bad Seeds" which still maintained the darker edge without the heavy instrumental accompaniment; he got much softer. Johnny Cash did a duet with him and covered his song "The Mercy Seat" late in his life. If you recall the "Crow" movie, back when it was supposedly going to be directed by Italian horror auteur Dario Argento, Nick Cave was slotted to play the lead. He had a cameo in the German picture "Heaven over Berlin" or as it was called in the U.S., "Wings of Desire" which was remade into that piece of garbage, "City of Angels." Most recently, he did the music for, and performed a cameo in, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." Beautifully done movie too.

Sorry to run on like that, but I don't have much to add about making and/or stealing babies. Though I will say that one day in the future, all these Latin speaking babies are just going to ruin the job market. You just know it.

luminier
Overlord

#63 Post by luminier » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't listen to black stuff very often because it's just alot of screaming i can't understand. I like good lyrics to go along with good music (good being defined as something I like here, not for everyone)

And Matusalem I've never been quite into the type of music you seem to describe here. Pretty much all my life I have listened to bands like Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Billy Talent, System of a Down, Tool, Muse, Rage Against the Machine, Queens of the Stone Age, AC/DC, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Daft Punk (a few examples of things i listen to which are basically all rock or techno) and two bands that are alot smaller that I've listened too just recently Justice and Team Teamwork.

As I said they are all rock type music. I don't know why I seem to only like it (im nineteen and have been listening to this kinda of stuff since i was around 10, I started with AC/DC ironically) but it really seems to be the only type of music I can mix with.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Arwenth
Master

#64 Post by Arwenth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:59 pm

I listen to everything. I wasn't really into black metal until I checked out Cradle of Filth and read the lyrics to a few of their songs like Bathory Aria. As for Modern music, I listen to a lot of older stuff too. I'm a major blues enthusiast but I do like artists like Jackie Wilson and Bobby Darin.

As for Bono...Matusalem...That one's just not happening.
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Desiderea
Master

#65 Post by Desiderea » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Oh my goodness, leave it to mudders to actually listen to some of the music I do. :) Most people I know have never heard of my favorite bands... Epic/symphonic metal for the win! I think it was actually a mudding friend who first introduced me to a couple of these bands too. My favorites include:

Nightwish
Kamelot
Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Iced Earth
Demons & Wizards
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Disturbed
Epica
Symphony X
Metallica
Megadeth
Evanescence
Tarot

Okay, I guess they're not all epic metal or completely obscure. :) But, the nice thing about liking bands no one has heard of is that tickets are cheap and you can get great seats at concerts!

Andreati
Master

#66 Post by Andreati » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:08 am

Nice, Desiderea--I agree with at least half the bands on that list, and I've heard of most of them.

I'd suggest looking up Kings of the North. It's got Marco from Nightwish/Tarot, someone from Charon, Tony Kakko from Sonata Artica, and another guy I've never heard of. They do metal covers to songs like...That Journey one that everyone knows, Don't stop believing? Ehh...Don't bring me down...We don't need another hero...They've even got a Creep cover.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Skragna
Champion

#67 Post by Skragna » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:42 am

I listen to almost anything that's not "whining country", I hate 99% of rap, screaming death metal, and stupid songs. I'll listen to ANY classic rock, though... Eagles, Skynyrd, definitely Metallica, Steppenwolf, George Thorogood, Santana, ZZ Top, a couple of Disturbed's songs, the list really does go on... I dounb I could cram even half the songs I like onto three DVD's

Minariel
Journeyman

#68 Post by Minariel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 pm

I mostly listen to Punk and Ska. Yeah, I know... they're not always that talented, but isn't that sometimes the point?

As for bands in no particular order:

Goldfinger
Pennywise
MxPx
NoFx
No Use For a Name
Offspring
Bad Religion
Voodoo Glowskulls
Less Than Jake (Before they tossed their brass)
Sublime (of course)

Just to name a few.

Arwenth
Master

#69 Post by Arwenth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Minariel wrote:I mostly listen to Punk and Ska. Yeah, I know... they're not always that talented, but isn't that sometimes the point?

As for bands in no particular order:

Goldfinger
Pennywise
MxPx
NoFx
No Use For a Name
Offspring
Bad Religion
Voodoo Glowskulls
Less Than Jake (Before they tossed their brass)
Sublime (of course)

Just to name a few.
What about Streelight Manifesto?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Minariel
Journeyman

#70 Post by Minariel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Not so much. Actually, I haven't been listening to music much at all lately... must remedy this...

*logs on Pandora*

usephniel

#71 Post by usephniel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Probably gonna sound boring after the metal and ska and punk, but I still dig Radiohead. The only band (well, REAL band) I've seen play in concert.

Now to make everyone out there barf at ONE of my choices:
Bright Eyes
The Mamas and the Papas
Soundgarden
Soul Coughing
Tool
Johnny Cash
Ani Difranco
Flight of the Conchords
Aphex Twin
Dispatch
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Tenacious D
Blues Traveler
Dave Matthews (Live stuff mostly)
Alice in Chains... R.I.P.
John Mayer

And to get in the mud mood:
The Amazing Blondel! (check out the song Seascape)

I apologize in advance.

luminier
Overlord

#72 Post by luminier » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:24 am

I find it awesome that two people listen to Tool. Carey is awesome on drums. second only to Ulrich.

Arwenth
Master

#73 Post by Arwenth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 pm

usephniel wrote:Probably gonna sound boring after the metal and ska and punk, but I still dig Radiohead. The only band (well, REAL band) I've seen play in concert.

Now to make everyone out there barf at ONE of my choices
Your list makes me want to hug you. I like everything on it other than some stuff I don't recognize. I must say though...Maybe I missed it but how is we get Tool but no one mentions A Perfect Circle? I myself dig both...

usephniel

#74 Post by usephniel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:02 am

Desiderea has A Perfect Circle and Tool on her list: she wins :)

I tend to prefer Tool but there is some good stuff on the one APC album I've listened to. I was under the impression it was a short-term project...

And since I am posting again I'll throw a few more of my favs out there:
Rage against the machine
The white stripes
Beck

luminier
Overlord

#75 Post by luminier » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 am

You guys are missing Puscifer. Also APC did three albums actually Mer de Noms, Thirteenth Step and Emotive. I like Judith the best personally, but if you really like Tool type music, there are better songs on those albums i think. But I like the music from Tool itself, APC and Puscifer are just good imo.

Minariel
Journeyman

#76 Post by Minariel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh crap... I can't believe I forgot my favorite artist of all time...

Jonathan Coulton!

More talent in one guy than anyone deserves.

Arwenth
Master

#77 Post by Arwenth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 am

Minariel wrote:Oh crap... I can't believe I forgot my favorite artist of all time...

Jonathan Coulton!

More talent in one guy than anyone deserves.

All we want to do is eat your brains...We’re not unreasonable; I mean, no one’s gonna eat your eyes....

usephniel

#78 Post by usephniel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:10 pm

I just a few weeks ago heard Jonathan Coulton for the first time. Funny and weird. Kind of like a less schmucky Weird Al.

Minariel
Journeyman

#79 Post by Minariel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Plus he writes his own music, not just changing the words to another one. My SO actually found him before he was famous. Then he did the Portal song, and everyone started to know who he was.

Skullcrusher Mountain is still my favorite. It's really sweet in a twisted sort of way.

Arwenth
Master

#80 Post by Arwenth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Pandora popped him out based on my music suggestions, although it was the baby got back cover he did...