Computer/Video Games

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

matusalem
Master

Re: Computer/Video Games

#21 Post by matusalem » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:22 am

Well, next tuesday January 26 the new Masseffect game is released. That of course means there will be less Matusalem for a few weeks, because I'm bad at splitting my attention. I'm looking forward to it and hopefully more blue alien sex scenes.

Loreen
Professional

#22 Post by Loreen » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:11 am

I too really LOVE the old games....

1 - Darklands. One of the best RPG games ever!
2 - Wizardry - From Bane of the Cosmic Forge to Wizardry 8
3 - Sid Meyer's Civilization games.... from the original, through Alpha Centaury to the current Civilization 4
4 - Dungeon Master
5 - Warlord's II
6 - the good old Bard's Tale series, especially the first

Skragna
Champion

#23 Post by Skragna » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I've played a great deal of games... From roguelikes like ADOM and Elona, a Japanese one that got translated. (It's pretty good) I've played RPG's, RTS', all that. I like most of all the RPG's that are focused on turn-based strategic combat, like Final Fantasy Tactics. I actually played my copy so much it died. Also a fan of a lesser-known series of games called Suikoden. 108 people to recruit, fairly large worlds, and really good storylines. Also played Dragon Age: Origins a lot... hoping to get Mass Effect 2 or possibly Assassin's Creed 2... maybe even GTA4, heard it has a fairly decent story. In summary.... graphics are alright, but don't base your game on them.

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Skragna, play again or Ill hurt you virtually.

On another note Mass Effect 2 is amazing.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Skragna
Champion

#25 Post by Skragna » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I am playing again. DON'T SPEAR ME! (cowers in fear before Luminier's amazingness)

Skragna
Champion

#26 Post by Skragna » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:39 am

PoCuetlachtli, I curse you for making me discover the intricacies of DF. I'm hooked. More than hooked. Addicted. While it nearly murders my poor old computer, it's still worth it to watch a kobold get smacked 10 some odd squares off a cliff and fall 12+ z-levels to its demise.

Delia
Overlord

#27 Post by Delia » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:49 am

Something pretty nifty for Dwarf (Fortress) lovers with older computers.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.p ... ic=28841.0
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#28 Post by Cuetlachtli » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of endless possibilities of DF! :D

One of the most replayable games I've ever met. Once you start to figure out how to make custom traps (using pressure plates, mechanisms, trapdoors, collapsible columns, screwpumps...etc) to make rebuildable outdoor ceilings that can be collapsed to crush enemies (good for large attacks) or a magma flood chamber, or a trapdoor grid that drops enemies into a pit in which you keep a dragon or titan....so many things you can make in that game.

I could geek out about it for hours. :D

I've made some really fun and elaborate traps in some of my forts, but I never save them because of updates. I had once uploaded a video of one of my traps at work...hmm...I'll see if it's still out there.

(edit: guess I didn't save it, oh well. Basically it was this island that was connected to the rest of the ground by a hatch. There was a winding path made from floodgates that wound in a serpentine pattern with 'bait' at the end of it to draw enemies (a chained up dog was the bait). The winding path made sure that it took them long enough to get to the bait that most of the enemies would be on the island. When they got to the bait at the end of it, there was a pressure plate which served to open the hatch, thus stranding them on the island. Once that was done, one pull of a lever dropped the floodgates and they were sitting stranded on an island helpless, where my archers could march out and easily slaughter them. I loved using that one.)

Skragna
Champion

#29 Post by Skragna » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:27 pm

I've got a fort sitting on top of a magma pipe, more or less. So I'm putting tons of cage traps along the tiny path to my doors.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#30 Post by Cuetlachtli » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Cage traps are really great.

Make a battle arena!

I do this in nearly every for I've made. Basically, capture a bunch of goblinionds in cages, haul them to a storage stockpile, then create an area that you can open and close off with floodgates or something. You can then put the cages with some goblinoids in it, hook them to levers, then put some 'criminal dwarves' in there (by enlisting him as a soldier, then ordering him to stand post in the arena, closing the floodgates to trap him, then unenlist him) (usually I make my own law in my forts, if a dwarf isn't acting the way I want I'll make him a gladiator) and then close the area off with floodgates. Pull the cage lever to free the prisoners, and let the fight begin! If the dwarf wins, then all glory to him (or her)! If they fight valiantly enough (and aren't too injured) maybe, just maybe, they can be free again :twisted:

If you have any interesting happenings in your fort, do update! Questions are welcome too, but of course you'd get faster and better replies at the bay12games forums :P

Minariel
Journeyman

#31 Post by Minariel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

I once had a war dog that took on 2 magma monsters and an imp and won... the immortal war dog.

Of course, his master decided that he REALLY wanted the burning shirt left on a corpse, and promptly set his room on fire by putting it in his dresser drawer... silly dorfs.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#32 Post by Cuetlachtli » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:21 am

Burning shirts are so hot right now.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#33 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:46 pm

So I just found out about an interesting little game while having no Geas to keep me occupied on my day off... :P

http://www.mangband.org/Main/HomePage

For those of us that enjoy our roguelike games, here's an interesting one.

It's basically the old Angband game that most of us that play them are most likely familiar with, but it's online multiplayer. And there are actually still people playing it.

Right now there are five people total, I think there was eight at the peak that I noticed. So obviously not a huge number.

It's real time instead of turn based now though, which means that you have to use macros (which are an in game feature anyway) a lot. Otherwise you get beat down by monsters pretty quickly while trying to go through the manual commands.

I'm having some difficulty adjusting to the pace, since I usually play my RLs pretty leisurely, but it is definitely fun! :)

Delia
Overlord

#34 Post by Delia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 am

This seems like the Xcom I always waited for, but never got. I have not played much yet, three missions or so, but the amount of tactical detail looks promising and the alien invader can even put up bit of a fight :)

http://www.xenonauts.com

luminier
Overlord

#35 Post by luminier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Sounds like you need to play XCOM Enemy Unknown with the "Long War" mod. That looks exceptionally hard.

Delia
Overlord

#36 Post by Delia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:13 am

I did not like the new xcom much. It was entertaining and diverting yes, but the limited tactical options and the way enemies behaved kept nagging in my mind. As a fan of the genre I persevered but ultimately it was a shame how things were simplified and dumbed down.

luminier
Overlord

#37 Post by luminier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 am

Delia wrote:I did not like the new xcom much. It was entertaining and diverting yes, but the limited tactical options and the way enemies behaved kept nagging in my mind. As a fan of the genre I persevered but ultimately it was a shame how things were simplified and dumbed down.
Iunno man, the hardest difficulty kicked my ass. The RNG just screws you over so hard sometimes.

Delia
Overlord

#38 Post by Delia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 am

I played the Enemy Within version on Android. It had a toggle for an optional RNG. The original rolls were all predetermined and the concensus was they were a bit weird.

Xcom's biggest failing were the almost immobile enemy groups which, if you did the "creep", could safely activate and pick off one by one. I also did not appreciate that every squad member had a set list of equipment they could use. Why my sniper cannot sport a shotgun as backup? Why only one smoke grenade per soldier not in support role? Also, what was with the two actions only and if you started with shooting, why did that consume your remaining action as well? The questions never ended.

Aslak
Master

#39 Post by Aslak » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes, Xenonauts is great. It is quite a bit oldschool and certainly not perfect, but it is the closest thing that comes to a real X-Com.

Delia
Overlord

#40 Post by Delia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 am

I like breaching the ufos. I still have not played much but using those riot shields and flashbangs is a blast.