Mages as adversaries

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

anglachel
Site Admin

Re: Mages as adversaries

#21 Post by anglachel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Cuetlachtli wrote:Castration.
So that they can concentrate them self on their studies. No distractions? With the result of 10% more magic power?

Delia
Overlord

#22 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:05 pm

There is also the more temporary solution available as we speak...

But yay! for mage-y punishment rituals!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

adanath
Champion

#23 Post by adanath » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Eluriel wrote:
Aslak wrote:So, we need a branding iron for good and not so good mages :mrgreen:
I'm curious what the Mages would do to a Mage who "misuses" their power.
A ritual that strips them of their ability to communicate with the magical flows inherent in the world. a magical castration.

Zehren
Overlord

#24 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 pm

adanath wrote:
Eluriel wrote:
Aslak wrote:So, we need a branding iron for good and not so good mages :mrgreen:
I'm curious what the Mages would do to a Mage who "misuses" their power.
A ritual that strips them of their ability to communicate with the magical flows inherent in the world. a magical castration.
Which mages... no sense seeing as magic is temporary.

Unless the ritual strips them of their ability by killing them. That makes sense.

edit. I meant 'which makes', but am keeping this beautiful sentence.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#25 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:31 am

There have been some discussion about punishment rituals by mages for mages that could lead to various effects. Inhibiting and removing magic use are key functions both of which would be temporary with until removal being the longest viable option. I mean there are little other concrete ways of dealing punishment to mages in a meaningful way than targeting their base of power. What would trigger these actions is another thing completely ;)

Zehren
Overlord

#26 Post by Zehren » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 am

Delia wrote:There have been some discussion about punishment rituals by mages for mages that could lead to various effects. Inhibiting and removing magic use are key functions both of which would be temporary with until removal being the longest viable option. I mean there are little other concrete ways of dealing punishment to mages in a meaningful way than targeting their base of power. What would trigger these actions is another thing completely ;)
Temporary until removal = rather permanent.

My guitar, for instance, is temporary until destroyed.

I think the longest effect possible should be "constantly fed mana"... Which would either be negative for the mages stopping another mage OR, much cooler, require charged gems. Magically put into someone's body. Which are bound to run out sooner or later.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#27 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 am

Naturally. A group of mages within their seat of power can surely cook up something ;) These things have been thought of but for atleast now they remain thoughts only. I for one would be displeased should anything severely(glitches are bound to come)disrupt the flow of logic inherent in the magic system.

Delia
Overlord

#28 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:27 am

In some other threads I wrote how Arborea acts as the "spawning pool" for mages and briefly mentioned how this affects how the said mages will turn out to be. All out evil, cackles maniacally kind of mages are out of the question here.

Instead, it should be more about consequences of using magic with good and evil being somewhat irrelevant. Some angles were thrown like:

Magic vs. nature: will use of magic have a corrupting influence on your surroundings? If so, what will mages do? Tap into this as a source of more power or learn a way of delicate control, effectively placing a limit on themselves? Would two camps form within mages?

Magic vs. divinities: will use of magic corrupt or somehow hinder a god's influence on Forostar? While magic cannot(should not)affect the divine realm, accidental use and explosive loss of control might leave its mark.

Arborea vs. Magic: with some many mages having graduated from Arborea, will Arborea want its prime cut of the action? Will there be a price to be paid? Will the Asrals want a battlemage of their own or will they demand some services as clearly they have already offered a great service to the mages.