Vote for Our Mud on TMC!
 
 
Geas Home
 
Play the Game

Depth of Character

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

ceinna
Journeyman
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Depth of Character

Postby ceinna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 am

What do you do when you are stuck between breaking character or ruining others fun? I am curious to know at what point the line is for different people. I know my characters can be wearing sometimes, but I try to adjust my roleplay if I get the idea the player on the other side is no longer enjoying. And I don't just mean PK and conflict, but roleplay in any form.

Hoping this even makes sense...

User avatar
luminier
Overlord
Posts: 2732
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: Manitoba Canada

Re: Depth of Character

Postby luminier » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:58 am

I've been in this situation where people have actually told me OOC that "I am going to ruin their character if I continue down my path". I just try to reevaluate and make sure that my roleplay is sound. If it is, then I just stick to my RP guns. It's the job of others to sort out your wrenches in their design.

Once it's all over it'll make the character a more experienced character ... just like how living through shitty situations in life makes you more experienced.

If you feel like you don't want to deal with a shitty situation that you caused ... well sorry. You can't have your cake and eat it too. This is a game but other people want to have fun too! =D
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

User avatar
Delia
Overlord
Posts: 2488
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:22 am
Location: Finland

Re: Depth of Character

Postby Delia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 am

It is a rough toughie but generally speaking I feel that people might be too protective about their character concepts. Meaning, they can be very set in stone and if something messes with that, feelings might become hurt and enjoyment derived from the game reduced. Assuming this is so, people can sometimes be equally unwilling to poke at other characters as they fear that they might be stepping on some toes.

Change, reacting to change and unpredictability is what makes the game fun for me atleast. If Delia's core being had not been re-examined and re-defined over the course of time, I might have lost interest(I am not one for alts)and as such I welcome people who come to "rough her up" and challenge me as a player. On the other hand I tend to succumb to wearing my extra smooth silk gloves when I deal with other characters. I should learn to be a bit more ruthless. Some of the best of the awesome fun times Geas has offered has been when the play was at its hardest.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

glorfindel
Hero
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Depth of Character

Postby glorfindel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 am

While I am not one for packing people in silk gloves, I personally believe that, as this is a game where many people play with and against each other, each has a certain responsibility to keep things within bounds. I find especially the lack of that at times very disturbing.

I think, in general, allowing events to shape who your character is, is very interesting, I thus agree with poDelia.

Skragna
Champion
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Depth of Character

Postby Skragna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 am

Skragna, as far as I've seen, has changed immensely from his inception. I've dumbed him down a LOT to try and come closer to matching the in-game lore about 'harks, but going too far is just silly, after a point. As for the other aspects, much of his bloodthirsty need for violence is gone, and he's become much less grim all the time. It's been great watching him change over time, but when it comes to other players, Skragna is absolutely blunt... Aturshus can well attest to that >.>

ceinna
Journeyman
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Depth of Character

Postby ceinna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 am

As any who can attest to role-playing with Ceinna, she's been through a lot - on both sides of the coin. I try to push her limits, and thankfully in most cases have walked away with a character who has grown because of it.

I know playing the "bad" guy isn't always easy, and whether this be the crusade or the shao - 95% of my experiences have still been fun. I've gotten mad for her, yelled at her, cried, but I try to stick to wherever she is at the moment. But can admit I've toned down her nature a few times due to ooc knowledge. It doesn't happen often, but I think in extreme cases and for roleplay lines that are less intensive, this is okay.

Zehren
Champion
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:50 am

Re: Depth of Character

Postby Zehren » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 pm

I try to stick to my characters, no matter what - except for one thing, that is. What is the thing? The thing is if the scenario could potentially be offensive to my fellow playahs. The most common examples crossMUDly are sexual RP and torture RP - often requiring express OOC approval by the players. (I have read the reason for the punishment commands giving such vague, brief, nondescript lines is sensitivity towards this latter example.)

I, in other words, cannot see how a choice can arise between "breaking character" and "ruining others' fun" - is not the fun watching the characters and their stories unfold and clash? How can this then arise if character is broken?
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

User avatar
luminier
Overlord
Posts: 2732
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: Manitoba Canada

Re: Depth of Character

Postby luminier » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Zehren wrote:I try to stick to my characters, no matter what - except for one thing, that is. What is the thing? The thing is if the scenario could potentially be offensive to my fellow playahs. The most common examples crossMUDly are sexual RP and torture RP - often requiring express OOC approval by the players. (I have read the reason for the punishment commands giving such vague, brief, nondescript lines is sensitivity towards this latter example.)

I, in other words, cannot see how a choice can arise between "breaking character" and "ruining others' fun" - is not the fun watching the characters and their stories unfold and clash? How can this then arise if character is broken?


I agree with Zehren. The first part of the post is clear from the rules of Geas.

I really think that the fun is watching characters clash. I realize that this can get tiresome sometimes and that is why it is important to take a step back and remind yourself that it is a game. My favourite clashes are the ones that get me emotional in real life.

"Holy crap I am invested in this character so much that I am actually sad/ jealous/ mad/ etc IRL, this makes it a lot easier to roleplay emotions"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ceinna
Journeyman
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Depth of Character

Postby ceinna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Admittedly, I sometimes worry I am *too* invested in my characters. Thus one reason I took a rather long break from the game.

Luminier... Some of my most drastic roleplay sessions were definitely with you. I miss them!

glorfindel
Hero
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Depth of Character

Postby glorfindel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Zehren wrote:I, in other words, cannot see how a choice can arise between "breaking character" and "ruining others' fun" - is not the fun watching the characters and their stories unfold and clash? How can this then arise if character is broken?


I was exactly refering to such situations you described Zehren. I was in a haste, and thus did not formulate exactly what I did mean. I've seen too many of those go bad as to take them easy.

Nylessa
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 am

Re: Depth of Character

Postby Nylessa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 am

Delia wrote:It is a rough toughie but generally speaking I feel that people might be too protective about their character concepts. Meaning, they can be very set in stone and if something messes with that, feelings might become hurt and enjoyment derived from the game reduced. Assuming this is so, people can sometimes be equally unwilling to poke at other characters as they fear that they might be stepping on some toes.

Change, reacting to change and unpredictability is what makes the game fun for me atleast. If Delia's core being had not been re-examined and re-defined over the course of time, I might have lost interest(I am not one for alts)and as such I welcome people who come to "rough her up" and challenge me as a player. On the other hand I tend to succumb to wearing my extra smooth silk gloves when I deal with other characters. I should learn to be a bit more ruthless. Some of the best of the awesome fun times Geas has offered has been when the play was at its hardest.


first off, Hi, I'm new around here, nice to see you all.

now about this.

A character concept is a concept, a concept is always open to changing and growing, a concept should not, ever, be rigid, someone can have a general concept on creation of the character, from there, it is an open book, change, learning, adaptation, and all sorts of thing comes from the experiences a character has.

Now, I admit, in the short time i've been playing the game i've mostly been exploring the combative end of things and the gameplay, because I find it fun and interesting, and I haven't been roleplaying -too- much yet.

However, I feel that if someone gets offended, or upset, or anything of the matter when their character's 'path' or concept is highly threatened to be changed despite their writer, was oocly hoping/aiming for a certain path as a basis of the concept of their character, is bad etiquette in terms of RP; on the flipside, its also good to warn a fellow writer quietly about something that could -seriously- effect their RP if you feel it should take mention, and even then, I ,myself, am reluctant to inform people as such; it removes the suprise, suspense, and exploration about things.

I feel its best to encourage fellow writers, experienced or otherwise to embrace change, to embrace hardship, and to embrace challenges; it makes the story of that character much more interesting, and allows them to pass on those memorable stories to those they meet.

I'm one to step head first into accepting a situation even if it wasn't my characters call; if i was captured ICly by some bandits, or anyone for example? Dealing with it IC, even if its bad news for my character, and it could lead to me dying? Who cares?

in a nut shell, i think it'd be good if everyone encourages each other to be open to challenges, change and unexpected things; You never know what your character might become; Let the RP decide.

That character you imagined to become a very capable villian with great reasons for such could meet the exact person they'd need to meet with the right personality to give your character to see things in a different light, and change their villanous plans into something more heroic.


Return to “Roleplay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron