Magic - Questions

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Re: Magic - Questions

#41 Post by Delia » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am

There also are spells that enchance the mage's melee effectiveness and survivability but nothing like the few spells that you can use by hitting something with the staff(in terms of raw damage).

And generally speaking, just like with priests, any fighting training will support your mage career and magic can make your fighting better. Mages just have a much harder time utilizing their fighting skills to their best potential than clerics do.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ferranifer
Champion

#42 Post by ferranifer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 am

Well, right now you can sustain some nyeth effects and get some pretty good effects when combining them with an unarmed combat style. Of course the damage is insignificant when compared with the kawu versions, but other non-damaging secondary effects are quite significant. I actually don't have much experience using the kawu versions yet, but I guess mana and consequently time-per-damage cost keeps things in check there? Dunno.

The non-explosive sustained touch-enhanced playstyle heavily favors quick attacks, even before considering that it only works with HtH strikes. In that regard it's quite expensive mana wise for what it offers though. Once you add the proc requirement to use your fists.. well, it is literally a monk niche. I'm not even sure if it works with elbow/slam. (does it?)Again, that's fine, it's just a playstyle (and inferior to the bursty explosive playstyle). But should we open it up to other options?

How about foci weapons that don't allow for kawu nyeth combos? Or the foci needs to be enchanted with kawu to be able to deliver only one kawu attack? That way the big melee + big nuke burst damage is kept in check and the burst-ability is moved to the preparation phase (like everything else mage-y).

Delia
Overlord

#43 Post by Delia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 am

Does not work with elbow/slam. Only when touching something with your hands is indicated by the special used or regular attacks.

I guess the non-kawu sustained touch spell will boost Monk skills a good bit and help with PvE more. It has little place in PvP though and I am not sure how it compares to hitting something with a weapon.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra