Making the game unpleasant for others ... and stuff

Anything to say about roleplay? Want to share a story? This is the right place.

Moderator: Wizards

Nathan
Journeyman

Making the game unpleasant for others ... and stuff

#1 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:57 am

Mogwai wrote:There is a problem here and until people figure out how to do things different it will just repeat itself. :?

My OOC goal was to get more players to come back to geas.

IC: my goal was to provide a different contrast of a villainy available.

Including myself I was able to get 6 players into/back into geas in 2 months.

POLoreena, myself, PODelmon, 2 other former mudders, and POUrik. :D

I came back for a bit because I liked the wizards and I thought "you know helping this game flourish is worth it because of them". :)

2 months later...

People tried to make the game so unpleasant for us that I said to myself why the fuck am I trying to grow a game to give more depth to our playerbase when people's RP is so abrasive that recruits/I don't even enjoy the game. :evil:

I refuse to treat a game like work and play something other people try and make unenjoyable. :?

Few other players seemed to understood that geas runs better with more people and I understand few people can see the big picture like that unless it's 20/20 hindsight.

Just remember that because we're so stubborn we lose 6 players. :roll:

Cause: You want your 'always enemy and ostracizing type RP' so be it.
Effect: you can chill at the fountains waiting for RP diversity that was killed off. :(

Understand those actions will continue to keep the playerbase low and actions have consequences IC and OOC always :|

just my observations,
happy geasing :D
Hi all,
since this seems to target on me, please let me state first, that I consider your abstract of the ongoings as highly biased and unfair.

According to my opinion poLoreena went for Arborea judge because there was a funny red knob with the inscription "press me" - this alone has in my eyes not very much to do with roleplay, this is just pulling a trigger because it is there, a random action so to speak.

When she was afterwards confronted with some very moderate (ingame) reactions (a posting on a board is in my opinion a valid ingame action, and as such a way of roleplay too), the character in question vanished without a word.

After my postings I wrote _several_ mails to all protagonists to meet ooc to explain/discuss the situation and the further plot. I received no reaction at all. I have been hanging around 2 @weeks at the Arborean marketplace, the person that did not show up was the self-made judge of Arborea (Loreena) (neiter anyone else of your flock).

The only ingame reaction I found were around 10 postings of totally unknown characters, likely seconds.

So, where is the roleplay from your side you demand that intensely? And what do you mean with I made the game unpleasant for you? Your people broke the "rules", not mine.

I personally totally decline, that everything should be allowed in geas, just to avoid to "make the game unpleasant" for others. Having fun does not (and can not) mean to be allowed to do everything.

There is a game setting, there are ingame rules, this setting and these rules are imo to be respected by everyone, otherwise I could declare Nathan Queen of Evandar from tomorrow on. And if someone questions Nathans claim as Queen of Elvandar, I will whine here at the boards that you mean people make the game unpleasant for me now :)

Imo the freedom the game offers is, that you can of course do everything with your char - but you _must_ expect consequences. If you cannot suffer any consequence for your char, think first!

I am still sorry that poLoreena instantly decided to leave the game instead of playing it - but I do not think that this was my fault.

poNathan

Mogwai
Veteran

Re: Making the game unpleasant for others ... and stuff

#2 Post by Mogwai » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:00 pm

I know you think this revolves around you but it doesn't.

Names were not mentioned in my post for a reason so before you assume it's about you it's not.

Some of the experiences that pushed us away from the game that you did not do:

-You never abused WHO to harrass a new player and follow and search for them the moment they showed up on the WHO List
-You never went out of your way to make the game miserable for people nor did you harrass people(again no names mentioned)
-You never attacked a new player in the city without giving any IC reason

Again no names mentioned but I'm sorry that you are under the opinion that you were a significant factor (really you no more than the last straw the broke the camels back and had unfortunate timing.

I didn't mean to make you so defensive Nathan and my post is not directed at you.

If you did any of the things I listed then my post would be about you.

A number of problems occurred in the game prior to what you believe it's about.

Glad we could clear it up and I'm sorry I did not list off the particular issues.

Mogwai
Veteran

#3 Post by Mogwai » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Nathan wrote: I am still sorry that poLoreena instantly decided to leave the game instead of playing it - but I do not think that this was my fault.

poNathan
The issue is you literally showed no face for months OOC and never had any previous interaction. POLoreena decided that she didn't want to wait around at a fountain to hope you decided to play consistently again. This along with prior incidents that led her to believe this simply was not the game for her.

(Real life happens, yeah and thats not anyone's fault)

but...

You set really low expectations with your previous absence about if you were actually going to be present and whether based off your actions and limited opinion of you (You didn't have time to show that you were a playing worth playing with because you weren't around)

Again, it seems like we have a different opinion on how important a first impression is. Often in life a really bad first impression can be enough to push people away from dating someone, being associates etc etc.

Now lets combine the fact that there was significant harassment happening previous to your post that really highlighted the already 'friendly' encounters she had. She had plenty of reason to not bother playing anymore even before your encounter.

You were simply the straw the broke the camels back.

How were you supposed to understand any of this? I have no expectation of you being able to see such a big picture without having spent anytime in the situations leading up to it.
Imo the freedom the game offers is, that you can of course do everything with your char - but you _must_ expect consequences. If you cannot suffer any consequence for your char, think first!
It's just a bit short sighted to not think actions wouldn't have consequences, no?

Everyone is free to act how they want and players are free to come and go when they find more displeasure than pleasure.

PoMogwai

Nathan
Journeyman

#4 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:12 am

Hi,
thank you for clarifying that - my impression was indeed you were pointing at me and the Asrals - sorry thatfor.

poNathan