Skill improvement + Scribes/Mages

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

fernao
Champion

Re: Skill improvement + Scribes/Mages

#21 Post by fernao » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Personally I woudln't mind if the alchemists lost the wands and staff magic all together!
But thats a personal feeling, at least for the moment, might have to start in IC voting if we want to keep the staff magic stuff at all.
As for leveling inside the alchemists, certainly true. However, a player-based request for changing that was not met by wizard approval, since then, well, attempts towards that goal have been put to a stop.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Delia
Overlord

#22 Post by Delia » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 am

Scribes offer several fonts and languages which all take good time to learn in addition to scrolls. Given how everyone speaks common becoming a scribe is not that popular. In order to perform, scribes require several other skills as well. Learning all the skills involved to be a masterscribe can be rather time draining and a lot harder than for most "main/Major guilds"

Then again, being one of the few scribes around ensures people need you from time to time and you will have various contacts and business relations across the playerbase as you will need to acquire various materials in order to deliver your end product. Scribes can also make a good bit of coin while at it.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

anglachel
Site Admin

#23 Post by anglachel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 am

May be we should add some npcs who speak no common, only their race languages. So if you do not speak the languages, the player must search a other player who speak this language, to make the needed ask and translate the answers.
Of course only npcs which are not need for the daily live.

Arsicas
Master

#24 Post by Arsicas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:50 pm

That would be neat.

It's also nice when characters with poor skill in common font ask me to write letters or notes on the board for them. :)
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

Asraline
Journeyman

#25 Post by Asraline » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:07 am

You're welcome, Arsicas =)

PD: I fancy the idea too. That would put the non-Common languages (quenya, boreal, gnar, etc.) into good use too.
Nibbler: I didn't travel back in time! My people lack that ability.
Fry: But... I know you in the future! I clean your poop!
Nibbler: Quite possible. We live long and are celebrated poopers.

-Futurama

fernao
Champion

#26 Post by fernao » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:54 am

anglachel wrote:May be we should add some npcs who speak no common, only their race languages. So if you do not speak the languages, the player must search a other player who speak this language, to make the needed ask and translate the answers.
Of course only npcs which are not need for the daily live.
Would also be nice if customers at the inns would be a bit more appreciative if songs are sung in their native language, aka more money if you sing in Khuzdul while performing in Underground. in Quenya while in Elvandar or in Boreal while in Arborea. Just an idea though...
Life is but a butterflies dream