How to avoid unwanted self defense

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ila
Master

How to avoid unwanted self defense

#1 Post by ila » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 am

Hi!

So apparently your character just automatically defends themselves against anything remotely offensive. Someone's trying to attack you, gotta punch them, who cares if I'm unarmed, in a crowded city where violence is illegal, and they don't actually want to fight me but were just messing around with something that didn't even hurt, my character's just gotta punch them in the FACE.

Turns out doing that can make guards hate you, and it turns out guards can be pretty quick about spreading the word.

So my question is: is it possible to tell the game to not get me in trouble with the law? Did I perhaps mess something up terribly that I should know about? I get that this is, in some ways, not an especially kind game, but if I get murdered by guards, I'd at least like to look back on it and think "I'm an idiot," not "I sure got railroaded into this mess." I hope you get where I'm coming from, whoever ends up reading this.

One suggestion I got was setting the mood to maximum defense, but they were unsure if this would help, since even though I'd literally, very literally, just be defending myself, I'd still technically be in combat. Will guards kill you for daring to parry someone's attack?

I also wonder about setting wimpy to 100%. Will guards murder you for running away? "Hey, that psychopath is randomly attacking her... and she's running, the coward! C'mon, let's go cut her down before she gets away!"

(edit to remove some IC information, hopefully I sanitized it enough)

anglachel
Site Admin

Re: How to avoid unwanted self defense

#2 Post by anglachel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 am

There are some switches to control the combat a bit.
'attack-thief' and 'start-fights' -> help toogle combat

You can add a 'stunmode' to your startup-script so that
you do not kill by accident. But in this case you must
switch in killmode for a real combat.

To cancel a combat then the other attacks you is not
possible. You can only run away and use 'stop hunting all'
and hope not meet your offender again.

If the attacker is a know manic the guards will help you.
Otherwise it depends on the attacker and the location.
If you are in Arborea and the attacker is an asral cleric
the guard will mostly support the cleric. In Elvandar a
Taniel cleric will be normaly supported first.
Be a member of the right layman guild will helps, too.
A scribe or a skald will get more support in Arborea
as nonmember. A good reputation or being a citizen
will be help you to get the support of the guards.

Arsicas
Master

#3 Post by Arsicas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I think in this case it was just not realizing that something would start a fight. And yeah, if someone attacks you, you are still "in combat," so I'm not sure if mood defend would help. And wimpy 100% could get you in more trouble if you forget to turn it off and end up fleeing into something worse than what you're currently fighting. I think that even with "toggle sparring on" guards will still interfere if they still you fighting? But there are elements like reputation and being in a favorable guild of the city that will affect whether the guards help you or the other person.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

ila
Master

#4 Post by ila » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Okay, what I'm reading here is I essentially did nothing wrong, the game just decided to screw my character over because that's just how it works, with no real input from me whatsoever. I have no idea if I can even go back to the city, because now my reputation is "get out or I'll kill you." The city my character's guild is in.

That's kind of total bullshit. At this point, it feels like it'd be better to reroll, but at that point it's just a better idea not to play.

Edit: Both those other toggles are off. I had killmode on, but I barely did any damage at all. I'm pretty certain I caused the most minimal amount of bleeding on an attack that said it barely hurt. Do guards magically know to screw my character over for having killmode on in cities? It doesn't sound like it, but maybe that's the thing I'm missing? At this point, I'm pretty sure the game just decided it doesn't want me actually playing, and I'm inclined to agree.

ila
Master

#5 Post by ila » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 pm

I've been corrected in-game that something like this can't actually permanently outlaw me without a judge getting involved, and that otherwise the guards will eventually stop murdering me on sight at some point in the future, so it's a little less hopeless than I'd been thinking... I hope. I still think it's dumb that something like this can even happen though, and that there's not much a new player can do to prevent it (it seems like some of the advice here was to have more reputation but I'd been doing quests and trading in that city, so...)

anglachel
Site Admin

#6 Post by anglachel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am

The guards should stop to attack you after a while, so that you can enter the city again.
They will then only growl, then you arrive.
There are person like the judge, wio can you remove from the list.
If it was vasue by a bug, you can as a wizard ro remove you.
At last after some time they will forget the attack.

Arsicas
Master

#7 Post by Arsicas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Yes, it's not permanent. The guards will eventually forget and let you back in the city, and your reputation can be fixed by giving to beggars and other things. The judge can also pardon you.

Hope you do decide to stick around. :)
alive.
You smile slightly.

ila
Master

#8 Post by ila » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm not completely sure if the judge personally resolved it, or if the duration was just much shorter than I was expecting, but the end result is that the duration was much shorter than I was expecting.

Sorry for being a bit reactionary. :)

ila
Master

#9 Post by ila » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:23 am

Defend mode does not help. There are situations where the guards will happily help someone kill you, despite them attacking you first.

I did not know that guards were meant to be easily abused in this way to kill other players or kick them out of cities.

Guards in this game are a real mess and have been nothing but trouble for me since I started playing.

Orodreth
Journeyman

#10 Post by Orodreth » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am

Possibly add another toggle - toggle stop-hunting. If this is active, you will automatically 'stop hunting all' when your foe leaves or you leave.

Arsicas
Master

#11 Post by Arsicas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:09 pm

I think the guards default to assisting whoever has higher reputation in the city. But I know there can still be issues. I think implementing your idea of having a toggle or something to set yourself to passive, meaning you don't fight back and guards don't see you as being aggressive might help.
alive.
You smile slightly.

anglachel
Site Admin

#12 Post by anglachel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:13 pm

The guards will with next reboot react on the mood defend.