Heavy Armours

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Why don't you use heavy armours?

Tires me out too quickly while walking.
13%
Tires me out too quickly while fighting.
7%
I'm too slow during combat.
21%
Doesn't offer enough protection.
16%
Not enough high-quality heavy armours available.
11%
Heavy Armor skill is too hard to learn.
4%
Can't use flickup.
22%
Can't use other specials.
6%

Total votes: 114

iza
Veteran

Re: Heavy Armours

#121 Post by iza » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:30 am

Hi, great change I just have some questions and thoughts to share:

QUESTION 1:
Abharsair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 am Not only do they attack slower due to encumbrance, they also parry/dodge worse and had to rely more heavily on the protection of their armor.
I recently saw someone leading a donkey to keep their weight down as they fight and I sincerely thought that was just AWESOME. It is amazing to see the code allow those little details. According to the combat-addon help file which i believe has been updated:"the speed and success in attack/parry now also depends on the encumbrance of the armour."

Is this still related encumbrance we see under vitals? So as your character improves strength and encumberance(shown in vitals) goes down your attack/speed/parry will improve? Or will heavy/medium armours give you a flat penalty to you attack(hit)/parry performance regardless of stats/max skill when compared to an equally encumbered but lightly armoured foe?

QUESTION 2(in 1):
Abharsair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 am This percentage depends heavily on armor type (Heavy absorbs more than Medium which absorbs more then Light) and the armor skills plus associated stats.
Considering agility has more to do with avoiding, hitting and speed of attacks, I am hoping that the stat that improve the percentage of damage reduction is constitution? I believe armour skills are all constitution based but I am not sure.

Also does heavy armour skill matter when you are just holding a heavy plate shield and not encumbered by armours at all? Would i get more protection if I had 100 percent heavy plate skill in this senerio?

QUESTION 3:
In regards to Tshahark natural armour and satho/lilitth toughness ability. Will this remain flat damage reduction? If so will it be applied last after damage percentage? Considering how cool asral ability is and the usefulness of regen for good gods, hoping this will get looked at to ensure it too scales into high levels.

Final Thoughts:
I wanted to see the changes before I suggested this but I would like recommend that the the penalty for flicking up in plate armors changed slightly to work a bit more like they do for medium. At the same time increasing the strength requirements for flicking up in both medium and plate to balance things out and increasing the excursion of doing so greatly.

The numbers would need to be balanced out but the idea would go like this: You can flick up in heavy armors if you have enough strength. Like dwarf level epic strength. However attempting to do so successfully or not will exhaust you greatly in both medium and heavy armors in both stamina and fatigue. This would be percentage based fatigue/stamina that be reduced with more strength but you never out-scale it.

The pro is that falling on your ass isn't a death sentence nor is it a time for you to take a drink while you character gets up. The con is that you you will either have play a long time to reach this naturally or use buffs, that which in itself adds its own pros and cons to the mix. Additionally even if you have the strength flickup, due to percent based exhaustion, an opponent forcing you on your butt is still a great tactic, where you need to decide whether get up slowly or you risk more exhaustion to the point you might not be able to run away or perform any specials.

It makes using plate armor much more tempting to use in certain situations but not necessarily as effective as one would think against opponents that can land you on your ass flat constantly.Additionally I also see this being a secret technique for warrior guilds. Something clerics and non-warriors guild are able to achieve with such heavy armors
Geas. Imagination sold separately.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#122 Post by Abharsair » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:59 am

iza wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:30 am Hi, great change I just have some comments and questions:

QUESTION 1:
Abharsair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 am Not only do they attack slower due to encumbrance, they also parry/dodge worse and had to rely more heavily on the protection of their armor.
I recently saw someone leading a donkey to keep their weight down as they fight and I sincerely thought that was just AWESOME. It is amazing to see the code allow those little details. According to the combat-addon help file which i believe has been updated:"the speed and success in attack/parry now also depends on the encumbrance of the armour."

Is this still related encumbrance we see under vitals? So as your character improves strength and encumberance(shown in vitals) goes down your attack/speed/parry will improve? Or will heavy/medium armours give you a flat penalty to you attack(hit)/parry performance regardless of stats/max skill when compared to an equally encumbered but lightly armoured foe?
No, there's no flat penalty. Your encumbrance influences attack, parry, and speed. If your encumbrance goes down, the others go up. And if your strength increases, your encumbrance decreases.
iza wrote: QUESTION 2:
Abharsair wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 am This percentage depends heavily on armor type (Heavy absorbs more than Medium which absorbs more then Light) and the armor skills plus associated stats.
Considering agility has more to do with avoiding, hitting and speed of attacks, I am hoping that the stat that improve the percentage of damage reduction is constitution? I believe armour skills are all constitution based but I am not sure.
Stats influence skills when it makes sense. Sometimes multiple stats influence a skill equally, sometimes one of them influences it more while others have less impact. And rest assured that I am aware of what makes sense for Heavy Armour.
iza wrote: QUESTION3:
In regards to Tshahark natural armour and satho/lilitth toughness ability. Will this remain flat damage reduction? If so will it be applied last after damage percentage? Considering how cool asral ability is and the usefulness of regen for good gods, hoping this will get looked at to ensure it too scales into high levels.
Natural armor as well as magical armor is not influenced by worn armor, so you don't have to worry that a Tshahark's natural armor would suddenly be lowered by wearing a robe rather than a platemail.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

iza
Veteran

#123 Post by iza » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Awesome change. Thanks again for putting the effort to make this happen.
Geas. Imagination sold separately.

Lauriert
Master

#124 Post by Lauriert » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Cool change. Can't wait to see all the heavy builds now that armor is worthwhile. Thanks for working on this!