Areas in Geas

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Alamar
Master

#21 Post by Alamar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:12 pm

I kept meaning to reply to this post and never got the chance. Here goes...

Alamar's favourite places (in no particular order):

1) Eal Deliah - I love the feel of the abandoned city with constant references to old battles, invaders, piles of rubble, haunted rooms, undead inhabitants, hidden treasure... Plus the hallucinations, patrols of undead to keep you on your toes... I LOVE E.D.

2) Giat Mountains - Mainly because they are described well and are difficult to get through until your climb is decent. I started going to Giat when I just got climb to 40 and fell down every other room and broke several limbs. I ended up exploring every single room (even that one with the big nasty thing in it that kills people in one hit *shiver*). The ups and downs really give the area a sense of terrain change and really rocky wilderness (good stuff for a ranger character!).

3) Tundra - wandering creatures, nomadic barbarians and goblins (that fight each other!), trolls, and other hidden suprises. I suppose the main reason that I like the tundra is that it has turned into the natural no man's land between the Taniels and the Sathos in the pvp wars that spark up. It's desolate and cold (especially in the winter time) and one must prepare before you head up there.

Those are my personal favourites. I'm really looking forward to exploring the new continent!

-Alamar

Itenin
Journeyman

#22 Post by Itenin » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:07 pm

Most of my favorite areas have been mentioned, but to go over them once more...

1) Eal-Deliah - I love this area. Its completely decimated and you can see both in its inhabitants and the enviroment that it was done in a particularly gruesome manner. While I can manage in most of the common areas people explore by myself there is still that feeling of unfathomable evil, such as the tree, lich tower, and knowing that somewhere inside elves are mutated into dark elves. There's also that nagging fear of catching leprosy...

2) Arctic - Desolate. Its truly a place of animals where the feeling is kill or be killed. No one is going to help you, or even see you die, so its up to you to provide the means for your own survival. The most northern areas you even have to rely on your own devices to find your way. There are also the relatively hidden areas, such as where the living armour is, that add a sense of untamed wilderness to the climate.

3) Legion Fort - Alright, I'll admit my memory isn't too great on this one, but I do remember liking it. There were sentries EVERYWHERE, and it really felt like a heavily fortified fort manned by battle-hardened veterans. There was no religious affiliation, no para-normal powers...what was there was secured through ages of warfare. That always left an impression on me.

jezz
Hero

#23 Post by jezz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Itenin wrote:there is still that feeling of unfathomable evil, such as the tree, lich tower

Ehem

Olrane
Champion

#24 Post by Olrane » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:59 pm

Favorite places...I have a lot. I really like West Amward because of the darkelves. Like anything, it's the atmosphere and staying on your toes that makes it good, which is why I like E.D. (when I don't die in a couple hits as is the usual case).

I'm also a big fan of the ice labyrinth...for those who can navigate labyrinths, they're quite interesting, especially if your skill is low enough to have potential mistakes with traps, hehehe. The pure immensity of the place and the constant fear of being lost are often more fulfilling to me than E.D. is, because I at least can hold my own against the monsters (still with the exception of those NASTY giants). I would love to see a new 'rinth on the new continent, I regret missing the dragon hunt.

Delia
Overlord

#25 Post by Delia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:45 am

Something I'd like to see with the addition of new areas/tweaks of existing ones is making the areas more interconnected. For example allowing passage from Giat mountains/foothills into Amward plains and Elvandar forest, perhaps even to the tundra.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Alamar
Master

#26 Post by Alamar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:55 pm

I'll second that... and add another bit to it... the whole western half of the continent.

It seems like there is a lot of undeveloped land out west... maybe there could even be another town/city or two in that area with a main road heading there as well as smaller passes through the Giat.

On the whole it would be nice to have the Giat lead between places (even the arctic). Mounts of course are out, and heavy armoured types should have a real hard time getting over (and use the main road instead). The mountain passes would be accessible by light fighters (yes i'm thinking of my old ranger buddies) and make mountain lore a bit more useful.

I can expand on this topic alot if desired... for now I'll leave it at a seedling of an idea...

-poalamar

Drake
Wizard

#27 Post by Drake » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:55 am

There is a significant swath of land out to the west of the Giat mountains which I secured during the process of establishing the coastline of Giat.

The development of that land however has to wait until I have the time to code not only the area, but what has to go into it so its not just a few hundred rooms of nothing. And that is what will take the time, time which I do not have in plenty.

At the moment, only the coastline itself, and a few small areas have been put there. The rest, shall have to wait.

Drake
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.