Areas in Geas

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Abharsair
Site Admin

Areas in Geas

#1 Post by Abharsair » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:49 pm

Which area in Geas is your favourite one, and why do you like it more than the others? Feedback to that question is actually quite useful for future projects, so don't be shy and let us know. Or else you might end up with 1,000 rooms of a Smurf village, where the only thing to do is painting each other with blue color. And yeah, there are always twisted people who would like that. :wink:
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

stilgar
Champion

#2 Post by stilgar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:52 pm

In my opinion Eal-Deliah is definiately one of the bests. Why? Smells, sounds added, a lot of things to take a look at it. Nearly each room reveals a part of a legend. A lot to explore, a lot to reveal..
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:43 pm

I've always been interested in Ironhold for a similar reason. I've always liked looking around it to find things about the cities' past, and I've always been interested in the inhabitants. Right now, Ironhold and the nearby goblin camps are just areas with enemies to smash, but I've always liked the idea of them establishing a sort of territory system like the 'humanoid' cities have.

Another area I like is the Garden where the Evren shrine is. The area itself kind of reminds me of a small village surrounded by forest and nature, without having the same 'present civilization' touch that cities like Arborea and Elvandar have.

jezz
Hero

#4 Post by jezz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:42 am

Eal-Deliah rocks, as I posted in the OOC board when it appeared :P Every room has something to look at, that reveals something to look at, that reveals something to search, that reveals something to push, or examine, or turn... ;)

In fact, it's the zone with more explore xps in Geas ;) Too bad undeads can't really be killed if you aren't crusty or taniel, and Jezz has had hard times trying to explore most of the zones.

So ED would be my favorite place. And my favorite hack'n'slash zone... would be either highelf valley, ogre cauldron or tchark rift :) Depending on how many times I have died.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:52 am

Alright, looks like Eal-Deliah is the favourite area for most people who actually can survive there (*pats himself on his shoulder*), but let me specify my question then: What makes an area in your opinion entertaining, what do you really like, what do you really dislike, and what kind of areas would you like to have in the future?

stilgar
Champion

#6 Post by stilgar » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:00 am

Areas with a LOT of option, a lot to explore, a place that cries for RP (like top of the enormous rock near Elvandar-Arborea road isa nice plce for lowers)

Plces that offer smells, sounds, tricks and thinking

Abharsair
Site Admin

#7 Post by Abharsair » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:56 am

So only three of you people out there have a favourite area and can tell me why? Maybe we should really re-consider the smurf village.

lirynel
Veteran

#8 Post by lirynel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:59 am

I like smurfs! Can't wait to see their village!

Seriously. I think the lack of answers is because people have already said what needs to be said, Atmospheric areas with lots to look at and think about.

Devi
Hero

#9 Post by Devi » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Giat is probably one of my favourite areas. It's lonely and secluded with lots of little secrets and nice scenery, not to mention the 4 or 5 npcs there are all very interesting and insane. My second favourite is probably the Underground. It has tons of little secrets and quests My third would be the Cauldron because it's the most interactive area in Geas. Ring the gong, look out the tower, move boulders, read the trees, look out over the valley... there are tons of amazing things you can do there that you can't do anywhere else (without emotes).

I like areas with unique rooms and things to discover. The more atmosphere, the better. For example, the rift, without its atmosphere, would be just another boring hack&slash area. I don't really like strictly hack&slash areas.

tessa
Overlord

#10 Post by tessa » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:11 pm

If a smurf village really is made, I'm going to burn it down every chance I get. ;)

anglachel
Site Admin

#11 Post by anglachel » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:26 am

A smurf village? Then the alchimists need a recepie to make
gold with smurfs! Or they can make a happines-potion with
smurf-noses. You will sing 'lalala' and giggle all the time :wink:

Abharsair
Site Admin

#12 Post by Abharsair » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 am

It's scary that you aren't scared by the prospect of a Smurf village. Well, at least I am scared. A lot.

stilgar
Champion

#13 Post by stilgar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:20 am

Abharsair wrote:It's scary that you aren't scared by the prospect of a Smurf village. Well, at least I am scared. A lot.
Unless you say an evil dwarf village, or a darkelf-heaven I 'm not scared at all :twisted:

tessa
Overlord

#14 Post by tessa » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:17 am

Abharsair wrote:It's scary that you aren't scared by the prospect of a Smurf village. Well, at least I am scared. A lot.
I'm scared. That's why I want to destroy it if it actually existed.

jezz
Hero

#15 Post by jezz » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:53 am

Anyway, if you code it Abh, surely they will be cannibal smurfs that like to listen Ramnstein (it's written that way?) and summon devils to play sado-games with them the whole day :)

So I'm even temptated of asking you to code it.

And about zones I have liked... Well, I'm not very objective here, because I love everything that's evil, twisted, bloody and satanic :) So Eal-Deliah, the tchark rift, the Pain Tower...

As an example, I'd like Asador to be more creepy. Right now, it's less more than a stinky city :P I always thought about Asador like those kind of cities that have two faces... the "citizen part", and the "shadowy streets", maybe filled by semi-undeads cloaked, mad preachers, full of thieves and agressive brutes and so :)

Of course, that would turn Asador into a city with a "light satho part" and a "hardcore satho part", where only real evil chars would dare to enter. Maybe you could even code some kind of "respect" among evil chars, that would affect their chances of getting attacked there :D Would be cool!

And I have a lot more of ideas for the city xD But at this rate I guess it will be better if I send them in a mail.

yandros
Wizard

#16 Post by yandros » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:05 pm

I really like Arborea as a city and the ice labyrinth (even when it's not accessible for most of players alone) as a exploration/killing-zone.

As wizard and player, I would say a favourite area for me should accomplish several points:

1. Good background: As a player you would invest some time to know about the story of the area, why is it there, and on the other side offer something interesting for all the roles or proffessions.

2. Quests: I think most of players like to investigate about the existing quests, some of them for the experience points, some others for brain-melting puzzles.

3. Monsters: Of course. We have players who like to hunt. Here it must exists a nice variety and probably progressive leveling of the critters to give the sensation of playing a platform game where you must kill the final boss using all the tricks you know.

4. Exploration: A nice area should offer some exploration, and rewards for finding places for the first time. I dunno if you all like to grab a piece of paper and a pencil and start to draw your map... I really do enjoy that. Others like to mine, search herbs, hunt for skins, etc. Secret areas with valuable things for players are very cool stuff.

5. Guilds/Politics: If this area is a city, politics, conspirations and such are real funny when you have to compete against other players.

Sure I forgot to mention some others things, anyone would like to add something? Do it! If wizzies are coding a new continent they would like to know what to add there to make very attractive for all of you.

Yandros.

Delia
Overlord

#17 Post by Delia » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:49 am

I have to agree with Eal-Deliah, though i can't survive there myself :cry: , so travels there are extremely rare, or then again i'm just a wuss and don't have the guts,but then again the place is supposed to be very intimidating and mysterious, so it has been a great success. :D
I also like the Amward plains as with all its different places its quite a big place to explore...though I'd like to see some goblinoid patrols there travelling around and hunting for wayward travellers :twisted: , maybe even daring to venture a little bit more eastward if left alone for a time to gather their courage...*hint*hint* I think Beddy had something like this on his mind when he was around. *Misses Beddy* :cry:

korsario
Experienced

#18 Post by korsario » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:13 am

Delia wrote: *Misses Beddy* :cry:
Hey who doesnt miss beddy :)
I have to agree with most, my favourite area is Eal-deliah, although I also liked the rift, yes I am among those brain sick that know it by heart :P
But yes, EA is the best area so far, but not for all publics. As a good area, for most publics... *ponder* well best places are the nastiest.Cant help.
And about what a good area should have... make it a misterious area, even when its not that dangerous, make it look like it. place different monster levels and give it a chance for players to survive, add on the top some treasure and quest, and you got something nice.

genesis
Wizard

What makes area good?

#19 Post by genesis » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:03 pm

I think what makes area good, at least for me, is interaction. Level of interaction should be increased, especially in the cities that are the centre of interaction in this game, while also supporting main guilds, quests as well as meeting places for player-characters.

I would like to suggest, that the cities to be changed into a relativistic way of dealing with players. No more gnoll attacking you straight away, but instead a gnoll city where you have a level of dislike and/or respect. Also, different groups (clerics) would respond to you differently when compared to e.g. a bookbinder guild.

So, I would like to introduce few values for each CITY and each PLAYER:
- fear (as abovementioned by Jezz by the name respect): do you really think you (NPC) can win against this PC? this would be affected by your general way of acting in the city: do you kill people? do you steal?
- respect: if player does good things for a city, his respect among them rises, and they like him more - this is affected by long-term actions: do you give money to poor? do you support the justice by bringing thieves to court?
- dis/liking: this goes for your most recent actions: have you just killed someone. this would be a value that quite quickly comes back to zero, a short-time modifier (also affected by people u've been seen teaming with)
- statics: some cities dislike elves, some darkelves, some dwarves, etc. citizens get a bonus...

Now, using all these variables (fear, respect, disliking, statics) each city (or faction) would take a different liking on different players.

Also, this would make it possible for Lilithians and other evil people to have outposts, bases of operation, where they would have their own kind of people around them.

This kind of change in the code of the cities would - of course - mean nothing new for the goodies, since they go into the evil cities and kill everyone bitch there is! But for players of evil characters this would be a massive change, and would improve possibilities of RPing an evil one. We would slowly drift for absolute to relativistic.
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Delia
Overlord

#20 Post by Delia » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:32 am

I visited the Arborea graveyard after a long time, last time I was there Delia was a newbie I think, so its been a while. I was quite pleased with the place, about everything was lookable, and there were some room emotes which could be also looked at. It was also nice how the gate was addressed even from far away rooms. Really atmospheric place, all thumbs up!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra