Swamp holes

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Olrane
Champion

Swamp holes

#1 Post by Olrane » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:19 am

It's not exactly a bug, but more of a punishing game design thing.

Dropped items in the swamp get immediately swallowed by swamp holes. That's cool enough if there's a recourse to get them back through some sort of search...maybe through application of "swamp lore" skill.

As it is now, you can just lose custom weapons incredibly easily. I'd be perfectly happy to spend an hour looking, I just feel like I should be more likely to find something if I do spend the time or have the skills.

RIP my dagger, thanks leap attack.

luminier
Overlord

Re: Swamp holes

#2 Post by luminier » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:10 am

that sucks, i feel for you. on the bright side you have 5 more days to look for it. reboot isn't till friday =D
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

anglachel
Site Admin

#3 Post by anglachel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 am

Magic items and artifacts should be not swallowed by swamp holes.
The reboot is no limit to get a item back.

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:30 pm

I didn't see it personally, but, I know a person who lost the dragonlance (an artifact) to a swamp hole. Though that was about 2-3 years ago now. Mightve changed since then.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Allurana
Hero

#5 Post by Allurana » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Reboot won't swallow up the swamp hole items, but it may be a while before your item resurfaces. It'll be a matter of patience and luck; there's probably a lot of daggers and boots out there.

Would agree though, it might be nice if there was a way to better find lost items. Once there's a few hundred different items lost in a given room, the RNG chance of the desired item washing back up could potentially take an incredibly long time.

Pro-tip: Every item you reclaim from the swamp floor is one less item cluttering its unknown depths.

Aturshus
Veteran

#6 Post by Aturshus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:48 pm

There is a way to stir up the swamps, with a spear or other long pole weapon. I can't remember the syntax, maybe somebody else can? Stove with weapon or stave with weapon or something maybe, I don't know. It's a thing, I know that...

anglachel
Site Admin

#7 Post by anglachel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm

There is only one artifact which can be swallowed by a swamp hole,
For the magic item, i must add a correction. Low power magic items can be swallowed.

Arsicas
Master

#8 Post by Arsicas » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm

So, is there actually a way to stir up things from the swamp using a polearm/staff/spear?

If not, could maybe a way to search swamp holes and be successful in finding stuff depending upon swamp lore be added?

I just lost a bunch of stuff when my corpse rotted, including a couple customs, so... it would be nice if I didn't have to wait here for days hoping for them to resurface. :(
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

Arsicas
Master

#9 Post by Arsicas » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Luminier helped me figure it out. :) It's 'stoke with <weapon>' and the weapon needs to be at least 2 meters long.

Not sure if there is a limit on the number of times you can do it though. I got something on my first try, but I've only gotten 'A nearby swamphole bubbles loudly.' on my subsequent tries.

Edit: It seems that it works similar to finding herbs in that you can use it once per room and then have to wait for it to reset.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.