MUD client extensions

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

jash
Beginner

MUD client extensions

#1 Post by jash » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:47 am

I am kinda thinking of putting together some extensions for the lyntin mud client - mainly because I want to get back into coding again and I like python.
As GEAS is the only mud I play now - and I don't play often they are likely to be GEAS specific.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what is and is not appropriate for a GEAS extension to a MUD client.
For example, I am not into robots much - I like the immersion that comes with having to type - also I dislike automappers so I probably won't go there - they destroy my suspension of disbelief and make the MUD seem small.
I am starting with a little gizmo to graphically display the exits to a room but I am totally open to doing anything that any of you guys feel would be good.
maybe something to fill a database with info about your char for viewing offline when you type *skills* or something.
By the way, I just thought that probably not many of you use lyntin, but any ideas appreciated.
:)
J.

Kortha
Master

#2 Post by Kortha » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 pm

Well, I don't use that client, but here's a few ideas.

Some players have a script to look at all their skills and tell which ones have degraded how much. (This would more than likely just depress me. :P) You might think about doing that if it's possible.

At least one player also has a script to change stats into numbers (1 sublevel=1 point) and identify how far the char has to go before it's recovered from death.

A database where you can enter tidbits about various chars would be cool too. It could automatically detect their shortdesc, race, sex, hair/eye color, height/weight so you could search for all male elves with brown hair, or everyone with "inquisitive" in their shortdesc. Then it could have several fields where you enter whatever info/gossip you want...what guilds they're in, who they're dating, how many times a day they pick their nose. Depending on the capabilities of your client, you could even make it so that chars who meet certain criteria get their names displayed in red so you know at a glance who to kill and/or run the hell away from.

Just some thoughts. :)
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

jash
Beginner

hmmmm...

#3 Post by jash » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:06 pm

I like the one about logging characteristics of other players met. Good for me as I play so rarely nowadays, I think I remember everyone I have met and who helped me when etc but I would hate to have forgotten someone...
I already log all the MUD output using the client as then I can replay it for parser testing purposes without doing silly repetative stuuf in GEAS itself (Drake once caught me wandering around in circles in the Arborea temple and asked if I was ok!!! I was testing my direction finder thingy. I don't do that anymore.... All testing happens offline.
So It could log all past character interactions and then pull up ones with certain characters or events (like joining partys or sneak attacks) in when you meet them again. Kind of like a memory of the past trauma flashback thingy.
I have to be careful of only using information that would be available to the character but that would be easy as geas does a pretty good job of that already with the excellent way it handles OOC stuff.
Hmmmm.....