RP

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Xog
Apprentice

RP

#1 Post by Xog » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:19 pm

So,
I am just writing this not out of wanting to start a flame war, but just a personal experience.
I understand completely that geas is a pk mud.
I also understand that there will be conflict and death.
I also understand oocly good vs evil and all that.
I accept all that, and that's all fine.
However...
What I don't understand is why there should be pk, without some kind of dialog upfront?
My character in question, is a hark, and therefore acted and thought like a hark.
He's yung, and absolutely clueless about what's going on around him.
In fact, I have left doors opened so that people could take some kind of advantage of him because of his naivety.
What really ruins gameplay, is when people just come up out of the blue and attacks people for absolutely no reason, no dialog, and no explanation and kills you.
It really doesn't leave doors opened for any kind of rp.
Especially when your an ediot hark and is all flustered and confused.
If my death had been from some kind of dialog, and or I was truly evil and had been murdering people, then awsome, bring it.
But, when its just walking up to me, and attacking me until I die, then what the heck man?
I didn't even draw weapons out, I put up no fight. I just stood there while I was killed.
Yeah, I said allot of ooc crap during the attack, because I was at this point really ticked off because I found this to not be rp driven, but what ever.
Just maybe for the future, at least have some kind of rp involved before just murdering someone out of the blue.
Especially if its been known a player is playing someone that doesn't understand the world exactly, and is a little stupid lol.
Just my 2 coppers worth.
Maybe I wasn't playing a hark like I should have? IDK.
Over the past month and a half or so, I've really enjoyed the rp.
I've really grown into my character, and was hoping to bring more of his personality out.
I never intended for this hark to be book smart, or world smart.
He was a fighter, and he was really trying to learn the world in his own way.
I guess I said all this to say...
Maybe have some kind of dialog before attacking?
Allow both sides of the story to talk and explain and or do what ever it is they wish to do.
Just noncense slaughter is no fun for anyone.
I think if I were a crusader, and I was attacked by a hidden death priest, then I could wrap my head around this.
Everyone knows that crusaders and darkelves are open door attack policy.
Same with taniels.
Its a reason I didn't want to be a crusader.
Ok, getting off my soapbox. *smile*

Arsicas
Master

Re: RP

#2 Post by Arsicas » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Hm, were you in a contested area? E.g., evils claim the north as theirs and don’t exactly like people roaming the tundra/arctic. That’s the only reason I could think someone might just outright attack a guildless character, unless you were doing something questionable like killing NPCs that are protected/aligned with a certain guild (Sathos don’t like you killing undead, Crusaders/Taniels don’t like you killing unicorns).

I hope there was at least some rp afterwards? I would agree that, yes, just outright attacking someone you may not have even had interactions with previously is bad form. Small characters especially should be given a bit of lenience even if they’re doing something that might get them attacked. Hopefully you will still give it a chance.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

Ash
Beginner

#3 Post by Ash » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Knowing the circumstances and the story surrounding this my only suggestion is to try not to take things OOCly too much. If a character is being completely evil/insane IC then try to find an IC solution. There are many very strong people who wouldn't stand for that type of behavior especially against precious cute lizard Xoggie.

Silvie

#4 Post by Silvie » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Having heard the Circumstances of this conflict also both IC and OOC. I would fail to say that there wasn't any RP involved. And the player who did it said they had interacted with Xog before, told them what they did wrong before, and had warned them they would do that to them. So I wouldn't really so it's no explanation or whatever, the RP behind the kill apparently happened before it happened, and from what I've heard it made quite a lot of sense for the character and the guild they occupy that did it. So I wouldn't see it as anything OOC or even not rp, just a different kind of RP.

Wade
Professional

#5 Post by Wade » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 pm

Sorry that happened to you xog. :(

Aslak
Master

#6 Post by Aslak » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:27 pm

The reasons are questionable at best, noone on the good side was harmed in any way by Xog, nor was any evil deed being committed. But beside the reasons, to outright slaughter a rather young char in a 2v1 scenario by two much older chars, what is never going into my head what in the world would justify to steal every single piece of equipment just to destroy it by arma. That is neither RP, nor reasonable or anything, it is just an outright try to take the fun away from another player, nothing less.

Arsicas
Master

#7 Post by Arsicas » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:51 pm

So, upon further review (I wasn’t directly involved in any of this; this is just what I’ve heard from other people), Xog did something some goodies didn’t like, and they later attacked him for it and ended up killing him. His stuff was taken but later returned. And there is a difference of opinion as to whether it was appropriate or not.

In my opinion, even if you’re playing an extremist character, you should at least give a warning before resorting to pvp. Let the character know that what they are doing is something that might get them killed/in trouble/etc., and if they continue to do it, then that’s their choice and they’ll have to face the consequences. I don’t know the exact circumstances in this case besides there was some interaction beforehand. But as a general rule, I think this would at least give newbies a chance to realize X behavior might get them in trouble or X people might skin you alive without feeling like they’re being attacked out of nowhere.

Also, in my opinion, I don’t think every pvp encounter needs rp before blows are struck if the antagonism has been established. Could there be rp beforehand? Sure. But I also think people like the element of surprise in pvp and won’t necessarily give that up just to make threatening remarks to their mortal enemy.

Also also, I think it’s important to separate the character’s actions from the player. A character might be a total fanatic or a real jerk, but I would hope they’re not trying to make the other player miserable irl. So even if someone does something you don’t like, please try to keep it IC. But yes, that also means taking a look at your own actions and thinking what impact this will have on the other player. Because even if it is something your character might do, if it will ruin the other player’s day, that really isn’t conducive to a fun gaming environment. I think looting and otherwise making it difficult for the other player to get back on their feet and overcome a loss falls into that category. Conflict can be fun, and even losing can be entertaining, but it takes player trust and collaboration for that to happen.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.