Deity change

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Deity change

#1 Post by vurdijak » Sat May 13, 2006 12:56 pm

I was wondering, will there still be a command to choose which deity you
worship? For instance, if someone has very close faith in two gods, will they be able to choose between the two in any way?

Also does this mean that everyone in Geas will worship one god?

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Deity change

#2 Post by Abharsair » Sat May 13, 2006 4:24 pm

vurdijak wrote:I was wondering, will there still be a command to choose which deity you worship? For instance, if someone has very close faith in two gods, will they be able to choose between the two in any way?
No. If you want to change your god, you'll have to aquire enough faith in the new one, and possibly lose some in the old one. Your actions (faith) will determine who you worship
vurdijak wrote:Also does this mean that everyone in Geas will worship one god?
Not quite sure what you mean, but yes, people will have to focus a bit more on the deity they wish to worship. Or to use a famous quote "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other."

chara
Wizard

#3 Post by chara » Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Personally, I'd consider "worship" to mean "follow the most closely" in this situation. If you do not actively worship a god but follow his or her tenants, that would be the god that you would be considered to worship.

vurdijak
Hero

another question then

#4 Post by vurdijak » Sat May 13, 2006 11:50 pm

In another topic we already decided that Geas is not a place
in which someone can be an agnostic or atheist and be sane.
So I guess the question now is, will we be able to not follow and/or
not worship a god after the change? After all, it is possible to
know something exists and ignore it.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Sun May 14, 2006 4:17 am

Sure you can. But you'll have to actively not worship them. That means as long as you have no large amount of faith in any of the deities, your god remains "none". But if you listen to several preaches in order to reap the benefits of having faith without the obligations of being a worshipper, then your god "none" will most likely change to that deity.

vurdijak
Hero

god none

#6 Post by vurdijak » Sun May 14, 2006 12:17 pm

Alright that answers my questions. Thanks Abharsair and Chara

Devi
Hero

#7 Post by Devi » Mon May 15, 2006 1:37 am

Tessa already brought up this point in the original thread (the problem with god-none people): What about worshippers of Gwen?

Currently, there are no ways (as far as I know!) to gain favour with the loving goddess.

Furthermore, with a dynamic system, the gods Asral and Taniel are vastly favoured, since they have preaching clergies. Could an option be added to ignore preaches while resting? (standing up to avoid gaining favour seems a bit... silly)

The second problem is minor in comparison to the first. Even a donation box in an inn would be an improvement.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#8 Post by Abharsair » Mon May 15, 2006 3:59 am

Devi wrote:Tessa already brought up this point in the original thread (the problem with god-none people): What about worshippers of Gwen?

Currently, there are no ways (as far as I know!) to gain favour with the loving goddess.
It's going to be taken care of.
Devi wrote:Furthermore, with a dynamic system, the gods Asral and Taniel are vastly favoured, since they have preaching clergies. ... (standing up to avoid gaining favour seems a bit... silly)
But that's exactly what we want you to do. You don't want to have faith in Taniel? You leave the room. The idea is that your actions (and your actions only) will determine whom you worship, and not commands or options.

Kortha
Master

#9 Post by Kortha » Mon May 15, 2006 11:29 am

What about when you have favour you don't want? Currently the best way to get rid of it without getting killed is to go break a bone and have it healed, but doesn't it seem a bit odd to say "gee I don't wanna worship this god, so I'll have his priest heal me!"?

And, I hope there's enough leeway that 1 preach won't convert you. Because sometimes there's situations where you HAVE to listen to someone preach because otherwise they won't have enough power to do anything. I suppose you could say "well Asral priests should only hunt with Asral followers" but then there'd be hardly anyone to hunt with.

Also, what about newbies? While this change will make priests want to convert them even more, it also gives some gods an advantage since the newbies may not know what they're doing yet. So we have some guy who if he knew about all the gods would choose to worship Evren, but he happens to have an Asral take him hunting and the Asral runs out of favour and needs to preach. Newbie ends up worshipping Asral, and when he finds out more about the gods he gets pissed off and tries to gain favour with Evren, and if he finally manages to make the switch he gets a penalty and gets even more pissed off. So imo there should be a way for newbies to have a period where their actions can't screw their char over bigtime out of cluelessness.

Oh, and what about the temple(s?) that you can't get to unless you worship that god already? Will it still be that way, or will you have to bug a worshipper to take you there, or what?
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

Devi
Hero

#10 Post by Devi » Mon May 15, 2006 12:46 pm

You don't want to have faith in Taniel? You leave the room.
Well, I don't know how things work in Geas, but in real life, I can usually safely ignore someone preaching at me without fear of conversion. I don't understand the idea of fleeing from favour. Why not just not listen?

(edit for errant tag)

chara
Wizard

#11 Post by chara » Mon May 15, 2006 12:48 pm

You can also do it in Geas, unless your faith in your present god is extremely low - but if you listen to many preaches, and take other actions to follow a god's teaching, you're going to get converted.

EDITED TO ADD: Also remember that from an in-game perspective, listening to preaches not only strengthens the clerics that you are listening to, but also the GOD of the clerics that you are listening to at the expense of your own god. This is a vast difference from the real world, and should probably require some IC thought before just politely listening.
Last edited by chara on Mon May 15, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genesis
Wizard

#12 Post by genesis » Mon May 15, 2006 1:49 pm

Love the change, really!! <3 <3 <3 <3

Oh, remember, we also have preaching Sathonys Clerics. :D They rock.
Genesis the ideaSpawner

jezz
Hero

#13 Post by jezz » Mon May 15, 2006 3:27 pm

The day a satho cleric can preach at inn crossroad without someone coming in to attack him... that day... you will suffer :D

Delia
Overlord

#14 Post by Delia » Tue May 16, 2006 1:13 am

Now with this deity change and all I'm even more surprised no-one has produced "The Big Book Of Do's And Dont's" for clergies yet, and for us lowly sinners too. If such works exists I'm in the dark, but somehow I think even the higher-up priests just make it up as they go. So...?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Abharsair
Site Admin

#15 Post by Abharsair » Tue May 16, 2006 6:18 am

To address some of the stated concerns:

1) Newbies won't be penalized for switching deities.

2) As long as your faith in your chosen god is strong you won't be converted. Not even after listening to 20 preaches of some other god.

3) Even if you start to convert to another god, it won't happen instantly and you have plenty of time to do something about it.

4) As opposed to the old system, people will be able to return to worshipping "no god" even if they have already worshipped one before. However, that requires now to really not worship anyone (no rituals, no preaches, no donations) and to not have faith in any of the gods.

Concerning when we are planning to introduce the new system, well, it's already finished for some days now. We're only adding a new shrine and want to give people enough time to get rid or aquire faith in the deities they wish to worship. Therefore we intend to activate the deity system at the latest before the reboot on Friday, but possibly even earlier.

Drake
Wizard

#16 Post by Drake » Tue May 16, 2006 8:28 am

As Abharsair has already said, the lack of a place of worship for the Goddess Gwen is being taken care of, and has now been added to the game.

For those of you who have joined the forums, here is the little bonus over those who have yet to join.

The shrine isn't really hidden, however since its up in the Giat hills, its not all that well travelled.
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

Devi
Hero

#17 Post by Devi » Thu May 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Apologies if this was said and I missed it.

Will there still be the massive experience penalty when changing gods?

Abharsair
Site Admin

#18 Post by Abharsair » Thu May 18, 2006 12:28 pm

Devi wrote:Apologies if this was said and I missed it.

Will there still be the massive experience penalty when changing gods?
There is no (not even a little one) experience penalty anywhere in the game.

tessa
Overlord

#19 Post by tessa » Thu May 18, 2006 10:06 pm

I think she meant vitality penalty.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to suggest perhaps having priest at temples and shrines preach by request. As it is right now, Taniel, Asral, and Sathonys have a huge advantage over the other gods in that they have player-chars that can go around preaching to raise faith and convert. Yes, the other four have means of raising faith, but I think if some of the gods can have preachers, I think all of them should.

Olrane
Champion

#20 Post by Olrane » Fri May 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Tessa's idea sounds good, but I'd like to add that that might be a bit too easy for people trying to get a little faith. Therefore, maybe a NPC priest could preach if there's a large enough congregation, say 3 player characters? Then it's at once a way to earn faith and a nearly forced roleplay between the characters involved.

Just my 2 cc.

Olrane