Deity change

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tessa
Overlord

#21 Post by tessa » Fri May 19, 2006 10:25 pm

I suggest making preaches by npcs not give as much faith, and have a waiting period between asking for preaches.

I'm not so sure about getting more than one player present to listen to the preaches, because I think it'll be rather hard for followers of unpopular gods (lilith, gwen) to find two other followers and all get on at the same time to go listen to a preach. And that's assuming the three of them get along.

genesis
Wizard

#22 Post by genesis » Sat May 20, 2006 4:25 am

If we're going to have NPC given sermons, I would like to see that the system doesn't come up exactly the same as infamous X - those who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about. I would suggest a system of frequent sermons in the temple, e.g. in the dawn, noon or so on. This could also differ from deity to deity. (ed) A system that consists only of the sermon is BORING and everyone can ignore it and so, so I'd go for a system that has a bit more depth and variety from deity to deity.

My suggestion: Services, consisting of sermon + some stuff.

Some lists for services (where sermons are held). One of the services is the "main service" of the day, marked with an asterisk (*).

Taniel: at noon service of the *Sun; at twilight, service of the Conquering Sun
Evren: at dawn, the service of the *Refreshing Dew; at noon, the service of the Sun
Gwen: at 15.00 service of Warm Love, at 22.00 service of *Nightly Love
Zhakrin: at dawn, the service of Balance in Light, at twilight: the service of Balance in Darkness; midnight the service of *Hidden Balance
Asral: at 06.00 service of Ignition, at 15.00 service of *Burning Fire; at 21.00 the service of Calm Fire
Lilith: three services of *Chaos spread around the day randomly
Sathonys: at twilight the service of Conquering Darkness, at midnight the service of the *Dark Kingdom, at 03.00 the service of Overpowerful Darkness

The services would differ from each other and consists of several prayers, sermon and perhaps a creed or so, of course differing from deity to deity. Of course, Lilithian service would always be random :D

After I finish my current project, I can make all the abovementioned (Autumn).
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Abharsair
Site Admin

#23 Post by Abharsair » Sat May 20, 2006 5:51 am

The only way I would consider NPCs giving preaches an option would be if three or more players request it, because I can see how that would promote a sense of community among those followers. However, one or two alone is definitely a no-go, because if we wanted the players to have an easy and generic way of aquiring faith, we wouldn't have invested the work in coding seven different faith sources.

Also, some of you seem to forget the reason why many have chosen a deity who has no clergy yet: the lack of rules, interference and meddling by a clergy of that deity. If you have no Lilith clerics you also have no one who tells you how you have to behave as Lilith follower. That means you got more freedom. On the other hand, it also means that it would be completely unfair and also unwanted from our side if you then also have the benefits of a clergy, namely preaches and an easy way to aquire faith.

tessa
Overlord

#24 Post by tessa » Sat May 20, 2006 8:02 am

Abharsair wrote:Also, some of you seem to forget the reason why many have chosen a deity who has no clergy yet: the lack of rules, interference and meddling by a clergy of that deity. If you have no Lilith clerics you also have no one who tells you how you have to behave as Lilith follower. That means you got more freedom.
The only problem about that is the current clergies should be more strict with some of their followers. ;P

Though I'm not sure if people are choosing clergy-less gods for the fact they have no clergy, or if they're choosing those gods because the non-clergy ones generally happen to be more passive, and so followers don't have to do anything past sitting around like a bump on a log.

But then, I guess how aggressive or passive a god appears also reflected from the guilds (or lack of) that represent them, so I see where you're getting at.

Sairina
Hero

#25 Post by Sairina » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:22 am

They might just choose that deity, because its ideals appeal to their character (roleplaywise).
I for one would greatly appreciate it if all gods could have player clergy. I know the reason for that not being the case is the small playerbase, but still, I think it might make the game more attractive if you have more than basically one god of each alignment to "choose" from. Now, if you want to be evil, it's Sathonys. If you want to be neutral, it's Asral (OK, there is also Zakhrin, but I think he/she/it has no player priests)
There might be too few characters now worshipping an unpopular god and making it seem a waste of time to create a clergy for them only. But then again, maybe some who would worship the god don't, because it's more interesting to interact with player priests than NPCs.