Race guilds

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Herger

Race guilds

#1 Post by Herger » Tue May 30, 2006 1:00 pm

The guild help page and the homepage list race guilds as the fourth type of guilds. Are they available? Do all races have them?
Its actually more a question than a real topic. :?:

vurdijak
Hero

race guilds

#2 Post by vurdijak » Tue May 30, 2006 9:51 pm

I like the idea but I havent seen anything like that. So I think the answer
is no, there arent any.

Herger

#3 Post by Herger » Wed May 31, 2006 6:09 am

Too bad, although I am a bit relieved not to have posted a totally stupid question then.

vurdijak
Hero

race guilds

#4 Post by vurdijak » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:28 pm

anyone know what a race guild would look like anyway?

Alamar
Master

#5 Post by Alamar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:05 pm

I have seen a few race guilds in other muds... they seem to work something like prestige classes in D&D or like societies. The thing that I like about the guild system in Geas as it stands is that coming into a guild puts you into conflict.

I have heard stories about how Darkelves used to team up with Taniels to go hunt around and I'm really glad that it's not going on right now. I would like to say, however, that there are situations where enemies might be able to parlay and Race guilds might be a way of doing that.

Elven Gladerunners - Any elf who likes the woods (should be most of them) can meet in some single room guildhall up in Elvandar and have discussions about the history of the elves. Maybe one of the posts could be about the founding of Elvandar (written by someone who knows how and when that happened) and another about Eal Deliah (or what little is known).

Dwarven alemakers - Any dwarf who likes to drink ale (should be most of them) can meet in the pub in the Underground and talk about the Dwarven people... where did they come from? Where are their ancient cities located? What ambitions do they have as a race? Dwarves, in all fantasy settings, are strongly linked by blood and kinship... this race guild would likely be very tightly knit.

Halfling Trapspringers - (as above) in the Halfling Embassy? Find out if they have any long lost comrades overseas?

Tshahark Battleragers - Where tshaharks can go and brag about how good they bash. Maybe talk about where they intend to make their homeland... find out why so many of them are still trapped in the Giat.

(Humans) Arborean Militia - (Maybe this is where Dragonguard belongs?) Where they can talk about the status of Arborea as a refuge for humans... they were, after all, creations of Sathonys. Racism against Tshaharks is likely to pop up in this group.

The main thing that any and all race guilds would need is a single room with a board that only people who belonged to that guild could get access to. What it would do, and this is really its only function within the game, is give people a sense of history for their race and a sense of connection with others of the same race. It would be great for newbies as they can start dialoguing with others of their race very quickly and become more integrated into the game.

This is a long term idea, of course, but it has real possibilities for improving roleplay and making character relationships more diverse and interesting.

-poAlamar

amrat
Apprentice

#6 Post by amrat » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 pm

Is there really some reason why Geas should stick to "race guilds" just because some other MUD has them? They have been proven to be a bad idea repeatedly, based on OOC concepts and archaic roleplaying systems.

I suggest making it "background guild", something you choose at character creation and are forced to stick with, it gives you starting skills and money, and depending on the guild, access to some board.

Other ideas?

@Amrat

Tatiana
Apprentice

#7 Post by Tatiana » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm

I don't really like the idea of predefining anything more at the stage of character creation. As for the race guilds I like them because they introduce more variety yet I think they should be open to almost everyone but should show preference for some races:

Sailors would be the human race guild which would mean anyone but tshaharks , half elves and dark elves can join but the humans get a significant skill learning bonus and a bonus to advancing in such guild with other additions like the guards greeting them with more respect and having double votes.

Tshaharks could have a free warrior guild in their castle. Ran by Tshaharks, so any free warrior wanting to join would need to suffer their leadership ;)

Dwarves of course Smiths

Halflings maybe something connected with cooking? *shrug*

Anyway, the point is not to introduce artificial limits to the paths you may choose for your character. Some limits exist in the game world itself but a person playing a half-elf shouldn't expect being welcome anywhere just as a tshahark shouldn't expect being respected so the argument agains race guilds stating that they wouldn't be fair to the races which won't be allowed to join isn't valid, at least for me.

amrat
Apprentice

#8 Post by amrat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:51 am

Tatiana wrote:As for the race guilds I like them because they introduce more variety yet I think they should be open to almost everyone but should show preference for some races
I believe the definition of a race guild is that it is a guild for the members of a certain race, at least this is what it means everywhere else where I've seen the word. If they are open to almost everyone, they should be called something else which was my point.
Tatiana wrote:Sailors would be the human race guild...
Tshaharks could have a free warrior guild...
Dwarves of course Smiths...
Halflings maybe something connected with cooking...
There are already 3 levels of guilds for all these functions in the game, I don't see why there should be a fourth one. The definitions of these three already "cause problems", for example people wanting to be both scribes and alchemists (which is now possible). Someone wanting to play a serious all-around craftsman does not have this option and I would much rather see a primary guild (which are all about combat right now) that would combine the craftsman guilds (in addition to the current ones) than the addition of yet another level.

I believe the fourth level, if necessary at all, should be something completely different than the three existing ones. My suggestions are background or social status. Race fits into this, but unless it is really an "elven supremacy" organization or such, they don't really do much.

@Amrat

jezz
Hero

#9 Post by jezz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:48 am

I'm against the idea of "race guilds". The reason is simple, here in GEAS your race means little about your motivations, except for two races: halfling and tshahark.

Every halfling and tshahark are either neutral or good, and again, this is not the result of RP, but only to the fact that there are no "evil" guilds that fit their styles of playing.

So put a sailor guild for humans, and you will find quickly the same situation we found on scribes when they were found: every scribe should respect his/her guild brothers but the truth was every member tried to hurt another depending on which main guild he/she was.

Maybe one option would be to create a race guild for halflings or tshaharks, that could work, and maybe one for elves, adressed to the elven supremacy as it was mentioned, but humans and dwarves? Hmmmmmmm no

My 2cc :)

tessa
Overlord

#10 Post by tessa » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:53 am

Every halfling and tshahark are either neutral or good
Poor neglected Gen.

jezz
Hero

#11 Post by jezz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 am

Gen was a very experienced player before even beeing born and even then he had a lot of trouble to developd his char.

A new player trying to follow this path would find himself walking as a ghost 90% of the time