Tail Armour

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Don't you think that poor tshaharks should have something to cover their glorious tails better?

yes, they should!
71%
No! only let the dumb lizards have wood.
29%

Total votes: 21

adanath
Champion

Tail Armour

#1 Post by adanath » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:40 am

There are a lot of tshaharks in Geas. A decent number of active ones and ones awake and even NPC's throughout. Yet all there is for tail armour is a simple wooden tail scalemail. Adanath's tail is one of his sources of great pride!

Shop-owners and blacksmiths they live in Geas and make money just as a shopkeeper would in the world. They find things that their customers need and carry them to meet the trends of supply and demand even in ancient times for it has always been such for this is how commerce works. Granted sometimes they cannot pick up what their customers desire but if they can and they believe a profit can be turned it will be done. What then of all the Tshaharks? Is it not logical that a piece of armour as simple as a tail mail would be crafted and sold by armourers and such? Something that is actually made out of a material better than wood?

I know that custom armours can be made in this department but that is not the point really. Why can't there be some tail chainmails and platemails out there.

tarlon
Veteran

#2 Post by tarlon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:08 am

Oh yeah give them plate armours and make them imobile most creatures who has a tail relay alot on them for balanced. putting it in a plate would be realy "nice" because it would be more or less imobile *smile*. I think the weak tail armour is for balance reason as. tshaharks are very strong fighters. they ain´t as slow as dwarves but have more str con and i think even a little natural armour. their weak tail armour and there weak mentals making them victim to some spells are their weakness.

adanath
Champion

#3 Post by adanath » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:27 am

hehe, yeah they are really strong fighters. I am not even saying plate armour. What about a chain tail mail though? You can custom order a mithril one. Why don't smiths make a chain one?

You want to hear about drawback armours are sized according to the person wearing them. When a Tshahark wears full chain damn how heavy is it. So I mean even if it were available as you said it makes them more immobile.

Not crying out for some fancy armour just for a regular chain or light chain tail mail. It would only make sense.

Alamar
Master

#4 Post by Alamar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:37 pm

While we may (and do) disagree on other issues, chainmail tail armour makes plenty of sense to me.

-Alamar

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:17 am

Guess they should have as they can order a custom one...but having one readily available from Arborea ( as an example ) would not make much sense. I mean, that town hates lizzies so why would they offer any special services? Perhaps doing a favour for a dwarven smith under the mountain or something?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

adanath
Champion

#6 Post by adanath » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:58 am

Yes I think a dwarf since that race was first to befriend the tshaharks the second time around should craft one. After all just more money for him no?

Why need to do anything for them though? Perhaps they could be introduced that way. *nods* However, the armourer should make it as a demand, and it would further encumber as well as protect. Besides, it isn't damn wood. hrhr. :P

Also..I am sure they do use their tail for balance. They also have a thick wood covering over it and it does not seem to hinder them. In fact since the rest of their body is so covered in armour, then for the extra stabilization to equalize the weight ratios it would make more sense to have more weight on the tail. Besides, also they can be custom crafted.

Centaurs remind me of this. An odd large race that have armours crafted everywhere for all their legs and everything. This is not so different really a tail that should be covered gloriously because it is a glorious tail :)

adanath
Champion

#7 Post by adanath » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am

For those that disagree I would that they would state one viable roleplay reaon why Tshaharks should not be able to go to an armourer and get tail armours? Tail is a location. People aim at it. It is unfair that a tshahark can do no more about this location than get a wooden scalemail or find thousands upon thousands of grams of mithril and have to talk a wiz into coding a custom tail mail.

Logically supply and demand, they should be there, the only reason people may not want them is they think tshaharks are too strong, but few of them play tshaharks, once again I ask for one viable roleplay reason why not?

The weight and balanced thing as Tarlon said won't work please see my above note.

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 am

While chain seems like the best bet, I think plate with finely-crafted interlocking plates might actually do much better when freedom of tail movement is adressed and be much more durable than wood (one of the reason such mechanism is possible in the first place). Sure the durability of the tail-plate should be less than standard because of the plate-mechanisms. Would such a thing be unbalancing gameplay-wise? Tough, I grant that, but go encase yourself in adamantium, I don't mind. After seeing closehand those lizzies actually trying to learn anything besides fighting...it wasn't even remotely funny :P
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

adanath
Champion

#9 Post by adanath » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am

well with plate the mechanisms required would I think be a bit too much in most cases. However chain would not be very inhibiting..not any more so than a chainmail to arms or legs.