spikes

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

gen
Experienced

#21 Post by gen » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:04 pm

last time i tried them they worked out fairly okay i will try it soon.
Hmm perhaps i should search for some clumsy dwarves to test it.
Okay see you in game
po Gen

Olrane
Champion

#22 Post by Olrane » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:51 pm

In reply to Blizt, if you can see a set trap, you will not trigger it. From my experience, I've not had any other results. Thus someone can set a trap very badly, and since everyone can see it, no one will be affected.
As for set traps, I don't know about how long you can be stuck in one. Again, I think that you can just "open trap" after a while (or there's some delay, I hope!) as long as you're not in combat. If that doesn't work, a friendly can always open the trap.

Delia
Overlord

#23 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 am

Perhaps spikes could have other effects too, like when falling down in a room with spikes could generate a check if the landing happens on spike(s).Or a combat penalty as you are trying to avoid the spikes or something?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Blizt
Hero

#24 Post by Blizt » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Olrane wrote: Thus someone can set a trap very badly, and since everyone can see it, no one will be affected.
Maybe it was just luck, but with a very low skill, I was able to set a trap and place it in a room so that people could not see it. Of course, they did not trigger it when exiting. Of course, this is probably the reason for that.

skill set traps
SKILL: set traps SKILL: 6 KNOWLEDGE: 6

From personal experiance, there have been lots of times people have set traps and I have walked past them, and not been able to see them. I did not trigger them of course, and noticed them when I came in again.

Maybe people just need higher skill in set traps for it to work effectively.

I was told that traps can have some nasty effects, and usually things that have the best effects take the most skill to use.

Oh yeah, lets not snag any newbies while training set traps, they might not appreciate nasty welcomes ;)

Olrane
Champion

#25 Post by Olrane » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:09 am

Can't say I disagree with you there :)

I didn't mean that a hidden trap was a guaranteed catch - just that a visible trap (in every case that I've ever seen) will not ensnare someone, and either way, if there is any doubt, they can try to pick up the trap and remove themselves from potential harm.

Also I guess I overestimated your awareness. Every time I have tried with Olrane to set large traps, I have seen them, but he has had for a very long time decent to good awareness. As an alternate character, I was often able to set traps such that I could not even perceive them; this was only not a hazard to me because I was too heavy for them (small animal traps) but was an indicator that it was well set and likely to trigger if its conditions were met. Kind of funny, actually, how a little halfling can lose his traps.

I am guilty of snagging a newbie... although the only time I ever did it and knew about it I helped them out. I didn't say I was innocent. :twisted:

Blizt
Hero

#26 Post by Blizt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:15 pm

I think you misunderstood me again ;)

I set the trap with that low of skill so that others couldn't see it, but I still could.

However, repeated, and repeated attempts to trigger it failed.

No clue what determines how well you hide it.

Also, I think if you are the one to place the trap, you will always see it. Not sure if this is the case, if I think it should be. Whoever places the trap should remember where they put it.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I am sure that if I placed a trap and people weren't able to see it, then you should be able to as well. You are probably placing them so you can still see them (of course) but others probably aren't able to see them. Its just that catching someone would probably take a bit more skill.

Also, you are right, I dont think I have ever seen a visible trap catch anyone. Of course, if you are the one setting the trap, it may be possible that its always visible to you, but not others. After all, no telling what their char can and can't see.

This is just what I have noticed and what I thought about the subject.
Then again, I re-read your post and you say you set traps that you couldn't even percieve, so I guess I am totally ignorant and wrong on the subject.