Glance

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

jezz
Hero

Glance

#1 Post by jezz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:07 pm

As it is right now, I think it's extremely overpowered. It's a instant skill that allows you to peer into other rooms, out and indoors. You can't be trapped when doing, nor waste favour.

So I'd add a danger: if you fail a check, the enemy notices you and is fast enough, you can be trapped into the room you tried to glance.

Still, it would remain a very useful skill for thieves. But everything has a danger, and so far in GEAS all the skills have a chance of failing and hurting you, in a way or another.

What do you think?

Devi
Hero

#2 Post by Devi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:04 pm

As far as I know, the glancing individual can already be seen (if he messes up) by the inhabitants of the room. There's also a delay after using it, but no delay during use.

I think it should be made like sneak, hide, tracking, and the loads of other skills that have delays.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:34 am

A delay during use rather than after would be nice. I think having skills functioning similarly would be preferable.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Olrane
Champion

#4 Post by Olrane » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

I agree with Jezz that there should be something to nerf glance...even a small chance to activate traps would severely decrease its use, however, since in a PVP setting, if you're good enough to glance without being noticed you're probably good enough to sneak in and spy.
I consider its main benefit for trap-scouting and though it would be nice to have a chance for traps to be triggered, I think it should be small even initially and decrease with high skill.

My 2 cc,
poOlrane

P.S. Maybe it is a lot more useful in PvP than I think...but realize that that does not come with minimal training. A successful PvP glance is difficult to pull off.

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:49 pm

A new idea just occurred to me that would be enough to make a difference but not enough to necessarily trigger traps. If a person fails to glance, he continues into the next room, revealed, and must deal with whatever is there.
If there are traps, he still has a chance to disarm them - if there's a giant and traps, well...he'll have to deal with that giant first or decide to flee and accept the trap.

tessa
Overlord

#6 Post by tessa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:15 pm

I think it's mostly used to see what livings are in other rooms. I'm not really sure traps are that big a deal, since I don't know anyone (besides Olrane I guess) that ever used it to find traps, or even go to places where there are traps (at least ones that you'd want to glance to see if they're there or not).

And while we're on topic of this, I think trickery should have all its different functions divided into seperate skills perhaps, since a lot of them don't really seem the type to fit under the same category.

But, to make the skill as a whole more fair:

glance - Delay when starting to use the skill, and then using it. Kind of like the delay sneak has. I'm not sure about 'trapping' the person in the room, since they'd simply be peeking in, and therefore not really 'deep' enough to get trapped. Spotting them (and then adding a small delay after checking the room to 'come back' or something, so spied on players can run in the room and attack the glancer if they act fast enough) would be enough for this to be a bit more balanced I think. In terms of npcs, maybe if they see the glancer, they too could run into the room and attack them (at least the sorts of npcs that would attack people on sight, like goblinoids).

palm/slide/slip - Chances to drop the item when trying to move it around, sort of like what happens when people try to steal with a low stealing skill. I think detection is already possible for these three, too.

detect - Add a delay when using this too. If a person is trying to be quiet and concentrate on listening for possible noise in another room, I'd imagine it would take a few seconds to determine this, rather than an immediate determination (after all, faint noises might take a bit to detect). A fail on this is misinterpreting how much noise is in a room, I think this is fair enough.

lure - I've never used this, so I'm not really sure of any malus, but if it's not already added, perhaps attempted lurers could be thrown out of a shop if they anger the shopkeeper.