The new reputation system

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Vargrahim
Master

The new reputation system

#1 Post by Vargrahim » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Praise to the wizards..! The changes are great! :D
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

Itenin
Journeyman

#2 Post by Itenin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 pm

Indeed, much praise to the wizards. When I read the news update I could hardly believe it.

Kudos for the great idea.

Devi
Hero

#3 Post by Devi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 pm

I especially like the idea of the npc voting pool for judges. Very well done!

Olrane
Champion

#4 Post by Olrane » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 am

You guys rock so much. Thanks a lot!

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 am

I cannot help but join the choir. A great change, thanks!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Sairina
Hero

#6 Post by Sairina » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 am

Wow. This sounds so cool! :D

Chani
Beginner

#7 Post by Chani » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:29 am

Great stuff!

Abharsair
Site Admin

#8 Post by Abharsair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:21 am

Devi wrote:I especially like the idea of the npc voting pool for judges.
Yes, but that's going to be introduced later when there is more reputation data and more refined basic actions which influence reputation.

Blizt
Hero

#9 Post by Blizt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:55 am

Yeah, this looks great.

I like the local reputations the most, adds alot to the gameplay.

Blizt
Hero

#10 Post by Blizt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:53 pm

Some things I have noticed:

I have seen people on one end of the spectrum go to the other end, in just a short period of time. Their local reputation seemed to changed drastically within the last 24 OOC hours (probably sooner than that, just saying 24 to be safe) including myself.

I will use Arborea for example.

After the change, I checked myself in Arborea, not exactly sure how they responded, but it wasn't up to my standards, so I tried hard to improve it.
I eventually did, and I was seen as a good force to all, at least Volog said so.
After this, I did some quests in Arborea (not sure what quests I did while I was hated, and what ones I did while I was liked, but either way, the quests were good quests, like stopping assasination)
and killed the darkelves in the sewers.
I didnt team to much with anyone inside of Arborea, and those I did team with were also seen as a good force in the world, at least by Volog.
In between these times, I dont THINK I spent any time with people that were seen as unwanted in that area, and I didnt do anything illegal, or similar in the area (unless backstabbing darkelves counts)
Now, within 24 ooc hours, I went from being a good force, to someone that is a truely damned soul. The only thing I can think of that would affect this would be backstabbing a darkelf in the sewer (only one actually) and sneaking into the gremlins.

Anyway, thats just an example, but I have noticed extreme changes in short periods of time, and if this isn't intentional, I thought I would report it here, in case anyone else noticed it, if not, it must be something I did myself, although when I inquire about others, they seem to change drastically in short periods of time as well (but I have no clue what those people do either)

Abharsair
Site Admin

#11 Post by Abharsair » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Blizt wrote:and I didnt do anything illegal, or similar in the area (unless backstabbing darkelves counts)
To that I reply:
Abharsair wrote:as a guideline you can say: would it harm or improve my reputation in real life? If you can answer that question with yes, the chances are good that action will harm or improve your reputation in Geas.
Taken from www.thefreedictionary.com:

Code: Select all

backstab
    To attack (someone) unfairly, especially in an underhand, deceitful manner.
The end does not always justify the means where reputation is concerned.

Blizt
Hero

#12 Post by Blizt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:26 pm

So one incident is enough to change it that much? (well, I may have done other things I didnt notice as well)

Well it does make sense that way, I suppose.
I just thought it changed to fast, apparently not.

Oh yeah, I was mistaken, I wasn't a damned soul, they actually said I looked like someone who would stab you, blah blah blah, so I guess its more realistic this way.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#13 Post by Abharsair » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Blizt wrote:So one incident is enough to change it that much? (well, I may have done other things I didnt notice as well)
I don't think you backstabbed only one time. Keep in mind that if you use the tactics of criminals (e.g. thieves and assassins), you will be associated with them, even if your victims are criminals themselves. That's what reputation is.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#14 Post by Abharsair » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Blizt wrote:...They actually said I looked like someone who would stab you...
By the way, I find that quite amusing in this case. ;)

Blizt
Hero

#15 Post by Blizt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Actually, they said EXACTLY what I did ;)

Thanks for clearing it up, suppose I got caught ;)

kaspars
Journeyman

#16 Post by kaspars » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:31 am

There is one thing that makes me curious - it`s torture.
I like the fact, that `good guys` sometimes do other things but killing. It makes life less predictable :)
But now we try to imagine `good guy` pouring 10l full bucket of holy water in prisoners mouth or `nice, good lady` taking off nails of the victim. This all should affect karma/reputation in some way. Would be bad, if it affects persons in negative way even if it isn`t something that goes along with word `good`, since then people would not do it anymore (maybe).
Or maybe commoner Joe will be only happy to see that `at least this Sathonys slave is walking around without nails, so he is not that dangerous anymore`?

Vargrahim
Master

#17 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 am

kaspars wrote:Would be bad, if it affects persons in negative way even if it isn`t something that goes along with word `good`, since then people would not do it anymore (maybe).
Yes, I agree.

But it is probably a general problem since many actions can be both good or bad, depending on the reasons for the action. E.g. killing a friend of yours so that he will not suffer all the way to death is perhaps a good thing, but killing him because you think he is prettier than you is probably an evil thing.

And I think a computer software can never really detect such differences without some really advanced technology =)

Devi
Hero

#18 Post by Devi » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:04 am

If torturing lowers karma and reputation (I bet whipping someone does), would it still be possible for someone who tortures from time to time to maintain a good reputation if he does enough good stuff? I think it should. That way, Crusaders can torture and repent to their hearts' content.

I think torturing should lower rep (in normal cities) just like backstabbing, but I also think that someone should be able to recover from it without much fuss (unless he tortures folks on a daily basis)

Blizt
Hero

#19 Post by Blizt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Well, I think in most cities, the people would be somewhat ignorant of the methods used. They see or hear of someone torturing another, they intstantly think bad things about them.

However the citizens should also remember the end result.
An example could be, The Crusaders whipped and tortured a Sathonite horribly, they did not agree with this action, but the end result for this is that the Sathonite learned his lesson and keeps his distance from the citizens of that area for the time.

Not sure if the good should negate the bad, looks pretty good the way it is now. Even if you are hated in an area, you can raise it up with some good deeds in a decent amount of time.

Delia
Overlord

#20 Post by Delia » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 am

Its hard to please the silly townsfolk! It took awhile until I noticed a vicious cycle, not sure if it lowers rep, but might...having low rep guards want to check Delia, but being quite fleet-of-foot she always just whizzes past them before they can check her, end result = reputation drops? (atleast my common sense says it should)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra