OOC commands

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Should we change the OOC commands?

Remove them altogether. Roleplay would be much better without them.
18%
Limit the usage to x times per y minutes to prevent public chat-fests.
35%
Don't change them, but add a rule for when and how to use them.
35%
Leave it the way it is.
12%

Total votes: 17

chara
Wizard

#21 Post by chara » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:36 pm

I agree, Alamar, that's a very good point, and one that I hope will really add to the atmosphere of the mud. For example, I was talking to a player who told me that it was critical that he use OOC to say that he hoped that the team wouldn't need long to finish, because he had to bring his car to the dealer in a little while. I told him that it would have been so much more atmospheric to tell his team something like, "Friends, I'll gladly fight with you, but I have an appointment this evening that I have to keep, so it can't take too long." That conveys the same information, but also enhances roleplay. And if he comes up with perhaps a reason for the appointment that evening, that increases the personality of his character, instead of bringing up irrelevant OOC information and foregoing all of the roleplay.

I am really excited about the changes, and I think that they are going to really enhance the gameplay.

Devi
Hero

#22 Post by Devi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:34 pm

I like the new changes. My only complaint is that I cannot "toggle @say off
While I agree that we should try to minimize @say-ing, I also think the command itself absolutely necessary. Sometimes due to emergencies, errant cats, unexpected visits, urgent phone calls, or whatever, there's no time for thinking of an ic explanation, waiting for the acknowledgements and resulting conversation.

As far as syntax goes, going too far out of the way to explain it icly can do more harm than good. How would you explain the skald command "skstatus" for example? "Check your STATUS with the SKalds but make sure to do it backwards."[/quote]

Abharsair
Site Admin

#23 Post by Abharsair » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Devi wrote:...there's no time for thinking of an ic explanation, waiting for the acknowledgements and resulting conversation.

As far as syntax goes, going too far out of the way to explain it icly can do more harm than good. How would you explain the skald command "skstatus" for example? "Check your STATUS with the SKalds but make sure to do it backwards."
The rules cover both cases. A quick "afk" or "I have to quit" is perfectly fine, and so is explaining a syntax. But needless to say that an IC explanation is preferable where applicable. Unfortunately there was the tendency of using @chat or @say out of convenience, because it was a couple seconds faster than using some IC reasoning. As an example, when discussing the new rule a player called it "lame" to ask another player ICly how skilled he was by utilizing the skill descriptions rather than asking OOCly and using the numbers. And that's a trend which we would like to revert.

Sairina
Hero

#24 Post by Sairina » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:08 pm

If @say could be toggled "off", it would be useless for conveying important ooc information (the only thing it's needed for anyway), because a player could never be sure that another got his message. At least, there would have to be a possibility to check another players @say-status as well.

Alamar
Master

#25 Post by Alamar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:04 pm

I meant the toggle @say off as a joke. I'm glad it's on for everyone. Every newbie I ever taught I found out halfway through our talk that he still had @chat off. (Discouraging)

I like the changes a lot. I still have to resist the urge to make an ooc commentary on what I see in the game... that goes for when I am in a good mood or surly mood... but in general I think that people are rping better.

-poAlamar