In-game profanity

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Devi
Hero

In-game profanity

#1 Post by Devi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am

I know Geas is adult-oriented, but I'm wondering -- what are everyone's thoughts on in-game profanity?

Personally, I don't like it. Someone saying "fuck" in-game really doesn't seem to fit in, in my opinion. I also think graphic torture should be consensual.

Are there any official positions on these issues?

Sairina
Hero

#2 Post by Sairina » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

Personally, I don't have any problem with this, as long as it fits the character - an elven lord would not likely use language like this, but a human thief that's been born on the streets might. And if you have a problem with people that use swearwords, you don't need to hang out with them - just as you might do in real life.

vurdijak
Hero

tough one

#3 Post by vurdijak » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:38 pm

For me this is a tough one as the graphic torture especially is hard to stomach for me OOC. But since Geas is a fantasy world with some really messed up characters, my opinion is that both of these should be allowed. Maybe its possible to overuse these things? If so, is it something that should be reported or as Sairina suggested ignored?

Delmon
Champion

#4 Post by Delmon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:23 pm

OOC, I try never to use profanity.

1. I think it is fine if your character gets his/her hand cut off or some other critical that causes serious pain. I mean really, THAT would hurt! And in "real life", I have broken some bones playing soccer, and yes, I felt like swearing.

2. Words written, or last long, such as on the ground, should not contain swear words. It's not nessacary.

For Delmon, I only use words when he should be really angry. Other than that, ridiculous use is like a lousy joke that gets a laugh just because of a swear word.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 pm

I don't like having to walk by frequented places like the crossing and read vulgar writing drawn on the ground, especially when the means of clearing it are removed.

I do think foul language used excessively could be done without. Especially considering how younger people and 'mature' people play the game, I don't think having them listen/read things like "F those Fing Crusaders!" is really a good first impression, since I'm sure I'm not the only one that's turned off by that sort of attitude.

While I can understand some moderate words in certain times, I think some things like the popular "F" word or the offensive "C" (directed towards females) word can be done without.

Yes, maybe ICly it would make sense to use them, but remember how the po on the other side of the screen might feel having to read these sort of words. In the end, this is a game meant to have fun playing, and I don't think that should overrule "realism" in the game.

And it's not always easy to avoid it; it can be written on the ground, or the person you'd prefer avoiding could take you prisoner.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:23 am

I prefer some profanity and violence as it suits the theme, but I'd rather not see any current day swear words or street slang in game, and any profanities uttered should have atleast *some* situational meaning.
With graphic violence people can always ooc say/whisper how far people are willing to go and of course, people can always hint if a choice of words was not really appropriate and offended someone in game. If we play, why not play together?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Vargrahim
Master

#7 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:36 am

Of course this is an RP enforced MUD, so anything you say should be a part of what your character feels/thinks. I think what I dislike most is an elf that goes "Yo foo". RPing (or simply "playing", which should be equivalent) is about adding content to the world. Actions that creates no story/atmosphere and seems to be more a reflection of what the player thinks usually destroy more than it adds. Someone who screams "hell, that hurts, you [insert medieval curse here]" because hes character was actually feeling that way, is (can be) a good thing.

I do not think of Geas as a "family game" so I do not mind someone cursing. However, "fuck" seems to me like a word that does not fit so well, it is modern, I think (at least in the sense of a cursing). "Whore" on the other hand is probably something which has existed for quite a while.

To me, the quality of my play is mostly dependent on how much I reflect before I type something. Many conversations go way too fast to allow creation of some enjoyment.

And I guess I am also guilty of sometimes just blurting out things which does not really belong in the game (like "fuck"). It happens mostly when I am tired. But, I have figured it is better to be silence than to say something "non-fitting".

Alamar
Master

#8 Post by Alamar » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm

In general I agree with Tessa's posts about the use of profanity, but some ic situations demand it. F and C are probably best left aside, but the B word is very colorful and offensive without going overboard, etc.

I have to say that when I hear a friend say "Hey, man" ic, I get far angrier than when an enemy says "you lousy f*ing bastard!" In general language should tend towards archaic diction, but the problem is that when players are angry then they fall back on a small repertoire of short words that express the intensity of their feeling. F C B FU SOB MF CS S AH etc.

Perhaps we should develop our own Geas slang... for curse words, insults, etc. And please, players should quit saying "man" when they address other characters... get out an old 19th century novel and borrow some words out of there... it will add much more color to your character's diction.

-poAlamar

ganandorf
Overlord

#9 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:55 pm

I know what sparked this topic, and just wanted to say without revealing too much OOC, that i apolgoize, it was just for emphasis and ill try not to do it again. Sorry once again
Meow

ganandorf
Overlord

#10 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 pm

also i have a question in terms of written profanity, hypothetically speaking, at the crossing, with curse words like 'F***' is it acceptable at all, for example if whatever or whoever your writing about is someone that your character hates with all his guts, something like that.

this is a general question, and i know profanity could be avoided, but IRL there are many instances like that where i would use profanity even though there are many many other alternatives
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:18 am

I don't think there's any good reason to write especially crude or excessive profanity at populated and frequented places at all. Like torture, though it might be acceptable in the IC world, some players might find it distasteful, and I don't think it should be forced on everyone.

I can see heated discussions with people or perhaps over mails and tells between small groups of people, but it'd be hard to convince me that it's necessary or vital to write especially crude or excessive profanities at the crossing, marketplaces, city boards, or any of that where everyone has to see it.

Drake
Wizard

#12 Post by Drake » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:20 am

Speaking for myself after a quick read, and sadly finding out after the fact of what was written.

Its unacceptable.

This game is played by people under 18, and no matter how much those children may or may not be exposed to such language in real life, using Geas, and its host provider to expose children to such language is not welcome.

Secondly, it simply does not fit in a medieval world setting, at least not in any medieval set world I have ever read, or would care to read for that matter. And to be honest, it takes extremely little effort to actually come up with something that does fit the world Geas is set in.

Yes, it seems it should be mentioned in the rules, and it may well become so. I would however of wished it wasn't actually necessary to make something like that a rule when it should be plainly obvious.
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

Dantari
Beginner

#13 Post by Dantari » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:05 am

gotta agree that the F word is not appropriate at all for fantasy themes.

The F word is kinda like a modern convenient swear words having its origin maybe somewhere from phrase plucking the yew.

I think something like:
"Curse Dantari! You son of a goat!"
might be somewhat closer to the language type of a fantasia setting.

rex
Veteran

#14 Post by rex » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Grandpa's beard!" - Kind of like saying "Wow!" or "Holy shit!" (Kor)
Thats a quote from wiki on a dwarven swear. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
poRex

Alamar
Master

#15 Post by Alamar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes, swearing oaths like "by my beard!" or the ever-popular "by my mighty beard!" would be welcome changes.

Other suggestions:
"Light!"
"Taniel's teeth!"
"Asral's ass!" (maybe ass wouldn't work... but I still think this swear is funny)
"Blood and ashes!"

Just a few examples. We should definitely come up with a lexicon of Forostari (Forostaran, Forostrean?) vocabulary.

delem
Journeyman

#16 Post by delem » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:19 pm

"For the love of Taniel" Instead for the love of god :wink:

And the situation on the curse words, theres one thats coded in the game actually. "finger <person>" And it says you give the person the ef finger or something like that

chara
Wizard

#17 Post by chara » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 am

I would also encourage the use of more creative - and less modern and weighted - language. However, this game is intended for mature audiences, and does contain mature themes. I do believe that mild IC cursing fits some characters and is to be expected. If the language used bothers you, it's a good idea to simply tell the player OOC something like, "Hey, can you tone that language down?" If they continue despite being aware of your OOC preferences, then the Playerarch or the Admin should be contacted.

I also think it's a good idea to keep strong, modern-day cursing out of writing, where it can be stumbled upon by anyone in any situation.

Also, there is evidence that the F word was a curse word as early as the 16th century (look up the word on Wikipedia if you're interested), but it's so heavily laden and offensive today that I think it should fall under the category of "strong, modern cursing."

I think that coming up with new in-game curse words would add a lot of atmosphere to the game - it's really a great idea!

Delia
Overlord

#18 Post by Delia » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Project Swearword sounds good, inventive swearwords are always nice, in RL too. Bit unrelated, but the four propably the most common swearwords used by the Finns roughly translate as...

1. the devil
2. the devil(this is actually bit different, referring to the arch-enemy himself)
3. hell
4. god save me

So what do you make of us as a people?

:P
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

aragog
Professional

#19 Post by aragog » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Well, the Asadrim have already used quite some different words

1. Death and decay over him/her
2. May his/her skin start rotting

And to add a nice reference to the mud happenings:

3. May Crusaders get mad of him/her :twisted:

Actually we try to avoid 'stupid' cursing and profanity as far as possible and I would really like to see others doing that as well :shock:

poAragog
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

nogem
Journeyman

#20 Post by nogem » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 am

Reading Drake's comment makes me suspect I missed some severe abuse of some player by another with regards to this.

In general though, I find the thought of this thread amusing given that there are NPC's who will shout for any neighboring room to hear "HELP! Some sheep fucker is trying to kill us again!"

Creative and appropriate use is clearly part of the game.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.