Some observations from a newcomer... (long)

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Farandole

#41 Post by Farandole » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:22 am

Hi to everyone, as i'm very new, so take my comment as they are.

I don't think automatic features to enter guilds are very good in those power thirsty oriented guilds.

But clearly having to pass tests or getting support of mentors for crafting guilds seam to be very overdone (and is one of the aspect i hate in muds in general). If your char is son of a tanner or is a wandering sells man that make few coins with coca bottles of his very own creation, i really don't see why it should get the consent from anyone to do so. Now if you get to the point where you will dress a Queen, come to the most occult part of alchemy, or open a shop in the market place of Arborea, then i would understand you need some consent from a crafting guild, but in any case the consent should never be direct. If the guild banned that guy just don't sell, or buy from him, cut his supply or whatever make his life a pain, if you support him just make him lower prices... But a "no you can't craft because you're not in the guild" seam just totally unreal. So even if a guild don't want to sell equipments to non member, ok, but there should always be a way out, now the difficulty to get to it is an other thing to discuss.

Documentations is only needed when it come to the straight use of commands, and definitely i feel them missing about them; but having history or descriptions in web pages is something i dislike a lot, that should be almost exclusively in game or be very evasive. It is much better you experience politics or other aspect in game, and the ways to change your 'failures' due to inexperience in game.

chara
Wizard

#42 Post by chara » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:30 am

Lyrael wrote:
Also, this line at the end of that quote from your response to Vurdijak...
I find it hard to see any point in this at all.
...is what inspired most of the first two paragraphs of my response.
This is referring to the whole 6 month drama, which is an isolated case which cannot be discussed on this board. It's pointless to have a lot of people saying, wow, six months is a long time to wait, when everyone agrees on that. However, I don't see any point to making a rule about it because it is an isolated incident that cannot be discussed on this board. So we all agree it's a long time, but I know there's more to it, and unfortunately, I can't share the details with the general public, and going on and on about it only detracts from more important and relevant points.[/quote]
Lyrael wrote:I will refrain from posting any thoughts or opinions in the future. And again, my apologies that my post made you feel the necessity to take such an angry and defensive posture. That wasn't the intent. I come from some other discussion forums where we all welcome challenging each other's thinking and viewpoints on game development and implementation and I confess, I probably brought some of that attitude with me. (Re: my bluntness and style of posting)
Any views and outlooks on the game are appreciated. Personal attacks aren't. Please continue to participate, without lashing out at others who disagree with you.

isengoo
Champion

#43 Post by isengoo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:08 pm

Can I just say that the proposed system sounds great, except that in some of those guilds (cough Asrals cough) most if not all of the people who can accept new members are AFK 100% of the time, and have been for months. I would really love there to be an automatic demote system after a certain period of AFK, so the active player base can actually reap the benefits of the guild.

Delmon
Champion

#44 Post by Delmon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:55 pm

I would really love there to be an automatic demote system after a certain period of AFK, so the active player base can actually reap the benefits of the guild.
That really is a good idea, and I agree. Any organization that lacks an active leadership falls apart or becomes stagnant; or is otherwise, worse off.

Delia
Overlord

#45 Post by Delia » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:07 am

I would really love there to be an automatic demote system after a certain period of AFK, so the active player base can actually reap the benefits of the guild.
I like this too. The next active player in line could be promoted or something then, if no masters are around.
Guild people could write a line about their own guild.
True, I could and should get into writing something about the Shao-Lin and the Scribes. Could propably do the bookbinders and parchmentmakers also, of course if anyone feels they have a killer story or something, go ahead. These four are just part of Geas I know well. Any people associated with the destruction of the legion could write something about the event too? I mean, atleast one drunken villager must have witnessed something...
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

isengoo
Champion

#46 Post by isengoo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:43 am

Delia wrote:
I like this too. The next active player in line could be promoted or something then, if no masters are around.
I'm wary about automatic promotion within a player run guild, my idea was more about opening up the limited slots that exist in the higher rungs of the guild ladder so the people in the lower levels have a chance to get there.

Currently, with the Asrals, we have a guild leader that has quit the game entirely, all of our next highest rung people (the ones that can invite + promote) are entirely AFK sans one (poMazar, Jesus bless him forever and ever), and the number of those people is limited by code I believe. So, basically, all those AFK people are just eating space for no reason, probably unawares, which is really killing the guild imo.

I would love it if either a wizard fixed this, or there was an automatic demote system and then someone active was named guild leader/a wizard did it for a while or something, to get the guild going again, because right now it's just dead.