IN regards too the new reputation system

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Itenin
Journeyman

#21 Post by Itenin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Right now this new "not allowing in the cities" really makes me confused as to what I should do with the character. Because frankly, Delmon's not an assassin or murderer. He doesn't do illegal stuff. He just uses means to an end...
Justifying any means by the ends really is a fringe philosophy and you should expect the townsfolk to treat you accordingly. The Crusaders already (for the most part) do that, and you should know from experience that they are widely disliked and often in trouble with the law because of it. You really should expect no less.

To give you an admittedly poor modern day metaphor, think of it as you garroting notorious members of the mob or performing drive-bys on violent gangs. Sure, your first time around people might look the other way, but eventually you're just going to become part of the problem in their mind. Its the same thing with backstabbing. You may choose to only backstab those generally associated with having dubious characters, but soon enough you'll just be another assassin/thief in the public eye.

Vargrahim
Master

#22 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Delmon wrote:Right now this new "not allowing in the cities" really makes me confused as to what I should do with the character. Because frankly, Delmon's not an assassin or murderer. He doesn't do illegal stuff. He just uses means to an end...
What you do will come back at you. I mean seriously. If you play a backstabber, then act like one. Roleplay a cowardly ass, in other words. Don't be surprised townsfolk like to throw you out. And like Itenin says, there's plenty of people who gets your share of problems.. multiplied.. and are forced to continue doing it. You aren't. You can't play some kind of mini-maxing game where you get all the benefits without the disadvantages.

Delmon
Champion

#23 Post by Delmon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 pm

You can't play some kind of mini-maxing game where you get all the benefits without the disadvantages...Roleplay a cowardly ass
Lol. Thanks Vargrahim for your opinion. (yes, I mis quoted you)
What you do will come back at you.
That's obvious. My whole deal is about what and how much comes back, not that it happens...
Its the same thing with backstabbing. You may choose to only backstab those generally associated with having dubious characters, but soon enough you'll just be another assassin/thief in the public eye
Thanks Itenin. That makes more sense. Sorry for my complaining.

tessa
Overlord

#24 Post by tessa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Right now this new "not allowing in the cities" really makes me confused as to what I should do with the character.
Stopping backstabbing would help.
Because frankly, Delmon's not an assassin or murderer.
Then he shouldn't use assassin or murderer skills.

It's really not that hard to do. If you want to use backstab, be ready to be treated like everyone else who uses backstab. If you don't want to be treated like everyone who uses backstab, then don't use it.

Tessa used to rely on backstab all the time too. She used to be a Lurker, after all. And she's not a very strong fighter, so no longer using such a powerful move makes her very vulnerable in fights now. But with the addition of reputation, she's stopped using it. She's supposed to be a good and lawful character (mostly), and using backstab conflicts with that since it puts her in a bad image, so she stopped. It's the consequence of consistent RP.

ganandorf
Overlord

#25 Post by ganandorf » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

quick question why is it that backstabbing (im guessing using it anywhere not just arborean land), lowers your reputation by alot in arborea, but killing someone on land that is not arborean for example in the tundra. or anywhere else, wont make the murderer get a bad rep in arborea, even if the person he killed had a decently good rep in aborea.
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#26 Post by tessa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 am

As far as I know, backstabbing would only lower reputation in Arborea, if it's done on Arborean land. I don't think backstabbing is any different from other reputation-hurting things.

Delia
Overlord

#27 Post by Delia » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:37 am

One can always use backstabs to a degree, be good at it and have a neutral to decent reputation. It just requires quite much donating and hanging around good guys, but as the main way of increasing reputation comes from donating mountains of gold to a single beggar, it begs the question...what do you usually do to increase your reputation? Should there be more ways(obvious ways, that is), like rep-quests or something?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Vargrahim
Master

#28 Post by Vargrahim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:00 am

Delia wrote:Should there be more ways(obvious ways, that is), like rep-quests or something?
I personally think it should be hard to collect up to good reputation. If it is too easy, one could backstab alot, then just do a quest and all is good again.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#29 Post by Abharsair » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:26 am

For one thing, extreme reputation always tends to go towards neutral. So if you do nothing for a long period of time, you'll get from "scum of the earth" to "haven't heard anything about him recently" automatically. However, that obviously doesn't work if you still insist on using thief tactics, and it does take a very long time.

Secondly, there are various ways of affecting reputation positively, some of which are described in "help reputation", and those don't even require you to be able to get into a city.

Thirdly, as Vargrahim said it already, it wouldn't make sense if you could improve your reputation too quickly, because then people could do whatever they wanted and then just buy themselves back into good reputation. It's already pretty easy to get and maintain a good reputation if you put a little bit of time and effort into it.

Lastly, one backstab doesn't make you hated within a city. Not even two or three. It's if you do it so often that even an assassin would get jealous when you get into trouble. And then it's understandable if people think you are lowly, evil scum who uses underhand and deceitful criminal methods. And then it's the duty of the guards to kick your ass right out of a city, and if the other players don't roleplay it accordingly, then it's not the AI's fault.

chara
Wizard

#30 Post by chara » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:26 am

ganandorf wrote:quick question why is it that backstabbing (im guessing using it anywhere not just arborean land), lowers your reputation by alot in arborea, but killing someone on land that is not arborean for example in the tundra. or anywhere else, wont make the murderer get a bad rep in arborea, even if the person he killed had a decently good rep in aborea.
Every area has its own reputation system. The same things that lower your reputation in Arborea could improve it in, say, Asador.

isengoo
Champion

#31 Post by isengoo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:43 am

I would love to see some repeatable quests which could raise reputation in an area, maybe only doable once an ooc day or something like that. Something simple like helping an old lady across the street or gathering some wood for a potter's kiln.

Something a little more involved than giving gold to a beggar.

izydor

#32 Post by izydor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:11 am

Hi there! so you are talking about backstabbing and reputation and noone invited me? who are the evil people here? LoL
Right now this new "not allowing in the cities" really makes me confused as to what I should do with the character.
I used to be a lurker, a group of criminals who rob, ambush, lie, and always work in their own benefit. Right now, with reputation system, Izydor can not do businness or atleast, it's quite hard. I'm attacked in arborea, it's a suicide enter elvandar, naarved shops are poor and ironhold closed. The only place where i can make some profit is at the underground (dont go there too often please xD)... oh, and Asador, but ssshhhh ;). I can not walk around. I need move whatever i want to go sneaking! but i like this system cause your char is what you play!.

The backstab is our best choise for a battle. It's a nasty and coward hit done from the shadows looking for a chance to do lot of damage. I think that should decrease your reputation at the 'evil' side too.- Dont trust in that man, he used to cook people. *cackle*

To finish, as many people said, dont use sneaky abilities to survive and earn your life as most of the people. If you need money, look a honest way to get it, if you need help defeating a foe, dont sneak behind his back, ask for an extra hand to take a face to face combat. But if you like that rolplay, carry with the consequenses, specially if a member of the _family_ see you doing it! *wink*

Keep in touch.
Chief Cook

Vargrahim
Master

#33 Post by Vargrahim » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:26 am

"meep meep" ;)
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

ganandorf
Overlord

#34 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Another question: why is it that my karma is as bad as it could get, according to preists pitch black (liek you didnt know that already). and when i ask volog about myself im a person trying to do the right thing. when i ask a priest im insulting them being in their presence

shouldnt those two maybe be relatively close? if donating to beggars is what brings up karma????!?!?!?? :?:
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#35 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Not necessarily. The god's opinions (karma) can differ from the mortal's opinons (rep). For instance, you can donate to beggars, and Asral might not care. You could kill undeads, and the people of Arborea might not care.

Also, if you start neutral in the city, and damned with the gods, then even if donating to beggars raises both, your city reputation would be significantly higher than your karma.

ganandorf
Overlord

#36 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:54 pm

oh
Meow