IN regards too the new reputation system

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

IN regards too the new reputation system

#1 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:09 am

The way i understand it if for example volog says you are the kind of guy that would stab him in an alley, or looknig at you makes him want to peel the skin off his bones, the guards themselves at the city gates will block you access into the city.
What happens if for example you are banished or outlawed, from experience i thought that would give a person the worst reputation they can get, after the banishemnt or outlawing has been removed, and also after being an offender is it not the same thing, or in these incidents (after your outlaw/ban/offender has been removed) does your reputation default to "can't say ive heard either good or bad things about this person". ?
Meow

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: IN regards too the new reputation system

#2 Post by Abharsair » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:01 am

ganandorf wrote:What happens if for example you are banished or outlawed, from experience i thought that would give a person the worst reputation they can get...
That's not quite accurate. Yes, your reputation drops a lot, but if you had a quite good reputation to begin with, you won't end up with a reputation which would make the guards prevent you from entering. That should be an additional motivation to have a better than average reputation in the cities which you want to visit in the future.
ganandorf wrote:... after the banishemnt or outlawing has been removed, and also after being an offender is it not the same thing, or in these incidents (after your outlaw/ban/offender has been removed) does your reputation default to "can't say ive heard either good or bad things about this person". ?
No, it doesn't. But not being able to enter a city doesn't mean you can't improve your reputation there. Maybe it's more difficult, but it's doable.

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:23 pm

okay, that makes sense thanks.
Meow

Devi
Hero

#4 Post by Devi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:18 pm

Do people forget reputation over time?

Like... given a long enough time, will reputation naturally return to neutral?

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Devi wrote:Do people forget reputation over time?

Like... given a long enough time, will reputation naturally return to neutral?
Of course. Even if you are offline, but then at a much slower pace.

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:35 pm

What can you do to raise reputation if you are not allowed in... is it just NOT doing bad stuff or can you actively raise it somehow?

Like the comments though :P

The middle-aged strong male human growls at you.
The middle-aged strong male human yells in Common: We do not want scum
like you in our town!
The middle-aged strong male human yells in Common: Leave and never come
back!

[/quote]

Delmon
Champion

#7 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:33 pm

I've been recently wondering why all of a sudden my reputation is sinking constantly, so I pretty much figured it was backstabbing ogre, bugbears, orcs, goblins, ect.

Obviously backstabbing lowers reputation. Maby this is a stupid question but why does it lower reputation? What's the difference between running in on a foe and killing them or sneaking up behind them? Why should that make you scum rather than just a dishonorable fighter? Maby they could spit on the ground and grumble about dishonest and cheap fighting? Just a thought.

With the new "not letting you in town", it's frustrating because it seems unrealistic. I don't consider Delmon scum, and I don't know why Arborea does either. PC's constantly ask why I'm considered scum or not let in or other ways and when I say I backstab, few people rp that Delmon's a terrible elf because of it.

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Also, I don't think reputation should make a difference as to whether you are let in or not. Let that be the law's choice. Offenders should not be allowed in. There's tons of bad people living in cities. I don't see why geas towns should be any different, and why guards have that power to block citizens.

edit: I'm sorry for all the posts and I know changing it to what it's like now was a lot of coding work. I just really think it should be changed back or made differently.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#9 Post by Abharsair » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Delmon wrote:Maby this is a stupid question but why does it lower reputation?
According to the Free Online Dictionary:

back·stab
"To attack (someone) unfairly, especially in an underhand, deceitful manner"

The backstab in Geas is pretty much that: an unfair, underhand and deceitful attack. Especially popular among thieves and assassins. And if you are seen doing such an unfair an deceitful attack, then there will be rumors that you might be one of those thieves or assassins. And therefore your reputation will suffer.
Delmon wrote:Also, I don't think reputation should make a difference as to whether you are let in or not.
Naturally I disagree. Bad reputation must have its consequences, and if those consequences don't hurt, then they will be ignored. This way it's an incentive not to piss off the NPC population of a city.

Delmon
Champion

#10 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Naturally I disagree. Bad reputation must have its consequences, and if those consequences don't hurt, then they will be ignored. This way it's an incentive not to piss off the NPC population of a city.
It seems like there's no difference between bad reputation and murdering someone, city wise. You're still going to be banned.

Again, I'll ask, why should backstabbing make you scum rather than just a dishonorable fighter that'slooked down on in a city?
Last edited by Delmon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Backstabbing is a tactic of thieves and assassins, just the same as stealing, pickpocketing, mugging, etc. If you used it excessively, the common person will assume you're in association with these people, or, if you use one tactic, why wouldn't you use the others (like stealing)? I don't think it's unexpected if these people no longer wanted to let you in their city.

If you don't want to be thought of as a thief or an assassin, then simply don't use their tactics. And even if a few PCs don't feel backstabbing or stealing is a bad thing, that doesn't mean the common person agrees with them.

Delmon
Champion

#12 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 pm

I don't think it's unexpected if these people no longer wanted to let you in their city.
"These people" are guards. They are suppose to uphold the law and protect against people that aren't. Why not make bad reputation illegal?

tessa
Overlord

#13 Post by tessa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:08 am

They are suppose to uphold the law and protect against people that aren't.
So if everyone in the town tells you this person is a thieving murderous bastard, what does that tell you?

ganandorf
Overlord

#14 Post by ganandorf » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:26 am

that person is not a murderous thieving bastard?
Meow

Vargrahim
Master

#15 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:03 am

Backstabbing is a very lowly tactic. It is a stab in the back, literally. Essentially a coward's act.. I do not understand why this would not lower your reputation. And I certainly wouldn't let a backstabber into my city, if I had one :) I think the guards are pretty free to judge people, with or without orders.. but probably even more so their duty not to let suspicious people in.

Vargrahim
Master

#16 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:10 am

And..

dishonorable fighter = scum

really.

Drake
Wizard

#17 Post by Drake » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:00 am

Delmon wrote:PC's constantly ask why I'm considered scum or not let in or other ways and when I say I backstab, few people rp that Delmon's a terrible elf because of it.
Frankly that depresses and de-motivates me, the various wizards of this mud, myself included, have over the years have put in immense hours of their own free time to create the world we all come here to roleplay in.

When people choose not to roleplay in that world and simply ignore all the prompts and guides setup to show them what the place they are in is like, it is simply pathetic and sad.

Drake
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

chara
Wizard

#18 Post by chara » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 am

The guards' job is to keep the people in the city safe. That's why they're called guards and all. They don't keep out anyone who's a little bit sketchy, but people who have a terrible reputation as an assassin/murderer would certainly not be welcome. That is logical, realistic, and sensible enough that I have difficulty understanding why you would have any objection to it whatsoever, other than it being an annoyance for your char.

Naga
Hero

#19 Post by Naga » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am

I myself love the new reputation system. It makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable to be around characters, if even just backstabbers, because I worked hard for good reputation, and by being seen in public with them, I ruin that. Even if as a player I need this motivation, it does make my character hesitant to be around anyone of ill repute.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:30 am

Frankly that depresses and de-motivates me, the various wizards of this mud, myself included, have over the years have put in immense hours of their own free time to create the world we all come here to roleplay in
That statement's depressing... :(

Right now this new "not allowing in the cities" really makes me confused as to what I should do with the character. Because frankly, Delmon's not an assassin or murderer. He doesn't do illegal stuff. He just uses means to an end...

I guess I could just pay the beggars more once I'm allowed back in...