guards and being outlawed

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

guards and being outlawed

#1 Post by ganandorf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:29 pm

You swing your right fist at the bald slender male elf's neck, but he
dodges your attack.
The long-legged menacing male elf guards the southwest exit.
The pointy-eared solemn male elf guards the southeast exit.
The bald slender male elf guards the north exit.
The bald slender male elf drops into a crouch then swings his leg
around in a dangerous arc and hits you and bruises your left foot
severely.
Not so quick.
Wait a bit.
>The bald slender male elf tells you in Common: Leave or die!
The pointy-eared solemn male elf tells you in Quenya: Leave or
die!
anyway this crap can be changed. i got like 5 deaths attributed to it now. and whenever i am crossing i do look around and see if they are around. but it sucks when you move into the room south of them, they move right away from north to south and you got no damn chance.

sorry but i died again. bit upset
Meow

Vargrahim
Master

#2 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:48 pm

Let's speak a bit about that kind of RP..

If you die from the same person twice (actually, once is enough) and you _know_ this person will attack you when he sees you.. then why do you even take the risk of visiting that place? Regardless of how central that place is, your character should stay away from unless he not fears death... which is simply lame.

And if you think you really could enter the place if you are just careful enough, then hey, after 5 times you should realize it is obviously not working.

Treat each life as if it was the only one you had.
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:50 pm

okay, explain to me then
how do i get from arborea to the amward without crossing the crossing
how do i get form the amward to my locker without crossing any part of the road

yeah thats what ill do ill turn ganon into a hermit. he can chill in the amward forever and ever

edit: sorry im not trying to be rude or anything, just stating a fact,
Meow

Itenin
Journeyman

#4 Post by Itenin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:05 pm

You can always take the boats, but that'll be more than slightly annoying. I have to say I agree with you Ganon, but that may be your price to pay.

I also find it ironic that the guards tell you to leave or die after blocking all exits.
Last edited by Itenin on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vargrahim
Master

#5 Post by Vargrahim » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:12 pm

ganandorf wrote:okay, explain to me then
how do i get from arborea to the amward without crossing the crossing
Don't.
ganandorf wrote: how do i get form the amward to my locker without crossing any part of the road
Don't.
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

rex
Veteran

#6 Post by rex » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Vargahim's reply is quite rude and ignorant. Perhaps you can contact the judge and inform them of all the times you've died and inform them you've changed (if you have). Doing nothing and complaining OOCly about it won't get you anywhere. You'll need to act ICly and hopefully things will work out for you.

poRex

tarlon
Veteran

#7 Post by tarlon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:01 pm

try to pass the crossing fast enough so they won`t manage to attack you, most npc have a small delay while attacking you

Abharsair
Site Admin

#8 Post by Abharsair » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:05 pm

First at all, dying five times in a row sucks. I can understand that it may cause frustration. But now that this has been said: You can easily prevent that from happening again.

1) Look into the crossing before you enter and don't wait there.
- Chances are extremely slim the elves walk in on you in the fraction of a second it takes to pass it.

2) Take a boat to get around the crossing.
- Maybe slow, but safe.

3) Ask the judge to pardon you.
- Might cost you money, but if you can't walk the walk, don't violate the law.

As poRex already said it, treat it IC and solve it IC. It can be easily done if you put some effort into it. Hell, even Jezz would be forgiven by just about everyone if he would try hard enough (and would actually want it).

ganandorf
Overlord

#9 Post by ganandorf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm

k ill do as suggested and try to deal with this IC.

just thought id also mention when going on any road that the patrol crosses. i do look but there is the odd chance that as soon as i walk in, they walk in, at which point it become a bit difficult, and how the first move they always pull is a tackle or a sweep i fall instantly. meaning on the ground getting pummeled.

what im asking is if possible to have them maybe block SOME exits, ask you to leave, and then kill you, instead of kill you then ask your corpse to leave :P
Meow

Vargrahim
Master

#10 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am

I'm sorry if I sounded rude and ignorant.. but the point is that you died 5 times to the same person and if you want to play a character with fears, which I hope you do, it would make sense to defend yourself. If being really careful when you cross that road does not work the fifth time either, then it makes sense to avoid the area (e.g. use a boat, avoid it completely or use "watch" and be sure they pass before you go).

ganandorf
Overlord

#11 Post by ganandorf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:10 am

i didnt think you were _that_ rude ;)

but its a bit harder than it sounds. next time you play, think about every single time you pass by the road to elvandar. imagine having to avoid every single juncture ;) its hard only sneaky elves can do it not the stupid ones like ganon

edit: it doesnt help either that right after you get attacked by them a crusader walks by and pokes you with his lance till you die ;) hehe
Meow

Vargrahim
Master

#12 Post by Vargrahim » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:18 am

Hehe.. There are already quite some areas Varg already avoids, not something central as the crossing, but most parts of the world he never visits.. from fear of getting killed. Even some quite "neutral" areas which most likely most neutral people can enjoy without thinking about it. He gets daily threats from different people (how I enjoy this :)), has many enemies, personal vendettas etc.. and it somehow affected his fear gradually. However, the technique was so far successful because he hasn't died to a player in a long time.. ;)

Ps. And it does make sense that the NPCs shouldn't block the exits and ask you to leave. Perhaps it is some kind of morbid humour, though. You can never really know about those elves..
Last edited by Vargrahim on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ganandorf
Overlord

#13 Post by ganandorf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 am

hehe. good strat
only 3 of my deaths are attributed to players (Vurgenthal, Wargrahim, and Lord Redentes :D:lol: (edit: atleast you made it interesting 2/3 times, unlike the patrol))
everyone else is stupidity (eg. running into the damn patrol)
but there is a point when things do become frustrating with the patrol

ie. block all exits then challenge you too _TRY_ to escape (still find that funny)
Meow

aragog
Professional

#14 Post by aragog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:19 am

Hmmm. I agree that this situation is most frustating, but I also must say, that 'outlawing' has become VERY popular especially at Elvandar. In some cases (in my opinion) with very weak reasons which mostly sound like 'i dont like that person, so i'll outlaw it' to me.

The Patrol says: Leave or Die! - Well, that means in my opinion that one should get the possibility to leave at all. Maybe the attack could be delayed for 3 or 5 seconds perhaps, so the one to be attacked has a CHANCE to leave at all?

poAragog
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

ganandorf
Overlord

#15 Post by ganandorf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:22 am

Well in my case i was outlawed for a good reason of course :twisted: :evil: :x :P :lol:
about the patrolling i think they shouldnt attack in 3 - 5 seconds, maybe 10-15 seconds at minimum, sometimes its hard to find available exits in a room with 4 exits and the patrol blocks 3,
especially for me
Meow

anglachel
Site Admin

#16 Post by anglachel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:34 am

I agree to be killed five times is hard.
But i know two routes to get from Arborea to Amward without enter the crossing or the road to Elvandar. Second an exit block in a outside room is not absolut, there is a chance to escape.
I do not know why they are so angry, that they attack on sight. I would to suggest to find a way that they give you pardon.

tessa
Overlord

#17 Post by tessa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:01 am

aragog wrote:I also must say, that 'outlawing' has become VERY popular especially at Elvandar. In some cases (in my opinion) with very weak reasons which mostly sound like 'i dont like that person, so i'll outlaw it' to me.
I don't really think that kind of comment is appreciated. Especially considering I'm sure several people could say the same about the quality of reasoning behind some actions and decisions of particular satho players.
but its a bit harder than it sounds. next time you play, think about every single time you pass by the road to elvandar. imagine having to avoid every single juncture its hard only sneaky elves can do it not the stupid ones like ganon
Not necessarily. Remember they were out for Tessa's blood for a time recently, and were before in the past, too. For me, they've never been hard to avoid, and I've never tried to sneak past them, either. As said before here, there are ships you can take to bypass the patrol, and there are several off-road areas in the forest to take to avoid them. If you have to use the crossing, you can try scouting or tracking to find their location. Or ask someone to check on them for you. Or, though it's long, you can watch the crossing and go by once they do their rounds there.

Lastly, you can always try talking to the judge, too, to repeal your outlawship. Unless you're on their murderer list, then you're out of luck until new killers come along.

If you run into them despite all these precautions, then I have to say you just have really bad luck.

ganandorf
Overlord

#18 Post by ganandorf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:19 am

I don't really think that kind of comment is appreciated. Especially considering I'm sure several people could say the same about the quality of reasoning behind some actions and decisions of particular satho players.
Not Trying to be rude or anything poTessa but i have to completely disagree with you there.
I play both a good and semi-evil character and imho. the sathonite players are much more remorceful than the taniels. for example been killed 3 times by vurg (sorry to pick on you). once was a legitimate kill, 2nd time was accidental, 3rd time i could tell he just plain enjoyed it.
ON ganon i straight up betrayed the sathonites, knew their inner secrets everything, i left them in the ditch for without me they are nothing ;). they never killed me once
and even playing an absolute goodie they didnt kill me unless i sparked combat. ;)
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#19 Post by tessa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:19 am

This really isn't something that should be discussed on the forums. I'd advise dropping it now before it gets worse.

edit: This isn't directed at Ganon, but just everyone. I don't think a public forum is the right place to discuss if you think particular players play reasonably and fair or not, and I think it might be better to stay on the main topic than drift to one that might result in arguments and bitter feelings.
Last edited by tessa on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ganandorf
Overlord

#20 Post by ganandorf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:26 am

Meow