Human "race guild"

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Human "race guild"

#1 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:12 am

Ive recently spoken with Chara about the creation of a human "race guild".
whether anyone has cared to notice the "race" guild type has been until the possible things to join among the occupational, layman etc.

I was just seeing if anyone had any ideas to help along with my planning. or anything they would like to see including in such a guild also what they would be involved in. obviously you can't have a race guild thats as involved as an occupational guild (ie shaolin, crusaders, rangers) otherwise they would conflict with eachother. so here in lies my stopping block. what WOULD a guild like this entail?

now i realize that maybe this either one doesn't belong here, or two i should just make up an idea and pitch it to abharsair (yes drake i read your note about new ideas) but i just can't think of any new ideas. and was wondering if anyone on the board had any.

tessa
Overlord

#2 Post by tessa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:49 am

Actually I'm not sure how important of a role racial guilds might play in GEAS. Would they be small, like craftmans or layman guilds? Or more important, like occupational guilds?

GEAS seems to be pretty intermingling, almost a bit much (not as if it's a bad thing), for racial guilds to actually work out. Not to mention, I think most races tend to flock together in the main/side guilds anyway.

One idea for racial guilds that I remember involved the main cities, such as Arborea, Elvandar, and the Underground. Racial guilds could be involved in maintaining/supporting/defending/etc. their respected city or culture. This would work great for humans, elves, and dwarves, but might hurt for halflings, half-elves, and tshaharks (perhaps halflings could have a trading embassy of sorts to see how well they can buy/sell on the market, and tshaharks could have a warriors guild to see who crunches the most things *shrug*).

If the wizards would still like to see racial guilds in the game, I'd encourage everyone to try to think of ideas for other races, as well as humans. But, for the sake of not derailing this thread, it might be nice to make a new one for different ideas.

chara
Wizard

#3 Post by chara » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 am

I do like the idea of race guilds in general. I have a possible idea for an elf race guild, but it's not developed enough yet to really start chatting about it.

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm

unless i misunderstand tessa your saying for example, a human race guild would be centered in areborea and act as a sort of "guard" to help the actual city guard. then applying this same template to elvandar....you eliminate the need for crusader protection in elvandar...cause they would have the cuty guard as wlel as this new elf race guild....interesting. this is sorta what i had in mind but my fear is that if someone wants to join this race guild that it would mis too much with the occupational guilds they are involved in. for example. lumi is a shaolin im sure everyone pretty much knows, his duties in the race guild of arborea might conflict with the interests of the shaolin. how would this work out?

this is why i think tessa raises and excellent point on the topic of intermingling guilds etc. and sort of what i was trying to get at in my first post in my own contrived way of writing.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Well, the difference between an Arborean human racial guild, and Crusaders, would be that the Arborean guild would be devoted to Arborea, first and foremost, and always. Crusaders, on the other hand, are a bit more broad, devoted to the good and honest people of all of Forostar, and not necessarily devoted to Arborea as an establishment, if it decided to take more chaotic or questionable economics or whatever, for lack of better words.

For example, if Arborea became Asador II, the Crusaders might still extend a helping hand to those that wish to lead lawful and honest lives, but wouldn't feel quite as bad if the city itself crumbled apart under its chaotic reign. Whereas, the Arborean guild would remain loyal to the city, regardless (though possibly suffering a lack of filled ranks or loyal members, but that's another story).

...and after writing all of that, I noticed you mentioned Elvandar, not Arborea. Oops.

Well, the example still kind of applies. A cityguard would be devoted to that city only, regardless of its political/moral/etc. status, whereas Crusaders are devoted to good/lawful people, where ever they may inhabit. This can include majority of people in cities such as Elvandar, but not necessarily extended to every last citizen, whereas for a cityguard, it would be.

At least that's the theoretical perception, from my views. How it would actually work in game (or how accurate my rant is) might be different.

Final notes though, such guilds might become as influencial as occupational guilds, under the right circumstances. And possibly not be very compatible with all occupational guilds (for clashing interests), and kind of unfair for places like Asador, which have human populations as well, but with only Arborea getting the racial guild (unless darkelves get Asador or something :P).

That might be a fun concept for the mud, but probably very straining with current player numbers, considering most main guilds currently are lucky to have 2-3 active members at any one time.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:28 am

Alright well i guess the main idea i have for this guild is to eliminate the need for outside presences in arborea, such as the crusaders or even the asrals. then again the asrals do have a larger reason as there temple exists within the city, although to my knowledge some help could be used.

now if it is decided that this is what this race guild in arborea is all about then....my next problem would be...who would join? many decently powerful humans that would be required for this group are already involved in occupational guilds. names like...andy, lumi, arthur come to mind but....in my role play experience only andy and lumi have any real tie to arborea. (sorry i am really at a loss for other strong humans....maybe b/c there are actually not that many....) and then this slams back to the problem of player base. and then time to allow these players to become stronger...

right now a guild such as this would seem to have little or no support and having lumi running around as the sole member of this guild looks extremely silly to me. and this raises another question protection of arborea would generally entail mean possibly going against shaolin rules.

so ill guess ill just plan this for now shove it off to the side and present it when i feel it's perfected and have some nice ideas and when there is a larger human playerbase that would actually make this guild successful.

(sorry i tend to jump around alot when i think and type, i apologize if it's a hard read)

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:53 am

luminier wrote:then again the asrals do have a larger reason as there temple exists within the city
No it doesn't. Their temple exists outside of a city and independent from any city now. Emphasis on a temple and center of religion, to a small dinky shrine that holds little territorial value (not far different from the territorial value of the chapel near amward).
so ill guess ill just plan this for now shove it off to the side and present it when i feel it's perfected and have some nice ideas and when there is a larger human playerbase that would actually make this guild successful.
Just because an Arborean guard guild isn't the best idea, doesn't mean you have to ditch it. No one said the human racial guild has to be that, right? I'd suggest not giving up and looking towards different ideas. After all, this thread is about brainspawning ideas for it, right? So idea 1 might not work, we can look for more ideas.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:19 am

well im honestly not giving up now i wanted to just discreetly gather ideas and work on things on the side here and there. maybe while i do that more people would make humans :) but any how....i don't think the city guard WOULDN"T work i think it's an awesome idea. every city should have players actively involved in defence of their home city, to me it just makes sense.

about the asral temple ya i guess i am out of the loop :P i don't really pay attention to many things unfortunately.

but yes i understand and i DID make this topic to brain storm ideas. i jsut want to make it clear that i am certainly not throwing this idea aside, b/c that would show little commitment. 8) and i have much commitment i like to think.

but indeed other ideas would be appriaciated. but it seems to me alot of them are taken....singing...trapping/hunting....gem cutting....book making....come on brain there has to be more jobs in medieval times!

anglachel
Site Admin

#9 Post by anglachel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:53 am

A 'human race' guild does not need to be located in Arborea, it can be anythere. But it is logical that such a guild have there guildhouse at a place there many humans live. So Arbora would be good place for it, like Elvandar would be goold place for 'elf race' guild.
Such guild is not conntected to a town or an area it is connected to the race!
A race guild should im my oppion at the same level like a craftsman guild.
Such guild should accent the characteristics of this race, but should no replacement or parallel organisatio to a layman or craftsman guild.
That makes it a bit diffcult to craete arace guild.
As example a 'miner guild' would fit to the dwarfs, but such guild would be better created as craftsman guild.

amrat
Apprentice

Human "race" guild. Only houses/bloodlines.

#10 Post by amrat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:24 am

I can't think of anything besides (noble/warrior) houses/bloodlines that can be justified as "race" guilds. Otherwise you are stuck with OOC-restrictions that make no sense IC.

Joining/leaving these in a reasonable way is a separate matter.

@Amrat

chara
Wizard

#11 Post by chara » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:43 am

There is no reason why an elf race guild would have to mimic a human race guild, or vice versa.

I'd say that the race guilds would have a strong roleplay aspect. I played another mud where mining was a dwarf race guild, and I hated it. There was no good reason why other races shouldn't be able to mine, with greater or lesser effect.

Therefore, I'd use race guilds mostly to strengthen roleplay. A city guard idea would be a good example of this, but certainly not the only one.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#12 Post by Kaseo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 pm

Would like.. noble families possibly be a race guild? You could RP a noble and actually have a House that you belong to that people would know about, but I'm not sure you could really consider it a "race" guild, albeit normally when I think of a noble house it would be a line of "purebloods" of the race and it would be disgraceful for them to be too.. friendly.. with other races. They would probably be shunned from the family for such behaviour.

I think amrat might've been getting at this idea with "(noble/warrior) houses/bloodlines", but I could just be misinterpretting.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 pm

while the idea of this noble house thing is a good idea it kind of limits people who are already in the game and have made their character roleplay a certain way. it would be hard for a char like lumi to suddenly call himself noble without raising some flags. maybe im jsut over thikning it iunno.

Naga
Hero

#14 Post by Naga » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 pm

If my understanding is correct, there is no elf currently that does not claim to be from some noble house, and, of these, the great majority are title-holders.

amrat
Apprentice

#15 Post by amrat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:14 am

The title of the thread is 'human "race guild"', I mention the word 'noble' and suddenly we are talking about elves?

Sorry, my bad.

What I meant is that the only kind of guild that I can think of where the IC-restriction of race makes sense is the kind that is about the race, the background and the heritage. There is no reason why "The Jolly Arborea Guard" would not accept other races, but "The Knightly Order of the Clichée" can limit their members to pureblooded descendats of Igor Eveningmoon (thus, humans).

@Amrat

Delmon
Champion

#16 Post by Delmon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:09 pm

I like the idea, but as Luminier alluded to before, these guilds may contain internal conflicts. Due to these conflicts of interest, there could be no alliance between the members. What would be their point of existance?

Delia
Overlord

#17 Post by Delia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:15 am

I think none of the cityguards should be made into race-guilds, as such institutions can be easily made by players, custom gear forged, even a base of operations built and so on. The fledgling Dragonguard was a good try, and there is a player-run cityguard for Elvandar(?). Not to mention the Arborea garrison into which just about every newbie sign into, what I can remember.

But what would make for a good race guild...for the time being I have no idea. With almost every half-baked idea I come up with it seems almost mind-boggling to restrict the guild to a race only. Quite tricky.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Mathias
Apprentice

#18 Post by Mathias » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:03 am

Yes! There definitly needs to be a human race guild! The tshaharks have been waiting for the humans to organize for a long time.

Many tshaharks have also been patiently waiting for the completion of the Tshahark castle. The tshaharks nead a place to call home and become citizens too. Finally we would be able to finish our well thought out, extreemly intricate and complex plans for over-running Arborea and once and for all achieve our glorious goal of the complete and utter destruction of the human race! Muahahaha! :twisted:
This must be done soon though. I think the humans are starting to get suspicious...

eirikeld
Professional

#19 Post by eirikeld » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm not certain that every races needs to have a guild to start with. I know the topic was humans, but I think it applies to all races the same. I mean, i would love to have 30 active guilds, There's no player base for that yet, as has been pointed out. I do agree with Mathias in one sense. I think the Tshaharks should be the first to get a guild, or perhaps the halflings for the same reason. They've no specific city to call home. While the great Halfling Empire keeps being referred to, the references are typically farcical in nature. The Tshahark's castle, though, seems real enough. So, what would a tshahark guild entail? Perhaps special tshahark skills, like tail attacks or something. Give them a political structure to work them selves in to, without having to choose between crusader or Evren.

Do the humans need a racial guild? Not particularly. Arborea already houses many guilds. If it did get a racial guild, maybe make it a sort of factional, fanatical, humans only in arborea group that discouraged, through whatever means, other races from establishing a presence in their beloved city. The game has some back story to support such a view existing already, and I think this could be worked in.[/i]

isengoo
Champion

#20 Post by isengoo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:52 pm

I'd imagine a tshahark castle just being a big meat storehouse where pack mentality would set in. More primal than anything.