Asral karma

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

isengoo
Champion

Asral karma

#1 Post by isengoo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm

I have a small question - how is Asral karma calculated? It seems to me that there exists two categories of karma: good and bad. Taniel and the sort are pleased with good karma, while Sathonys and the sort are pleased with bad karma. So, donating to beggars and killing undeads pleases Taniel and other good gods whereas ignoring beggars and slaughtering mercilessly pleases Sathonys and other bad gods.

Makes sense.

But where does Asral fit? It seems that he has been lumped in with the good gods, which doesn't exactly make sense to me. Isengorn must donate to the poor and not engage in combat with any good beings in order to have high Asral karma, two valiantly noble deeds, which confuses me. Asral is a war and death god, after all, which isn't intrinsically good in any sense. I understand that the Asral system used to work so that if you had malevolent reputation, your miracles worked better, which is quite different from how the system works now.

Could this please be addressed?

Abharsair
Site Admin

#2 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Actually in order to please Asral with your karma, you need it slightly "negative".

isengoo
Champion

#3 Post by isengoo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Really? I could swear it was the opposite. Thanks for clearing that up.

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 am

Major good gods- Taniel, Evren
Minor good gods- Gwen
Neutral gods- Zhakrin
Minor evil gods- Asral
Major evil gods- Lilith, Sathonys

Delmon
Champion

#5 Post by Delmon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:50 pm

This is kind of random... but, If you get attacked as a Lilithian by orcs, and you kill them, does that lower favour and karma towards lilith?

Olrane
Champion

#6 Post by Olrane » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Yes. A good Lilithian does not get into fights with orcs.

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:41 am

A good worshipper doesn't kill fellow worshippers. Unfortunately for Lilithians, a large chunk of enemies in the game worship Lilith.

Sairina
Hero

#8 Post by Sairina » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:08 am

Obviously the orcs are no good worshippers then, since they do attack their PC collegues... :lol:

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:40 am

Depends on the circumstance.

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:18 pm

i would like to ressurect this topic, mainly because i don't think if someone worships lilith all the orcs would know and knot attack them. but im fairly certain undeads don't attack sathos worshippers.

could anyone help out?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Some undeads do attack Sathos, and some undeads don't. And there's some goblinoids that won't attack Lilithians under a certain prerequisite, and other goblinoids that attack regardless.

So, there's a mix of both situations.

Delmon
Champion

#12 Post by Delmon » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:50 am

Being a lilithian seems like one of the hardest things in geas. lets not talk about the stupid goblins that do not attack you(lost experience if you ask me).... nor the fact that if you attack them your favour worsens... nor the fact ogres and trolls and giants attack you and you loose favour if you retaliate. personally, i think there is really a strange yet very good reason noone(i know of) is a true lilithian follower.

Good luck anyone attempting the extremly hard...

You're gonna be owned.

Devi
Hero

#13 Post by Devi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:12 am

(lost experience if you ask me)
Finding things to hunt is only a problem if you're a powergamer, but even that isn't so bad once you know your way around. There are literally hundreds of non-Lilithian monsters. Many evil characters get by without hunting orcs. It just takes some creativity.
Delmon wrote:i think there is really a strange yet very good reason noone(i know of) is a true lilithian follower.
I would say that there aren't many because it's evil without the support. You can't become a priest or join the order, so you're much more limited. Most people who want an evil character will settle for a Sathonite. I think it has much less to do with the hunting restriction.

It'd be nice to see more people try it, despite its difficulty. I have a huge soft spot for the calculating, seductive female archetype. Femme fatale for the win!

Delmon
Champion

#14 Post by Delmon » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 am

I have a huge soft spot for the calculating, seductive female archetype.
Finding things to hunt is only a problem if you're a powergamer
It just takes some creativity
eh, yeah...
Now you know why I thought it was hard to play...
again, good luck with lilithians.

Olrane
Champion

Re: Asral karma

#15 Post by Olrane » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:05 am

I've always wanted to play a real Lilithian, but it's really really hard. Kudos to anyone who works at it, what with favour checks and no guild backbone or even safe zone (ah, I'd love to see the resurrection of Ironhold...)

Maybe someday I'll have the balls to do it for more than just a few weeks.

tessa
Overlord

#16 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:20 pm

To make it even more fun, even some of the sathos hate lilys. ;)

Living life as a lily is definitely hard right now. Be prepared for life as a loner unless you can sweet-talk some people into your pocket. And social visits are often hard, considering most consist of hunts to goblin camps.

But, to me, life as a lily isn't to openly fight good, or make buddies, or preach about faith to others, or any of that sort. The job is to manipulate, corrupt, pilfer, assassinate, blackmail, backstab, eavesdrop, mislead, and create chaos and strife amongst others, usually in the shadows without anyone suspecting you, namely for greedy self-profit, or the personal glee of making other people miserable for entertainment. Often, this job is best done alone, anyway.

Of course, that's just my personal view on it (as least as things are now, perhaps goals would change a bit if a lilithian clergy or solid playerbase came about), not necessarily how all would have to play. But that theme is definitely a heavy-thinking RP and not something to just casually do one day.

anglachel
Site Admin

#17 Post by anglachel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:43 am

There are seven deities:
Good gods: Taniel, Evren
Neutral gods: Gwen,Zhakrin,Asral
Evil gods: Lilith, Sathonys

So Asral counts as a neutral god, but with a tendency to the evil side.
Gwen counts as a neutral god, but with a tendency to the good side.