Use of wiki vs. forum

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Devi
Hero

Use of wiki vs. forum

#1 Post by Devi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:23 am

I have a few questions about general ic world stuff. Where is the best place to post them?

In more general terms, when is the wiki supposed to be used instead of the forum and vice versa?

aragog
Professional

#2 Post by aragog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:29 am

Well, according to Abharsair, the forum or guildboards should be used for discussions while the wiki can be used for posting descriptions, etc. without discussion but for others to follow up and correct or change.

poAra
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Use of wiki vs. forum

#3 Post by Abharsair » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:33 am

Devi wrote:I have a few questions about general ic world stuff. Where is the best place to post them?

In more general terms, when is the wiki supposed to be used instead of the forum and vice versa?
The Wiki should be used for character profiles, logs and to collaborate on projects. E.g. if you and someone else decide you write your own player house or maybe a little area, you can start a page with the descriptions and layout, restrict the access to the people who participate in it, and start adding to it or improve someone else's typos. Once you are done a wizard then can put it into code.

If you just want to ask several questions the forum would be a better place, unless it contains material which isn't suitable for the public.

Devi
Hero

#4 Post by Devi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:16 am

Okay thanks!

I'll post it in the forum then.

genesis
Wizard

#5 Post by genesis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

How to restrict access in Wiki?
Genesis the ideaSpawner

eirikeld
Professional

#6 Post by eirikeld » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:50 pm

there are a few ways. see the help files, they're seriously useful. RTFM!

Also, it depends on how you want to restrict it, and what you wish to restrict. You can only let certain people read it, but none except yourself change things, you can let the world read it, but only certain ones change it, you can make and use groups [see druids, alchemists, wizards], all kinds of options.

Generally, it goes with the format...

* Set ALLOWTOPICCHANGE <comma separated list of names and groups>

you can specify allow or deny, but be careful not to leave allow blank, as it then thinks NO ONE is allowed to make changes.

The help file from the manual is here... http://wiki.geas.de/view/TWiki/TWikiAccessControl

Or, as it's a less and less well kept secret I'm poKerlorin as well, find me in game, and I'll go OOC to chat, or hit my IM from Kerlorin's wiki page http://wiki.geas.de/view/Main/KerLorin