Experience

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Experience

#21 Post by Abharsair » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:10 am

vurdijak wrote:I would think that constructive criticism of the game would be welcomed and not considered 'odd' or unfairly labeled 'anti-RP'.
I didn't say your criticism is odd, I said the reasoning behind your criticism strikes me as odd. The way I was phrasing it should make it fairly obvious that it's my personal opinion and not a claim to be an undeniable fact.

And if you want me to elaborate on that:
amrat wrote:Geas is a multi-user fighting game, where roleplaying is allowed and staying IC is enforced.
to which you replied
vurdijak wrote:I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you for clarifying it for me in words I probably could not have put together.
The answer is: Geas is not built for non-fighters, so dont expect to be on equal footing if you choose to play one.
Considering that criticizing the way how experience is distributed within a game is usually found more among the less RP-oriented and more achievement-oriented groups of a MUD, I personally find the above mentioned quotes in connection with the original post a bit odd, especially if one takes into account that it's perfectly fine and possible to roleplay something else than a fighter, and to excel in many other non-fighting skills or professions without having to kill ("to kill" as in combat experience) anything.

eirikeld
Professional

#22 Post by eirikeld » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:52 pm

If a non-combative character is missing out on xp, I believe they should be concerned. They could use that XP to further their chosen non-combative profession, by raising their Int or Wis that much higher.

However, if as Abh. says it is truly "completely negligible and irrelevant in comparrison" then I am not overly concerned.

I suppose I also have one related question. Does sparring against other PC's raise xp in a combat sense, or only by the resulting skill improvement?

luminier
Overlord

#23 Post by luminier » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:25 pm

answering eirikeld.... i think that sparring does raise your experience because it is possible to gian improvements from sparring especially fighting someone similar or highger than your own skill level... ( at least in my experience) and experience had been gained for me just from skill imps and not from fighting. Fighting i don't think gives you anything... it's the killing. (maybe) =P
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

jezz
Hero

#24 Post by jezz » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:35 pm

Really, call me stupid but I'm trying it hard and I don't see the necessity for xp's for a player who theoretically is not interested in powergaming.

If you're a bard and an alchemist, what is the big deal if your wisdom is halfway to epic dis instead of very far?

I'm thinking about it over and over and maybe it is my lack of knowledge about the code of GEAS but... why powergame with a character that is apparently only interested in rp and enjoy the awesome possibilities of craftmanship from GEAS?

Raise two points in wind instrument instead of one each two days?

krelji
Hero

#25 Post by krelji » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:19 pm

jezz wrote:If you're a bard and an alchemist, what is the big deal if your wisdom is halfway to epic dis instead of very far?

I'm thinking about it over and over and maybe it is my lack of knowledge about the code of GEAS but... why powergame with a character that is apparently only interested in rp and enjoy the awesome possibilities of craftmanship from GEAS?

Raise two points in wind instrument instead of one each two days?
I wished the wis and int of my char were anywhere close to half to epic. :)
Sometimes it can be quite distracting if you rp your char as being more
intelligent and wise than his stats would suggest.
I am long past the point where skillpoints or xp's would bother me much,
but it's still distracting - especially since I tend to have problems playing
stupid chars.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delia
Overlord

#26 Post by Delia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:38 pm

A question about DIS.

Does it improve only with combat skills? As in, discipline representing bravery and all that, or can one raise DIS with non-combat pursuits(skills) as well?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#27 Post by tessa » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 pm

I would guess so, Tessa has especially high dis and hardly any combat skills.

vurdijak
Hero

DIS

#28 Post by vurdijak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am

I was under the impression that anytime you get a skill improve or earn experience, that amount of experience is distruted according to your stat selection. Is this correct? If so, you could enhance your DIS by adventuring as usual and gaining experience for any activity, but have your DIS stat set fairly high.

jezz
Hero

#29 Post by jezz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 am

You can have your int as high as you want, but if everything you do is fighting, I doubt it will go up very fast...

isengoo
Champion

#30 Post by isengoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Some skills affect stats differently. Fighter skills -> strength and constitution, thief skills -> dexterity and agility, mage skills -> intelligence and wisdom, and what have you.

About discipline, I would imagine it's a more general type of stat, with most skills affecting it equally.

vurdijak
Hero

skills

#31 Post by vurdijak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Alright, so if that is true and some skills effect certain stats differently, then what would happen to a tshahark fighter who allocated most of his stats to wis/int? I doubt this happens much, if ever, but as a hypothetical, would he earn less experience in total from his fighting?
By the way, I am NOT saying he should earn the same, less, or more experience or making any sort of passive assertion. Rather I really am curious as to how this works.

Another point, that if what you have both said is true, then allocating stats is sort of like a game, where you try to match your stat allocation to your actions as closely as possible. Is this how you two view it?

tessa
Overlord

#32 Post by tessa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:42 pm

I think tshaharks' int and wis caps are around 10, so putting most of their prefs in int/wis won't be possible.

And, I think what you do ultimately determines how your stats grow. Currently, Tessa has most of her statprefs in str/dex/agi/con, since they are the lowest stats for her, and 5 in int, wis, and dis. Despite that, her mentals increase just as fast, if not faster, than her physical stats. Incidentally, almost all the skills she improves are mental ones, and not physical.

vurdijak
Hero

experience

#33 Post by vurdijak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Alright, so in your scenario, I'm guessing you arent playing a 'matching game', by trying to match your stats as closely as possible to the 'types of experience' you earn?

tessa
Overlord

#34 Post by tessa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Nope, I'm trying to put the most xp into my lowest stats, and the least xp in my highest stats. But, my stat growth still seems to reflect what I do most often, which is mental stuff.

Though IMO, this makes sense. I shouldn't become faster, healthier, or stronger from reading a book or practicing different languages.

Olrane
Champion

#35 Post by Olrane » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:53 pm

I think one of the best things about this MUD is that stat preferences do NOT dictate very much how your character develops. The vast majority of stat development comes from skills that are clearly tied to certain stats, most of which the player can guess or approximate, or are explicitly said. It's obvious that something like open lock or sharpening helps dexterity, while something like drinking possibly helps constitution.

In fact, some people have argued that stat preferences already play too much of a role in character development, especially in regards to quests. From my experience, anyway, quests give experience exactly or nearly exactly along stat preference lines, thus allowing characters to artificially boost stats that do not deserve experience based on actual skills.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say that I like the balance right now. Most stats improve along skill lines, while each skill improve seems to give a slight boost to non-related stats based on preferences. As Tessa said, actions tend to determine stats, despite unmatched preferences.

vurdijak
Hero

stats

#36 Post by vurdijak » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 am

Good points. Yeah I think the system is fair, for distributing experienced earned. Are quests the only type of experience earning that are generic in that sense, in that they give experience according to your preferences?

tessa
Overlord

#37 Post by tessa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 am

Probably explore xp too.

luminier
Overlord

#38 Post by luminier » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:58 am

explore xp is next to nothing.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#39 Post by tessa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 am

It varies, just like quests. Some are small, some are not. I have gotten quest-sized xp before just from exploring new areas thoroughly.

Delia
Overlord

#40 Post by Delia » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:16 am

Given the fact there are TONS of places with explore-exp its not to be viewed lightly.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra