Hmmmmmmm

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

jezz
Hero

#21 Post by jezz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:51 pm

The only other reason I can find apart that bows were changed since Delia used them is that the bowmans at shaolin temple are somehow overpowered, either them or their bows, because apparently they can shoot even in darkness but...

*shakes his head*

No, no, bows were simply made stronger after Delia stopped to use them :)

jothir

#22 Post by jothir » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Hehehehe...

endellion
Journeyman

#23 Post by endellion » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Now, the question is - what did the Sathos do with all the arrows that were shot at them?

I wonder how well those would shoot from a Ranger bow?

*ponders*

Delia
Overlord

#24 Post by Delia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I can sense a lucrative side-business for the monks here...

"Hear Ye Hear Ye! Come get your own, steel arrows very specially blessed by the monk order. Guaranteed success against the Sathonite Clergy and other forces of darkness!"
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Blizt
Hero

#25 Post by Blizt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 pm

Delia wrote:I am quite surprised if the bows are really that powerful, I mean Delia had archery at around 80 at somepoint and it was REALLY hard to seriously damage or even to hit anything with elven bow + elven arrows. Guess something must have changed since then. Good for the Shao Temple atleast, to know that the bum-lazy archers aren't paid for nothing ;)
I do not know if anything has changed, but I have missile over 80, and I use a great bow and elven arrows, and I never get anything similar to what happened to Jezz, unless it is against goblins. Not even that much success with orcs.

I think the guards are just lucky, and like Abha said..........The Sathos had it coming!

Itenin
Journeyman

#26 Post by Itenin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:36 am

Just saw this. I am both amused and pleased. :twisted:

jezz
Hero

#27 Post by jezz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:06 am

To say the truth, we did it because no player seemed to be able to catch Jezz so we wanted to give you a incentive *sticks tongue out*

The second reason was to start the shao-lin steel arrow season! Sathos were the firsts, but don't miss this chance to go to the orb temple and get your mithril armours pierced like butter from the next room! Here is one of our customers:

- "Greetings Phelan"

- "Ey, what's up"

- "How did it feel to wear a full set of mithril armours and experience what a naked char feels against Vlad?"

- "Holy cow, it was great, I think I reached a level above bleeding awfully"

There you have fellas! Don't miss this chance to enjoy what you can't in other zones of GEAS: Total ownage by shao-lin bowmans!

Remember, if you don't try it, you will never be able to say:

I Had It Coming!

Abharsair
Site Admin

#28 Post by Abharsair » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:27 am

Just thought I should add that steel arrows are worse than elven ones...

aragog
Professional

#29 Post by aragog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 am

Just thought I should add that steel arrows are worse than elven ones...
Oh, really? I think I noticed...somehow...

:roll:
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

anglachel
Site Admin

#30 Post by anglachel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Here sometning about the archer who makes the kills. It was always the same girl!

The blond-eyed gray-haired female elf introduces herself as: Jacilor, the famous sharpshooter.
You ask Jacilor in Common: job
Jacilor says in Common: It is my job to protected the temple here.
Jacilor says in Common: I watch the stairs and check those who pass.
Jacilor says in Common: If they aren't allowed here, or decide to make trouble ...
Jacilor points at her elven longbow.
Jacilor grins slightly.
Jacilor says in Common: I'm a famous sharpshooter afterall.
Jacilor winks.

Think she has the right ttlte :evil:

tessa
Overlord

#31 Post by tessa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm

For all those wanna-be archers out there (that do not try to kill us or raid our temples):

Pay the Shaolin 50 gold, and Jacilor will give you 5 hours of personal archery tutoring. Successful results guaranteed, or you... get shot.

ryan
Apprentice

bad luck?

#32 Post by ryan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:46 am

I don't get why you think missile is not powerful enough. Look at this (happened with active darkness):

A crossbow bolt hits your torso, but does no damage.

You feel a cold draught as a crossbow bolt passes your head.

A crossbow bolt hits your torso, but does no damage.

A crossbow bolt hits your abdomen, but does no damage.

A crossbow bolt hits your head, critically wounding you!
Your wounds start to bleed.
As the a crossbow bolt drills between your eyes you feel the world
fading to black.
You died. You can see your dead body from above.
Your ghost state allows you to travel 'start'.

jezz
Hero

#33 Post by jezz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 am

Imagine what people could do if they'd use what the MUD already offers them, like the chance to bless the arrows ;)

*keeps his personal crusade to promote the use of bows*

Olrane
Champion

#34 Post by Olrane » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:35 pm

I think that one of the reasons why missile is in effect very weak (while shooting into another room) is that it is limited to one shot, at least as far as I know. I couldn't rain down arrows on another person in another room in a PK situation, I don't think, whereas a computer character (or characters) could.
If I'm wrong, correct me.

vurdijak
Hero

olrane's post

#35 Post by vurdijak » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 pm

I am not sure I know the answer to this, but I will say that I think some advantage is given to archers in really good positioning. For instance in most PvP situations you are shooting at someone who is possibly behind other people or facing you at the least. I guess this is the PvP 'field battle', as opposed to the 'siege' where a defender archer has taken an advantageous position and can shoot arrows DOWN on the attacker. Both NPCs and players can shoot down like this at attackers with dramatic effect, at least in one place I know of.

EDIT: I realized you were talking about shooting from room to room. Players and NPCs can shoot into a different room with great effect, but the damage is more (I think) when this is done from an advantageous defensive position.

Olrane
Champion

#36 Post by Olrane » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

It's nice to hear that there's some kind of terrain benefit in siege situations somewhere in the game, if I understand you correctly.

My last post was mostly in response to Ryan's post...such a situation could never be replicated by players, because a player gets one chance....because the shooter(s) with the crossbow got so many chances, the chance of the critical hit was much higher than if it were done by a player.

luminier
Overlord

#37 Post by luminier » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 pm

if this is the case then from a tree you should be able to look east down or north down for example. as far as I know.... you can't. i think if you take the time to get your missile quite high then it should be fairly powerful just like anything else when it is a high skill level. im not asking for headshots that make having a good missile game breaking but im asking for a simple solid hit for having a good skill level.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

isengoo
Champion

#38 Post by isengoo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:05 pm

But, there already are headshots, Luminier :P

luminier
Overlord

#39 Post by luminier » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 am

lol oh i know trust me, but i meant like you aim for the head and get a headshot everytime with a high missile skill. as cool as it would be lumi doens't need to be the next robinhood. i just want to be able to maybe kill someone in a different room with an arrow or at least hurt them pretty badly once i get a missile skill around 80.... seems reasonable right? =)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

#40 Post by Olrane » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:17 am

Frankly, I think that one should be able to shoot multiple times at a target in another room. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to hit them if they were hidden or left, so that's one thing they can do against this. I of course don't think that people should easily get bull's eye headshots from another room.

I just see this. Jacilor and the other shaolin guards can fire multiple times. The crossbowman in Ryan's example fired multiple times.
It doesn't make sense in the game universe that a player character would not be able to do so.

Would this be overpowered? I don't think so. As I said, another player character would probably get the hell out of there or find the bowman and engage him in close quarters combat. As for fighting against NPCs, it still doesn't seem overpowered. It's an alternative way to fight, and lets an accomplished bowman avoid the fray. Shouldn't he be able to?

This is I think just a case of arbitrary and self-contradicting piece of code.
If the power of missiles would need to be nerfed in response to multiple attacks being allowable, I think that would be fine.