Informing NPCs

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tessa
Overlord

#21 Post by tessa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Delmon wrote:maby it would be good to have the barbarians give information to anyone regardless of "reputation." Because I would say if i was a barbarian and someone i knew just got their throat cut by aragog, id probably tell her what i know...
These barbarians literally fight against the odds, even in the face of death, for the glory of Asral. I doubt you're going to intimidate them; they'd prefer going down fighting. Especially considering the benefits of dying (feasting in Asral's great halls with war heroes), to the consequences of cowardice (forever shaming Asral and their people, likely being exiled from their tribe, etc.).
Delmon wrote:I dont see why they wouldnt... asrals are slightly evil as is
I've always seen the barbarians as fiercely neutral and independent, not giving a damn under what flag of alignment one fights for. I think they'd judge more on one's ability in combat than one's morales. AKA, respect is earned, not given.

I would actually be interested in seeing the people of Asador forcing the barbarians from their side of the tundra, and employing warg-mounted Asador-loyal patrols or the like across their land instead, who, of course, would favour the Sathonites and loathe the forces of good. But something along these lines would be for the Asador PCs and wizards to discuss, if it was even an interesting idea.

Ultimately though, I think this discussion about the barbarians is largely trivial until theoretical fears are actually confirmed. Which, from what I can tell so far, are still hypotheticals.

Delmon
Champion

#22 Post by Delmon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:35 pm

well, regardless of the barbarians, i think it would balance out the rep system if horrible rep earned the same a saint reputation. Maby?
I think they'd judge more on one's ability in combat than one's morales. AKA, respect is earned, not given.
Sathos can fight decent... so now barbarians should respect them AND consider them scum of the earth. So now they REALLy should give them information. Ha!

tessa
Overlord

#23 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Sure. Now it's just a matter for people to learn how to avoid getting bad reputation with them. I have a pretty good idea of what causes it, but I don't want to be a spoilsport and give it away here.