Faith question

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

gojin
Master

#21 Post by gojin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:33 am

I can see a person who acknowledges and respects the gods, but doesn't devote himself to one, as a rare case. Perhaps the person just doesn't feel a close bond for any of the gods, or hasn't had a life-altering experience to put him in some god's debt or something.
Out of curiousity, why would this be a rare case. When trying to consider how god worship is on Geas the best historical analogy I can think of is the Greek Pantheon(as I am not as familiar with the Norse). As I understand it the Greek had their devotees to specific gods but by and large the average Greek acknowledged the existence of the gods and respected them but did not devote. Is Geas so different?

Blizt
Hero

#22 Post by Blizt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:40 am

Well, as far as I know....the Greeks never actually witnessed their Gods interfere with mortal lives, they just had myths and lore.

On Geas, it happens. It is obvious. Everyone can see it, even your character.

So yeah, there is a difference in my opinion.

gojin
Master

#23 Post by gojin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:06 am

Well, as far as I know....the Greeks never actually witnessed their Gods interfere with mortal lives, they just had myths and lore.

On Geas, it happens. It is obvious. Everyone can see it, even your character
But the Greeks(at least the vast majority, unless there was a large atheist population among them) believed that their gods existed and believed that they interfered with mortal lives. Believing is believing. Ive never seen my own heart beat but I believe it exists.

And yes my char can see it, has seen it and does believe.

tessa
Overlord

#24 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:16 am

gojin wrote:Out of curiousity, why would this be a rare case.
Because it's safe to say that most people of GEAS worship one god or another. IE; the majority of Arboreans are going to be Asralite, the majority of elves will worship Taniel, so on and so forth.

So, assuming Gojin worshipped no god, he's hardly a representation of the however many Taniel-worshipping elves that dwell in Elvandar. And, considering how many Taniel-worshipping elves, or god-worshipping people theoretically exist in the world of GEAS, it's safe to say that individuals like Gojin will be in the minority.

Also, GEAS is generally a Henotheism, which is basically what you described.

gojin
Master

#25 Post by gojin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 am

Because it's safe to say that most people of GEAS worship one god or another. IE; the majority of Arboreans are going to be Asralite, the majority of elves will worship Taniel, so on and so forth.

So, assuming Gojin worshipped no god, he's hardly a representation of the however many Taniel-worshipping elves that dwell in Elvandar.
Just for the record Goj does worship the gods, but if Geas is truly Henotheistic(thanks for the new word by the way :wink: ) the fact that he worships more than one could make him an outcast regardless.

Ive come to realize that my argument is mostly semantic. I would honestly feel so much better if my stats read "Of all the Gods Asral has the most faith in you" as opposed to "You worship Asral" simply because Goj actually worships 2 other gods FAR more than he does Asral(Hes listened to few sermons out of politeness to the cleric giving them). I did listen to the sermon so that is my fault and Im more or less going to fix it ic so no prob. Am done with the original reason for this thread but if anyone wishes to discuss religion in Geas further im still willing :)

Just to be sure... if I do not sacrifice or listen to sermons of any other gods but keep bad favour with the god I do sacrifice, etc to I wont lose them as the god I worship, will I?

tessa
Overlord

#26 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:57 am

gojin wrote:Just for the record Goj does worship the gods, but if Geas is truly Henotheistic(thanks for the new word by the way :wink: ) the fact that he worships more than one could make him an outcast regardless.
Right, I was using no-god Gojin just as an example. And I say GEAS is 'generally' Henotheistic, because there are some characters that will sacrifice to more than just one god, but the current system seems designed to encourage people with sticking just to one, with gods seemingly getting angry if you sacrifice to a different god (especially an enemy god).

Generally, I think sacrificing to multiple gods is not viewed differently from mortals as sacrificing to just one. It would be the gods' views that would be different.

Also, I'll give credit to Naga for introducing the term 'henotheistic' to GEAS theology, as I didn't know about it either until he mentioned it.