Sharpness and Condition of weapons

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Sharpness and Condition of weapons

#1 Post by ganandorf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 pm

I don't know about anybody else but to me that sharpness skill seems to be a bit of a waste, when youre thinking about the condition of a sword the first thign that comes to mind is sharpness, so wouldnt that make sharpness and condition overlap. So what im thinking is, kind of an idea (maybe it belongs in the idea section) but why not have the sharpness effect the condition?

It just seems to me basically that these two different things (sharpness + condition) seem to represent the same thing. maybe its just me
Meow

Staltos
Professional

Re: Sharpness and Condition of weapons

#2 Post by Staltos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 pm

I like the way it is now. The way I see it (lets use a sword for example), if a sword is in bad condition, the handle is loosened, there's nicks and cracks in the blade. The blade might even be bent slightly, and the hilt might be damaged. Whereas, sharpeness only applies to the edge of the blade.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Okay. But when you go to get your sword repaired, the smithy used a hammer and anvil? how does that effect the hilt in any way shape or form, hammer anvil is used to flatten the blade is it not?

unless im just imagining it completely different
but i do understand what you mean about the hilt and such
Meow

ganandorf
Overlord

#4 Post by ganandorf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 pm

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, and if it doesnt change i dont really care, i was just wondering to be completely honest
Meow

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 pm

I think more than anything, it's a balance issue. All weapons have a condition, whereas only certain weapon classes have blades. This allows for more variability with bladed weapons and more reward for well-maintained ones. The huge malus of a dull blade balances out well with the fact that blunt weapons degrade in quality more slowly.

Also, I think it's fair enough to assume that the smith is not simply banging on the blade but making whatever repairs are necessary. That's more of an issue of roleplay extrapolation, as you always must do anyway with invisible NPCs and whatnot.

ganandorf
Overlord

#6 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:35 pm

oh okay that make more sense, i always thought the smith just worked on the blade portion, because from what ive seen (movies etc.) smiths are those people with anvils and hammers that make and fix blades, but if the smiths in game fix the entire weapon, then that makes sense
Meow