What info is ok for Wiki?

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

gojin
Master

What info is ok for Wiki?

#1 Post by gojin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 am

Hey all,

Bored at 'work' so was writing a new page on wiki about past and present treasures in Geas. Am wondering if players would prefer some things, ie- guild artifacts or other 'secret' item, not be mentioned on Wiki. Wiki is supposed to be OOC but you know how that goes and also, I dont want to create Spoilers as it is fun to discover some of these things on your own.

Currently I only have a few well known things or pieces from Geas history but I could make a much more thorough page.

Opinions? Guidance?

PO Goj

jezz
Hero

Re: What info is ok for Wiki?

#2 Post by jezz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 am

I'm not really sure but I the idea behind our Wiki is to share ideas and concepts for projects in GEAS. That goes from descriptions for zones, monsters, etc.

Pieces of history have been posted before at the Wiki but I think the best way to share it would be writing a book in Geas ;)

anglachel
Site Admin

#3 Post by anglachel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:45 am

It is ok to write over ideas and 'common# information.
But there are some things that should not appear here:
- Solutions for quests
- Guild secrets
- Detail informations over (explore)-areas

For the thrid point it is a difficult to decide which information is 'common'.
In doubt better write too less too much. For many people it is much fun to find such information in the game by themselfs.

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:51 am

read mine, it's kinda bad, i wrote it when i was bored one night in like 30 minutes. but that should give you some idea.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 am

Luminier - I think he's talking about what is okay to mention publically or not, not how well or poorly it's written. ;)

I think would agree with Jezz on this point, though- I think that info. would probably serve better as an IC book in the game than as an OOC cliffnote bit on the wiki. Most of those items are not common knowledge, so it would probably be best to mention them IC so the new discoveries are not used in sketchy ways. Especially if you'll use the 'item was last seen with xxx' bits.

Olrane
Champion

#6 Post by Olrane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah. As a newbie, I read all about the darkelf ritual and other nifty secrets on the wiki, and I wish I hadn't. It's true that I was still intrigued, but I would have been ten times more if I had learned more of it in game. I'm still shocked and pleasantly surprised at how little I do know as a player, and of course how very little my new char knows...I get to rediscover it all again.
That's one of the coolest things about Geas. Stuff isn't just out there for all to see, there's no strategy guide, and I can't say how much I appreciate the numberless displays.

Edited for making sense - something I don't do too well in the morning.

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 pm

tessa wrote:Luminier - I think he's talking about what is okay to mention publically or not, not how well or poorly it's written. ;)

oh ahha yes i know, i meant read mine for an example of whats acceptable to put in, because as far as I know it hasn't been flagged yet.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.