Removal of experience gain messages

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Removal of experience gain messages

#1 Post by vurdijak » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Anyone else notice that we can no longer see whether we gain insignificant bits of experience or really big chunks? I personally like the change, since it is prompting me to type 'stats' a few less times per session. Anyone else have opinions on it?

Delia
Overlord

Re: Removal of experience gain messages

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:54 am

I think this was a rather good change as well.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

korsario
Experienced

#3 Post by korsario » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 am

Hiho,
In my oppinion the change had no big effect ok for old/big chars, but it had for young chars, when it could mean a lost of fun. I remember how nice it was to check stats after a while, and see a "little" progress, "slight" progress, and so on. And after quests :)
But anyway, this change "may be" can help with Rol playing?

Kors

Grindel
Veteran

#4 Post by Grindel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:00 am

The current stats command resembles very much the one in level based systems, so changes are definitely good.

However, if I had to make changes to the stats command, I would at first removed the rank/level display. As nothing in geas depends on specific levels, this information is just a summary and thus useless and even irritating.

Maybe the stats could be displayed similar to the skills, and give similar progress information ("You feel that your physical strength has increased", or so).

This would not harm roleplay, and would make the game feel as level-less as it is.

ganandorf
Overlord

#5 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 am

To be quite honest, im not a big fan of the changes to the stat system
When you are very far down in deaths, sometimes is good to see exactly
how much your stats have grown during your training/recovery session
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 am

Wasn't only the 'progress' bit removed? As far as I could tell nothing else changed. You should still see the stat recovery normally. Then again Delia hasn't went and died in a while so I don't know if there are any changes made there.

hsparks
Journeyman

#7 Post by hsparks » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 am

I liked tracking my exp gains. :( It's fun.

Although if someone doesn't want to see their stats they can always just not type stats or score. :p
"If there truly is an evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind."

vurdijak
Hero

#8 Post by vurdijak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:38 am

I think you should still be able to see stat recovery after a death, since the stats are still there. Its just the little experience increments that I noticed are missing. Anyone know of any other changes, or why this one was made?

ganandorf
Overlord

#9 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:43 am

Sorry, what i meant was, after a death, and after training sessions, i liked checking my stats and checking how much progress i had made for all the training that was done.
Meow

triska
Veteran

#10 Post by triska » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 am

I liked to see how much progress I had made for my sessions with say nibblers alone(insignificant) vs trolls(hopefully slight) as part of a team.

Sometimes too after a long time of play (maybe sharpening weapons with no skill gains) and being told no measured progress encourages me to be more physical since being social at the market is so frowned upon and little actual change for mere socializing. :roll:
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Delia
Overlord

#11 Post by Delia » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:08 am

Being social at the market is frowned on?

Anyways, after a while any slight, good or heaps or progress made starts to lose its significance. Serving perhaps only sense of progress if no actual stat or skill increases happen which both are a way better indication of exp-related improvement. One less thing to start obsessing about in my books.

Delia
Overlord

#12 Post by Delia » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 am

I think the 'level' indicator could stay as it is as it is quite vague in a way but in a way it isn't something that is ultimately needed. Players prefer to be able to see some such indicators though so...I cannot deny I am not at all curious when Delia reaches the next 'level'...but is it really something that is relevant? Ok, I could always not type the stats command or so but the curiosity of human beings be damned :P

In a way it would be fun if the sublevels of stats weren't shown at all. Players could only see 'You are weak/strong/clumsy/deft/whatever'. If not for anything else it could lead to strong warriors proudly engaging in feats of strength/agility in order to determine who is the top dog. Then again the accuracy of appraise and compare undermines this right away...I guess those suffering from (n)deaths and the PvP oriented would not appreciate anything the like though, which is in a way understandable.

Delmon
Champion

#13 Post by Delmon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:34 pm

In a way it would be fun if the sublevels of stats weren't shown at all
No way! That would be awful, especially for those who get into dying and recovering alot.... Its pure pain to get back up to full strength from zero. The sublevels kept me going at least...